Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Philadelphia Area Reef Club (PARC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

To skim or not to skim

So.... out of the blue it has been suggested to me 2x in the last few months by 2 serious reefkeepers (Matt from ECA, and Rich A from armco aquatics) that I should consider not running a protien skimmer. Matt suggested 2-3 days per month. (By the way, I went to ECA for the first time today. Great place and very nice guy)

My 180 (The sps tank) is doing great, so I am inclined not to fix it if it isn't broke, but I was just curious as to anyone else's thoughts/experience.

Thanks,

Mitch
Old 10/23/2007, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

Mitch,

I would agree that you shouldnt fix what isnt broken. Skimmerless tanks still need some sort of nutrient export. Often in the form of large refugiums, such as those at ECA.
Old 10/23/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Keep the skimmer running, if things are great then they can only go to something worse. If you feel skimming is taking too much outta the tank which i highly doubt, then run the skimmer less wet so that you get less skimmate but its really dark like coffee and less like green tea. Keeping the skimmer running will keep your oxygen in the water going and your massive oxygen depleting sohal tang happy

Best of luck
WHERES THE UPDATED PIX?!
P.S. I miss my blenny
Old 10/24/2007, 02:48 AM
Registered Member

i did it for around a year without any consequences in my 100g/dsb. i suggest you read dynamic aquaria by dr. walter addy and karen loveland http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Aquari.../dp/0120437929

a. calfo had told me it could crash and to use a dropping ph as a warning. didn't want to be bothered and added a in tank counter-current red sea™ berlin air-lift 90 (aqua-medic mdiflotor is similar), / wisa 300 laboratory grade air pump (don't think they're available any more). light skimming was being discussed at the time, the small limewood air stone equipped skimmer seemed about right. works fine (much less fuss than my large external skimmer), however i'll remove it when i get around to building a h.o.b. hybird sump/turf scrubber.
Old 10/24/2007, 05:27 AM
Reef Pimp

When you see what comes out of the skimmer on a regular basis...that should be evidence enough that you SHOULD skim...especially running an sps predominant tank...that's my take!
Old 10/24/2007, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Thanks all. This is exactly the feedback I was looking for. Even though I do have a 75G refugium (Bryan), I really am hesitant to make such a big change.

Marc: Thanks for the suggestion. I will read it.

Steve: You know I have to listen to you! I will get some new pics soon. Waiting for a Macro Lens to make them really cool.

Stx: Agreed.

Again, Thanks very much for your thoughts. So glad I foiund RC.

Mitch
Old 10/24/2007, 10:14 AM
Delaware Valley Reef Club

I see no reason to stop skimming. As was mention, skimming can take a backseat ONLY if you have a large mature refugium for nutrient export. If you dont, I wouldnt even consider it.

Personally, I run a huge fuge and a huge skimmer (for my SW volume) and I get little skimmate (ASMg3), maybe 1 full cup every three weeks. I also use a huge cleaning crew both in the fuge and display tank. I need to trim my chaeto multiple times per month, and I have absolutely ZERO algae in my display.

I wouldnt remove it...

Prop&Save!
...Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure...
Old 10/24/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Matt.
Old 10/25/2007, 10:31 AM
Take your time...........

I will keep my opinion of Matt at ECA to myself. I think they have started to push the Ecosystem sumps there. Probably because they make the most money on them. Ecosystems thought is not to skim if you go to there site you will see what they say. I have one of those Ecosystem sumps on my 180 and I also have a HUGE 4' tall skimmer. It sucks out the nastiest black smelling crap you have ever seen.........So bad it "could chock a donkey". Anyway I would not take what fish stores tell you as gospel most of them NOT ALL but most are out to make money and could care less what they tell you.

I ran into a person that used to work at ECA till they screwed him out of a job. Since I heard that story I have another real bitter taste in my mouth about ECA.
Old 10/25/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Ha Rich's brother adam is the one is all for it. You Need to have a well established refug. with miracle mud etc. for this to work properly
Old 10/25/2007, 06:24 PM

Not following what you are talking about fivewhyn
Old 10/25/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Re: To skim or not to skim

Quote:
Originally posted by mkbtank
[B]So.... out of the blue it has been suggested to me 2x in the last few months by 2 serious reefkeepers (Matt from ECA, and Rich A from armco aquatics) that I should consider not running a protien skimmer.
B]
Rich from armco... his brother adam..
Old 10/25/2007, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

I think fivewhyn is referring to this:

EcoSystems Aquariums

I've thought about trying this myself, but it seems like a big investment dollar wise.
Old 10/25/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

that would be it
Old 10/25/2007, 08:19 PM

Save your money there is nothing special about an Ecosystem sump. You can use anything you want with a refugium section and just put the miracle mudd in it if you want. My 180 has the Ecosystem sump on it. Not worth the $800 in my opinion.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Yes.. Actually, Rish and Adam (From Armco) did the setup/pvc plumbing when I set up my 180. They did an excellent job, and I actually do have miracle mud (Though not all) in my 75G, pod filled fuge.

I'm still not getting rid of the skimmer though. No way. Too scary.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:46 PM
Yikes!

Off Topic but mkb what is this? Red echino? How's it doing?

Old 10/25/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Agreed.

I had a system a few years ago, about 85 gallons total volume where 10 gallons of what was fuge alone. I ran NO skimmer. In fact, I had a Deltec MCE600 in there for a little while. Eventually I decided to remove the skimmer altogether and found that my fuge growth increased dramatically as did the growth of my LPS and zoas.

Now, I have never kept SPS so I cannot speak to the needs of those types of corals, but IMO based on what I have done I think a large capable refugium can take the place of a protein skimmer in the RIGHT SYSTEM.

And I do agree with what was said above about the right system being a mature, moderately stocked (with fish) and properly chosen corals.

To the O/P...in your case, I wouldnt stop skimming.

And if youre going to take advice from someone at ECA, make sure it comes from Bills mouth directly.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Off Topic but mkb what is this? Red echino? How's it doing?
Looks like a blasto wellsi.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

2nd blasto
Old 10/26/2007, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

Correct on the Blasto. Glad you checked out my pictures ribs