Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Worm Problem?

I started my 75gal reef about 10 months ago using livestock and liverock from a friend. A piece of liverock came with two hitch hikers that I was told by input here were helpful worms.

The worms hook into holes in the rockand have brown long tentacles and whitish mouths. The two originals were small with tentacles of maybe .5 inches. They have since grown to maybe 1.5 inches each which doesn't bother me but their 20 or so babies growing everywhere do. They are all about the size these guys were when I brought in the tank. The original rock is covered with them and they have sprouted up on other rock and one now out of the gravel.

Two questions? How bad can this get and 2 what type of removal natural and unnatural process can be done to remove them or at least stop the multiplication.

If I can find the camera I'll send pictures.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

doesn't sound like bristle worms, does it
Old 01/02/2008, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

are you able to take a picture of these worms?
Old 01/02/2008, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Yes the camera is around here somewhere still looking for it.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/02/2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

those are not worms those are aiptaisa not good ,,just a pest ,,peperment shrimp will eat them
Old 01/02/2008, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Looks like your rock is covered with Aptasia. They are not worms but some type of small anemone.
Your rock looks like good rock other than that.
We had problems with this as well and the first time I treated with Joe's juice and when that ran out and the problem started to esculate again I used kalkwassa mixed with water and shot them with that. You use a siringe and shoot them right into the mouth. They will shrink right back into their holes and hopefully die. It's fun! )
Old 01/02/2008, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Peppermint shrimp are a hit or miss thing though, unfortunately.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:49 PM
reef girl

i have had very good luck with pepermint shrimp.

and yes aptaisia, you need to get rid of it right away, they multiply very fast and start stinging fish, corals and everything and can get pretty big.

Also a copperband butterfly would eat them, however not always the safest reef fish. They may eat invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters. They are also very shy and can somtimes be very very hard to get to eat.

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 01/02/2008, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

lol

lol...that was pretty funny.

someone call TBS.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

How many shrimp do you have? Did you have a big problem?
I would much rather have the shrimp than the other stuff, although it is fun to shoot them, like I said.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

I'll go get a peppermint shrimp and start from there.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Right now I have no shrimp in my tank. I'll start with one and go from there. I am going to head to the LFS before they close.
Registered Member

Good idea
Registered Member

Thanks for the lead I did a google search on aiptasia and these guys are nasty.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:00 PM
reef girl

actually pepermint shrimp are happier when in small groups, I would start with at least 3

Old 01/02/2008, 06:03 PM
reef girl

Also be sure to acclimate them longer than a fish, inverts have a harder time going into a new tank somtimes

Old 01/02/2008, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

only way ive found is kalkwasser{calcium water} aka ms. wages pickling lime.{like 5 bucks for a lifetime of aiptasia control-fid it in the grocery store with canning supplies,the Ball brand canning jars and such.

dont waste your money on shrimp,joes juice, stop aiptasia.

seriously get the lime-add little water to some powder to form a wet paste use a dropper and hand feed these little guys they love it ,
at first that is , 5 secs later there burning

wait how big is that rock--sun dry that bad boy put it back in a
month, if they ARE THAT NUMEROUS on that lil rock they have already spread over your tank.

i would remove that one rock. and really check your tank for drifters and nip this problem in the bud
Old 01/03/2008, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

I bought 3 peppermint shrimp one was DOA in the bag. I was surprised because this was a very good reef specialty LFS. I'll get a third this afternoon.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

heres the thing

so heres the thing. ime species you buy to control a problem they may handle in the wild, do not usually work so well in the home aquarium.

there are a few exceptions such as nudibranchs and other species that only eat one thing and when thats gone so are they..ie sexy shrimp and starfish{maybe that was harliquin shrimp?}

anyway the lfs which maybe a very good one wants to keep their animals alive,{good buisiness} so they start feeding mysis, flake food, brine shrimp squid, whatever

you get the picture - unless yours is a fishless reef once they start eating { your perferred food here} you'll have to starve them and your fish to get them to eat the pests.

you could try not feeding your tank for a while at first {all fish fat?} but more then likely they've already lost their taste for anenome.

so enjoy they new shrimp but dont count on them for a solution...time is of the essence good sir.

you can also remove the rock ,use a sharp small flat head screwdriver and gouge the rock clean..you wont get them all but it would be a start...your coraline will recover quickly

---be quick in the sink--rinse before putting it back{good idea to do this along with your next water change. keep your dirty bucket next to the sink and gouge then rinse in bucket -ime coralline doesnt like
HOT or Cold tapwater and keep it wet

PS dont stab yourself

whats got two thumbs and nothing better to do?

THIS GUY...
Old 01/03/2008, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

I also heard super hot water injected into them works too.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

boiling water

i tried injecting boiling water {in the syringe} into them and they usually cam back....
try the pickeling lime ....after they've "eaten it" they will retreat into their hole or body.
with the rock is orientated with the anenomes up is your best way to remove them in tank; then you can" feed" and when they retreat apply more ontop of them.....

do this in no current{powerheads ,pumps} conditions...some coral can be sensitive to a large amount of paste landing on them