Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/15/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

kalk in topwater

I wondering if i can drop some kalk powder in my top off water i usally go through 4-5g of r/o a day. I'am thinking i candrop some in give a good stir and repeat next day or am i better off building some sort of drip?

thanxs
O/M 4way with barracuda
mas cal reactor
tang,powder tang, clown, purple clown white goby, orangewrassel
Old 01/15/2007, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

It is my knowledge that kalk needs a good 12 hours to become effective. I would set up a drip, but would pretty much need to drip 24-7. When I replaced 1 gallon a day in prior tank, I would drip one drop every 3 seconds on a 24-7 cycle to keep tank at the proper levels. So I would imagine you will have to increase considerably to keep up.... I am no pro, but do drip kalk currently, not for all my make up water though, still have to add 1/2 gallon of ro/di per day. Good Luck..
Old 01/15/2007, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

From what I understand Kalk needs to be dripped to avoid a spike in PH levels. Your best bet is to build a drip system using a 5 gal container and set the drip rate to replace evaporation and that will serve as your daily top-off.
Old 01/15/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

If you check a certain website known for selling "it", you can do a search for feeding pumps, iv pumps, or dosing pumps. I got a feeding pump for $60 shipped and I have a 13gal garbage can, that I mix everything in. I don't have to worry about making more RO/DI water for 4-5 days, sometimes 6. This is by far the easiest and safest way to maintain your water level. You can set how many milliliters an hour you'd like to dose and it usually takes a day or two to dial it in.

Sorry kids, daddy spent your college fund. But hey, at least the tank looks cool!
Old 01/16/2007, 12:05 AM
"Old Yeller"

All of my top off water is kalk... You can run around 2% total tank volume of saturated kalkwasser with out much worry. (saturated is 2 tsp per gallon).
I dose mine only at night when the main lights are off and the ph is dropping. The Kalk keeps the PH above 8.3 over night and I have never had a problem in almost 3 years with my budget system.

I use a Toms "Aqua lifter" pump connected to a Intermatic DT17 digital timer. (cost of both is around $30 total).

The timer comes on for a couple minutes per hour for 12 hours (lights out time) and that will add right around 2.25 gallons of kalk. I have always kept the resevoir limitied to 3 gallons in case it every "stuck" on. It would cause a PH spike but not kill the tank. It has never happened however...
Old 01/16/2007, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

I have a similar setup on a 12g aquapod. I use a dosing pump for 1 minute every 12 hours to add .5 cup of limewater. Its controlled by a aquacontroller jr. Works great and looks good since i don't have a sump underneath
Old 01/16/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

you would be better off dripping but you can do as you mentioned, just don't add too much at once. I drip 4 gallons a day but if you add 4 gallons at once of saturated limewater everything will die due to the ph spike. If you want to add a teaspoon to your 4 gallons of top off water shake it up and add it that will be fine. Or you can do the "slurry" method just add a teaspoon to a couple cups of water, stir it up into a slurry then add it to your sump.

If I do a slurry that raises my ph by about .10 in a 200 gallon system
Old 01/16/2007, 08:52 AM
"Old Yeller"

I would not dump the slurry in the sump all in one shot like that, the 2 teaspoons is equivalent to 1 Gallon of saturated kalk.

Sort of a wide departure from "better off dripping" and will certainly cause a ph shock at least locally to the sump and it will also cloud the water.
Old 01/16/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

the slurry is not the best way to do it but it is one of the ways listed in Randy's article on methods of dosing limewater. It does not cloud my water
Old 01/16/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

I mix up one teaspoon to 1/2 or 1 gallon of water. (Whatever amount I need) Then I dump it straight into my 55gal. Never had any problems.
Old 01/16/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

thanks for all the ideas guys I'am thinking i'll build a 2 gallon drip to start. once i add the kalk can i just give it a 10 sec blast with a power head and then it's good untill the drum is empty? So i would need to clean it out and mix up some more and start again right?
O/M 4way with barracuda
mas cal reactor
Old 01/16/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

by the way I'am not trying to use the kalk mix to replace my top off unit i would still use this as well so I don't have to try and match the evp rate or if i wasn't around to restock the kalk water the tank param won't swing
O/M 4way with barracuda
mas cal reactor
Old 01/16/2007, 08:15 PM
Movin On Up

I drip 24/7 and all my top off is dripped this way. Talk to an EMS person and see if they'll give you one of their drip hoses for IV bottles. I lose about 5 gal per week evap, and a drip every 7 seconds keeps me good for a week.

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 01/16/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Just in case you haven't already seen it, this is a great reference: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...hf/index.php#5