Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/07/2005, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

MORE MORE MORE!!!
Old 07/07/2005, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

PLAYTIME!

WANNA PLAY TIM???

Okay, it is a crappy pic, but give me a break, it was a camera phone.....blah.
Old 07/08/2005, 12:26 AM
Nothing to put here

I just spent a good amount of time reading this whole thread and I must say it is excellent. I was contemplating getting a mantis but this pretty much sealed the deal. I can only hope he will be 1/10 as entertaining as Tim. Keep up the good work DM and Tim!
Old 07/11/2005, 04:33 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Re: PLAYTIME!

Quote:
Originally posted by Scalare102079
WANNA PLAY TIM???

Okay, it is a crappy pic, but give me a break, it was a camera phone.....blah.
He looks like a bully.

Not that Tim couldn't take him (with time, a clever strategy and a good deal of luck)...

Is that a new playmate or just a new pic, Scalare?

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.
Old 07/11/2005, 04:37 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Tim's been fed well all week on his least favorite food - shrimp pellets. This was all part of a plan to have his belly full when I introduced a couple new astreas (big ones) to keep him occupied this week.

2 minutes after adding the snails the first one was split in twain.

7 minutes after that, having already hidden part of the first snail away, the second snail was taken away behind the rockwork. I have to assume Tim had his way with that snail as well...

3 days from now he'll be complaining that he's hungry and the tank smells.

/shrug

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.
Old 07/13/2005, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

just a new crappy pic... he was out looking for another fiddler crab.... one of his favorite snacks.
Old 07/14/2005, 09:39 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Got any cheap-food ideas? The snails are getting costly (especially when he hunts ALL of them down in under ten minutes)...

Gotta run... think he heard me type the letters c-h-e-a-p before the letters f-o-o-d. Gah!

Old 07/14/2005, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

What about ghost shrimp???? My LFS sells them cheap and at least Tim would have something to chase (for 30 seconds or so anyway - it sounds like he's getting to be quite a pig! :-)
Old 07/14/2005, 10:55 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

He hasn't had ghost shrimp in a while. Good thinking.

I don't feed freshwater items very often (in fact the only FW food he's every had before were ghost shrimp as well), but it's definitely time for a cheap treat...

Old 07/26/2005, 04:11 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

So I'm doing some regular maintenance on the main reef and this guy manages to be spotted clinging to the underside of the big-ric.

Dr. Ron gives me the skinny on the young xanthid as not being noteworthy or immediately recognizable and perhaps even destructive to Ye Olde Display Reef. Sooooo, off to room with Tim...

"Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

He seemed excited by the prospect really. Given his size and color I thought he might actually be able to hide out for a time...

A blur of activity too fast and gruesome to display happens here followed by...

The search for companions continues...

Old 07/26/2005, 04:22 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

At this rate Tim will never have a roommate. The latest crab was probably the coolest roommate yet and he didn't pass the test either.

B.
Old 07/27/2005, 12:34 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

He was a cool little crab. Tim did tell me later he was tasty, so it all works out.

Once I finish the fish/crab trap for use in the display I hope to add a long-armed "mithrax-type" crab to Tim's long list of roommates. I've seen this crab pick off several zoanthids at a time before I shoo him off (by trying to grab him and the rock he's on for export). Only see the destructive punk near lights out and he has eluded manual capture for some time now.

That will be a dinner I will watch with absolute glee.

Meanwhile, Tim's having a hard time remembering what happened the last time a heater exploded in his tank...

I helped him out by moving it back onto the wall.

Old 07/27/2005, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

What an absolutely great couple of threads!! Your story telling and life and times of Tim is just wonderful, entertaining, and full of so much admiration you have for him/her?. I'm just smiling away at all I've read and your humor. I can picture you in a library doing story telling with these slides entertaining the kids.

I'm going to PM you some links to terrestrial mantids and other 'micro critter' pics/videos I have in case you are interested, since you are a true micro critter activist!! You go!
Old 07/27/2005, 01:29 PM
Moved On

I have a better idea. Take some monowire and make a leash for Tim. Then let him loose like a bloodhound in the main tank. Im sure he will sniff-out that emerald in no time and take care of him for you...and a few other snacks along the way... It would be like 'taking the dog for a walk outside' only>>>" taking the mantis for a walk in the reef".
Old 07/28/2005, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

i'll tell you what DM, i am extremely happy that i went with a titanium heater for my mantis.... i often here "TING TING TING" in the evening hours.
Old 07/28/2005, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

and people think that they're sooo smart............ :-)
Old 08/24/2005, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

We need another tale DM.... please enlighten us...it has been sooo long!
Old 08/24/2005, 10:13 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Roommate Application:

Dear Mr. Tim,

I have recently been evicted from my comfortable home in my 75 gallon tank and banished to rather undesirable conditions in my new sump home. I am looking for new accomodations and saw your ad in the newspaper asking for small but crunchy roommates. As you can see I have small claws and a crunchy outer shell. Not sure why you need me to be crunchy, but I'm desperate for new accomodations,

Please contact me about your opening at your earliest convenience,

Mr. Crabby

Old 08/24/2005, 01:22 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Dearest Mr. Crunchieeer... uh... Crabby,

The room has indeed opened up once more. Just last week a trio of small but tasty... er... friendly snails disappeared after coming over for dinner. Regrettable really, they were quite tidy. *burp*

It would be my pleasure to have you for dinner... uh... over for dinner to discuss rent, space and any other considerations rentors and renters should be discussing before dining... signing contracts and such.

Looking forward to eating... meeting you soon,

Tim

Old 08/24/2005, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Wow, He looks delicious.. UH I mean snack-tacular--I mean... he should work out as a Fine Roommate!
Old 08/24/2005, 01:36 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by rwhhunt
Wow, He looks delicious.. UH I mean snack-tacular--I mean... he should work out as a Fine Roommate!
He is small now and would make a great roommate, but another reefer has had one of these for 6 months and it is now the size of his fist and recently destroyed a large gorilla crab. It would be interesting to see if Tim could handle him in 6 months.

B.
Old 08/24/2005, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

My money is on Tim. Think this could be a pay-per-view event? "Tonight only - an all-new king of the cage match!"
Old 08/24/2005, 03:16 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by Wryknow
My money is on Tim. Think this could be a pay-per-view event? "Tonight only - an all-new king of the cage match!"
If Density Man gets enough viewers then he could be the first aquarist in history to MAKE money from his tank

B.
Old 08/24/2005, 03:48 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Quote:
Originally posted by garagebrian
If Density Man gets enough viewers then he could be the first aquarist in history to MAKE money from his tank

B.
LOL... Unheard of!

Old 08/24/2005, 05:57 PM
Moved On

Ill buy media rights to broadcast!