Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)

Old 12/31/2007, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

Frag Tank Opinions Wanted!

I am going to set up a small frag tank and need some opinions on what I should get. The frag tank will be mostly zoas, and rics, but i MIGHT want some rare sps in the future...

its gotta be small, relatively cheap and easy to take care of.

I was considering going with a glasscages 1/2 15g tank which measures 24"x12.5"x6.5" which sounds like it could make a good frag tank. Another option would be to use just a spair 10g AGA I have lying around. but i do also like the dimensions of an AGA 20 long tank.

Lighting is my biggest debate right now. I was thinking about going with a 24" 4 bulb T5 fixture.. but i also already have in my possesion a 16" 175w MH fixture I dont like that much, and it would need to be suspended.

Filtration will rely on a HOB filter full of LR rubble and a HOB fuge, and weekly water changes. If you can think of a different way of this let me know, im not looking to get really tech. tho.

All of you out there with fragtanks, let me know, and if anyone has stuff they could sell let me know!
Old 12/31/2007, 09:28 AM
SMBS

Try and do whatever you can to tie it to your main system. It makes the whole process a lot simpler, no worrying about aclimation when moving pieces back and forth between tanks. Also, you don't have to spend money on a whole new system: skimmer, heater, sump, etc. Try and keep your lighting simuliar to you main tank as well. If you don't have a common sump to tie it to you could make the frag tank itself a sump.

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 12/31/2007, 09:33 AM
I'm not scared, Are you??

Glasscages.com sells frag tanks. You would not believe how cheap (cost wise) they are. They have them starting at I think $40 on up. They are perfect frag tanks. And like Nick stated, if you tie them into your system it's all the easyer to handle.

What we have hear....Is failure to communicate.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:53 AM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

I agree with adding to your system now. So both tanks match.

The only thing I don't like about the 6" tall tanks is it does not give them corals much growing room, if you have large plugs. But other than that a 175 watt MH would give them a lot of light even if you got a 12" tank.. I was looking at one, but wanted to go 8" tall, for that purposes.

------------------------------------------------
Friends don't let friends buy PC lighting.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:54 AM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

Oh yeah and the Rimless glasscages would be the way I would go. I love there tanks. I have had 2 of them now, and my next one will come from them as well.

------------------------------------------------
Friends don't let friends buy PC lighting.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:13 AM
SMBS

Quote:
Originally posted by Im Lon 2
I agree with adding to your system now. So both tanks match.

The only thing I don't like about the 6" tall tanks is it does not give them corals much growing room, if you have large plugs. But other than that a 175 watt MH would give them a lot of light even if you got a 12" tank.. I was looking at one, but wanted to go 8" tall, for that purposes.
I agree with the height issue. My frag tank is 6" and I would like it to be a little taller. Figure the water line will be 1" or so lower and the plug rack 1.5" high you really only have 3.5" inches to work with. this is fine if your just growing zoas and shrooms but limits the height you can get on SPS. It also makes powerhead placement trickier.

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 12/31/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Yea I was also concerned with the height issue... and I cant tie it into my main system anymore, I downgraded to just a NC24
Old 12/31/2007, 03:18 PM
SMBS

Quote:
Originally posted by Jarob
Yea I was also concerned with the height issue... and I cant tie it into my main system anymore, I downgraded to just a NC24
Sure you can. Place the frag tank above the main tank. Use a small power head in the main tank to pump the water up to the frag tank and gravity feed back down.

Old 12/31/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Hmm, I do like the idea of them being tied together. Im thinking maybe create a refugium for the main tank and the frag tank can be tied into that...? I would rather not have the frag tank above the NC or I would have to use a step ladder to even look in it.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:34 PM
I'm not scared, Are you??

Yes I agree that 6" tall is rather too short, IMO the best height for me would be 10" even and rimmless. I'd love to do a frag tank like that and I could easly add it into my system but I'm just to busy right now with work.

What we have hear....Is failure to communicate.