Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 07/11/2007, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Tips for moving a large tank

I have made arraingments to purchase what is almost my dream tank from a guy who needed to tear his down in order to move.

As with everything there is an easy way to do something, a hard way to do something and a million ways in between. I was trying to think of an easy way to move it, aside from brute strength and sweat. Maybey builiding a litter to help carry it?

How did you move your tank, what would you have done differently, and what did you do right?

Oh yea, the tank is 225 gallons 72 l x 30 w x 24 h , with external overflows (another 6 inches wide) and starphire on three sides.

Thanks in advance,

matt
Old 07/11/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Well right off the bat i can tell you its gonna be a squeeze becasue if your tank is 36" wide it more than likely won't go through you r standard door frame. I could be wrong but if i were you i would check measurements everywhere that you need to move the tank to be sure it will fit through doorways and hallways and ceilings.

As for moving the tank i can tell you it will be heavy. Around 350lbs give or take. It can be done with two people and gloves but the more people the better. I have heard of people using industrial suctin cups and suction them to the glass of the tank and carrying the tank like that but i've never used them.

I would suggest a crew of people to help you (around 4). Don't forget to measure everything before you bring the tank home.

Good Luck

Just because they say you can't do it doesn't mean you can't prove them wrong.
Old 07/11/2007, 04:20 PM
Team RC Member

You can remove moldings on doors to get things through. This gives you a couple of inches.

Plan to get the stand into the room FIRST, and put skids under it so you can reposition easily.

When moving, the stand may be the only safe place to set the tank during transit because of bottom bulkheads and other fragile connections.

Form a plan of action, and choose intelligent friends to help you. Do not have a beer before you start.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/11/2007, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

They guy I bought it from told me that you need to tip the tank on its side, so that the external overflow is facing up in order to move the tank. It won't fit out of his house otherwise. That means I will need at least 24 inches of space to move the tank through, as that is the height of the tank.

I am looking into getting some suction cups used for handling glass, to make it easier to get a grip on the tank when moving it.

Since the tank is to be moved in the back of a Suburban, I was thinking I would cut a few peices of PVC to lay on the floor of the back of the Surbaban to act as rollers. This way I could place one end of the tank onto the pvc "rollers" and roll the tank into and then out of the Suburban. This is similar to the method they think was used to move the stone blocks used to build the pyramids.

I was also thinking that I cold use moving dollys to move the tank along the straight aways.

I will not have the stand yet, when I pick up the tank. It will go into storage for a couple of weeks until renovations are done on my basement and then it will go onto a stand built into the framing of the wall.
Old 07/11/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

I would not, no way, no how, never never lay all that tank on a piece of pvc and expect to roll it. All the weight of the tank on one little spot not a good thing. Maybe a heavy blanket to lay it on and help drag it into the suburban. Do you have better then six feet clear (and flat) in a suburban? Guess I am spoiled with my 14 foot work trailor!
Old 07/11/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't use the roller idea ...I remember there was someone on RC that did that and as it rolled it picked up small stones/gravel and ended up scratching his entire tank as it rolled along.
I do agree on moving it in on its side...make sure you have a few of those suction cups and find fellow reefers in your area that can help muscle it in....I am available on sundays if you need help.
Old 07/11/2007, 06:23 PM
Wire Doc

I hope you have close friends, if not, hire a moving company.
Old 07/11/2007, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

The plan wasn't to roll it on a single peice of pvc, but a whole lot of them. Perhaps not the best idea, and maybe a blanket will have to do.

I am currently securing my moving crew. Boozeman, I appreciate the offer, and if I can't get enough people I wll let you know. I am planning on moving it next weekend (21st or 22nd)

Getting the suburban is turning out to be a llittle tougher due to scheduling conflicts. I may have to rent myself a U-haul.

So far the only tip i have gotten, is have strong freinds. There must be some other tricks and tips out there.
Old 07/11/2007, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

and the blanket idea.... sorry asm481
Old 07/11/2007, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Buy an appliance dolly!

I just went through a similar experience with a 180 gallon tank. The seller moved into a house and the previous owner had a built-in tank that the new owner wanted to remove and replace with a bar.

Go to Home Depot and buy an appliance dolly. You could probably rent one, but they are only $100 and you'll likely use it again. It's the same dolly that movers deliver refrigerators and other large appliances with.

We foolishly tried to move the tank without one the first time and I'm glad we gave up and came back a second time with the right hardware for the job. You might barely have enough room to get the tank through some tight spots, much less 4 or more people on the sides trying to carry it. The dolly has straps to keep the tank in place and the wheels are designed for moving heavy items around and up steps.

You’ll still need several people to load it into your vehicle, but getting it there is MUCH easier with a dolly.

--Ed
Old 07/11/2007, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

Like this one?
Old 07/12/2007, 04:34 AM
Premium Member

Exactly.

For that size tank it should work great. I ended up bringing a couple of extra straps to make sure it was secure. (can't be too careful with your new baby!)

Good luck.

--Ed
Old 07/12/2007, 05:20 AM
Registered Member

suggest rent a uhaul. For $20-25 you can get an enclosed trailer and not have to worry about a flat surface to rest it on. A blanket or large cardboard piece will help slide it out of the trailer when you get home. Hopefully you won't have much of a vertical climb/drop when you bring it home, getting my glass 180 down into the basement with 4 people was almost at the limit of our strength. I would recommend at least 6 or better yet 8 total to move it comfortably if you have any floors to climb or go down.

Good luck.
Old 07/12/2007, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

I am lucky that my basement is at grade level, so there are not stairs. I have two entrances to bring it it through, each with their own problems.

With the appliance dolly, once it's strapped onto it can it be moved by one person. (Not that I would only have one person, but I just want an idea of how well the dolly works)
Old 07/12/2007, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

Yes it can be rolled by one person when on the dolly. (assuming they can handle the weight) I never tilted it down more than 45 degrees, so most of the weight was still on the dolly wheels.

As you mentioned, you'll still need a team of people to lift it and manage it.

--Ed
Old 07/12/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

The dolly is a good thing...you will still need people to help balance it as you wheel it in. also remember to make simple ramps over any thick door thresholds to make the job of rolling it in easier.... to get it on the stand you can rent a portable fork lift.
Old 07/17/2007, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

I have gotten some more imput on how to move large tanks. When talking to people I know who have moved them, there seems to be some resistance to the appliance dolly idea, due to weight distribution. The guesstimate is that my tank has to weigh close to five hundred pounds.

Other idea's that I have gotten, is to double up 2x4's with lap joints and then cover them with carpet to make runners to slide the tank down stairs (In the entire move, I only need to go down stairs, not up them.) and to use furniture dollys to move the tank along the straight aways.

Any other thoughts, ideas, creations, magic potions?
Old 07/17/2007, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Have you consulted someone on moving it... I recently had my 120 moved because I could not get back in time to move it myself and it was well worth the cost... paid $260 for the entire move and it went off without a hitch.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 07/17/2007, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Not a bad idea, I will need to look around quick though as it needs to be moved within the next week.