Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/01/2007, 04:32 PM
Acro-Nut

Question What happened to CTARS?

I've been thinking about joining CTARS again, but I got to tell you guys that I have been really put off by the posts here.

Are the meetings any better than this forum??

I see lots of advice given by newer hobbyists, are there any experienced members left?

Right now I am thinking I am better off not being associated with this group......come on guys....give me some positive feedback on why I should join CTARS.

Last edited by pncstod; 04/01/2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04/01/2007, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

I'm still here
Old 04/01/2007, 05:25 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

i hear what your saying, and i agree, there has been alot of "heat" floating around here lately, but i dont think its a reason to not be in the club...

just my $.02, so now its a thread(just for you capthtfd )

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 04/01/2007, 05:57 PM
Acro-Nut

Hey Annick!!!!

I know there are still some good people here.

You know, a few minutes after I posted this I wish I hadn't. It really isn't my posting style. I usually try not to offend anyone. But honestly, I have been offended and I have been mostly lurking.

Just a few years ago this was a family type club. We hosted a meeting at our house and used to bring our "baby at the time" (btw he is starting kindergarden in the fall) to the meetings. Now if someone asked me to host a meeting I would think they were insane.

I would just like you guys to know that I miss seeing you monthly, but I would like to see this club have a little bit more class before I rejoin. To me, it's bad when even the LFS get involved with petty posts (BTW even though I see those LFS names in every other post....I have no desire to visit them).

I see people and talk with them.....and CTARS has a reputation of only looking for freebies and discounts.
Old 04/01/2007, 06:00 PM
reefaholic

One reason to join is that we are more focused now on getting speakers.

Another is with more members there are now greater possibilities of frag trading/selling.

Hope to see you back in the club! Those cube and seahorse tanks were way cool.

As to some of the comments here in this forum, I think if people would think of this before they type something - 'Would I say that in person to this group of people?' - then I think many of these posts wouldn't happen. It is much different saying something in person to a group, than typing something on a keyboard miles away. I have been guilty of that in past, but it is something I try to live by now.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)

Last edited by Obi-dad; 04/01/2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04/01/2007, 06:14 PM
Enjoying Life

I have to agree I joined this year thinking it was going to be a little different.

The meetings have ALOT more people so meeting in LFS's and homes (well, homes especialy) can't hold the number of members there are. There are always expericanced people putting their 2 cents in whenits needed.

However it is your own personal desicison not to join the club. People who have joined because of the LFS discounts and meetings. It is a fun club and so far anyone I have bumped into has been friendly. You have also got to realize that posts are also influenced by the mood of the person at the location in which they are at. So a person could be at home and have been in a fight am could be a little POed.

Just my 2 cents
Old 04/01/2007, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

I guess I'd call myself experienced, I used to post a lot...anyway I'm going off to college and selling my stuff so that's why I'm not around as much. But I agree, the club forum has declined...the meetings are better than ever. It does seem that the recent surge of new members is due to the signs at LFSs that state discounts...the signs are a great thing, but I think the club needs to advertise more of a "club" thing rather than a "join and get 10% off at this store" thing. Not that the club is doing that either...I just think that's the message getting conveyed.

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 04/01/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Here is why you should join CTARS and go to the meetings:
-great people- the posts on the board are made by a select few people for the most part. Most of us still use the board for trading information and corals. I would say that the board does not always represent the club and its members and lots of the people who waste board space with their inane posts and lack of actual information don't even go to the meetings anyway.
-great meetings- a chance to sit down and chat with friends who share a common interest and meet new people as well. I have been a member for a year and a half now and have met some really great people, and Jas too.
-to work with the rest of us to make this hobby what it should be, self sustaining and zero impact on the environment. The speaker at the last meeting really did a great job of calling us to action, and if you didn't come, you missed it.
Don't let the board ruin CTARS for you, there is much more to the club than the board. Join again, come to the meetings and enjoy yourself and reefkeeping.
Jon
I hear the next meeting will be great, its at my school where we are doing coral prop. research.
Old 04/01/2007, 07:24 PM
Acro-Nut

All really great points guys!!

I did hear about that last speaker and I am really sorry I missed it.
Old 04/01/2007, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

CTARS has some great members. Most of the senior members are awesome. I think in the last year many new members enjoy the forum for BS more than they actually enjoy the hobby. It's like posting on CTARS is their hobby.

I usually do not make my PMs public but I think this particular PM is one that you all should see. I am not going to reveil who sent it to me. To me it is nothing but harrassment. I have never met him or have had any dealings with him. He also did not repond back to me when I asked him how it was reef related.

Last edited by my2girls; 04/01/2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04/01/2007, 07:39 PM
Enjoying Life

Where is it?
Old 04/01/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

it was delated my two girls and the link is gone where did it go
Old 04/01/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

When I linked it you could see who it was from so I edited it out. I'm working on a way for you to see it.
Old 04/01/2007, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

Here is the pic he sent me. No subject, nothing else.

Last edited by my2girls; 04/01/2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04/01/2007, 08:15 PM
1coral;qd;prn

nice image filename
Old 04/01/2007, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the heads up on the filename. Fixed it.
Old 04/01/2007, 09:05 PM
Lil'LebowskiUrbanAchiever

CTARS...

Paul,

You should join this club because your knowledge and experience is priceless. The rookies (myself included) always need free advice to keep their fancy pet rocks alive.

That reminds me - everyone, test your water now! Salinity, Calcium, Hardness, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Phosphate, Magnesium, TDS, and don't forget Boron, if you know me, that's my version of comedy (Jon Tarutis can vouch). At least give your skimmer cup a good scrubbing...

Paul, your old 120 starfire cube in your living room was my MAJOR inspiration to get down and dirty with reefs. I went out and bought halides and a calcium reactor after the last meeting at your house when I LOST the election for VP in your basement. I'll never forget seeing the lineatus and laboutei (sp?) wrasse in that tank. Still love those fish!

Wether you join or not, I will always look forward to bumping in to you at LFS...

About the tone of the CTARS forum - that will always be up to the user. Despite most comments coming from CTARS members, the opinions expressed are only opinions and must be taken as such.

This club is great and is getting better with each meeting. I'd like to thank the board for their expensive "free" time donated for the benefit of others so that the next piece of coral purchased/taken from the wild will thrive in captivity and be fragged and traded to reduce and eventually eliminate the need for wild caught specimens - that's why I'm in this club, a little reef conservation goes a long way in my book and the last speaker ( Dr. Frank Marini ) really helped me appreciate the time energy and effort spent on captive breeding of salt water fish.

The future of CTARS is bright. Very bright.

I fragged it once and I aint afraid to frag it again!
Old 04/01/2007, 09:38 PM
CT Area Reef Society

you should join because one day you could have a tank that looks as good as mine. heres a pic for you all to drool over.

this is a great club. i know we have had our fair share of "posts gone wrong", but that is only a select few, 99.9% of the people in this club are awesome (minus jon lol). some are very knowledgable and willing to help out.
Old 04/01/2007, 10:11 PM
Coral Killer

what we really need is our own forum on our own site so we can squash the bickering before it gets out of control RD
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 04/02/2007, 12:34 AM
Moved On

GOOD ONE MR PINK FLOYD THAT MADE MY DAY JOIN WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOOSE TAKE THE GOOD WITH THE BAD, IT'S WAY MORE GOOD THAN BAD.
Old 04/02/2007, 01:23 AM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

pncstod,
re-join C.T.A.R.S because...
- you love reefing
- you love talking and being around people that love reefing as well.
- to learn and teach about reefing more than you ever have before.
- to swap rare frags that you otherwise may have never seen or had access to.
- the meetings are better than this forum
- experienced members are still around and more joining all the time
- like pl-reef stated before, 99.9% of the members are awesome.
- you miss seeing these guys every month and you don't want to miss the guest speakers or coming events anymore...

Unfortunately it's true, "there's too many members to hold a meeting in any normal house." Sorry to disappoint you, there's nothing like being at home.

Also, contrary to popular belief most members joined because they want to learn and swap frags or other live stock with other members like themselves, not for freebies and discounts..."although they don't hurt." Just because the club or stores offer them, doesn't mean you have to accept..."though most gladly do."

By you lurking on these boards I already consider you a member, you just haven't made it official yet. Anyways, welcome again to the
club..."nice to have you." Ben

Last edited by benray4fun; 04/02/2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04/02/2007, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pncstod
I have been mostly lurking.
Well, stop lurking and come to the next meeting! I miss seeing you guys! Well, Paul was always the one I saw the most but that's only because he towers over everybody else

And stop reminding me how old your son is getting...it makes me feel old
Old 04/02/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

I agree with Annick and the others, come back to the club!! You both have forgotten more than most of us will ever know about reefing. Your expertise can help the rest of us as we try to make our small contribution to saving the reefs of the ocean through aquaculture. Besides, we miss you. I can't believe your son is entering kindergarten!! In my mind he's still 18 months old.
Old 04/02/2007, 09:37 AM
Ho hummer...

hmmm

I will comment later after i get my membership card that i paid for over a year ago..

I went back and forth with someone several times about them mailing my card out and even after sending my address several times, I till haven't received it..

It's things like this that make people leave clubs..

All in all, great bunch of people here and THAT'S the ONLY reason I am still here.. But, i don't see myself paying for membership again and have my money vanish in thin air with nothing to show for it..
Old 04/02/2007, 09:45 AM
Lil'LebowskiUrbanAchiever

PM Sent

I fragged it once and I aint afraid to frag it again!