Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

lOOKING INTO A RS-180 FOR MY 120 + 50 GAL SUMP.

QUESTION:

1. WHAT IS THE IDEAL SUMP LEVEL? MINE IS 10 1/4' AND CONSTANT.

2. DOES IT HAVE A SKIMMATE DRAIN OUTPUT?

3. can I order one with an upgrade to a enheim pump?

4. Due to sump constraints could I run a well stocked 120 with a rs-135?

sorry for the caps!

THKS!

Last edited by nattydread; 11/09/2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11/09/2007, 12:28 AM
Blue

For the RS180 they list 6 - 8" of water. You will probably need to build a stand. I have mine in 8" of water and it's doing fine.

It doesn't have a skimmate drain.

You can order the upgrade to an eheim.
Old 11/12/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

CS 12-2

Hello,

I have a CS 12-2 with 2 sedra pumps. Will the mesh wheels be availabe for these pumps and are they worth it? The skimmer works great but it's older and I'm wondering if I could get better perfomance with some sort of upgrades.

thanks

Joe
Old 11/12/2007, 11:54 PM
Blue

Quote:
Originally posted by euroreef
The "Rotor" is an assembly which includes: the magnet with the bearing(s) inserted, protective casing, and the head, The impeller mounted to the rotor head along with the shaft and mounting bushings make the impeller "Assembly".

What we have done is re-design the rotor.

Hope that helps
I asked this a couple of days ago and haven't heard back. Are these new rotors that make the pump quieter going to be offered for free from people who own these pumps?
Old 11/13/2007, 02:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NewSchool04
I posted this on my thread that I started about the new skimmer but thought that I might get some response here also:

I'm having a problem with the water rushing out of the drain. What is everyone doing to stop the water fall effect. This is especially bad if I start to adjust the pipe more towards closed. This makes the water rush out of the drain.

I now have the 90 elbow at a 45 degree angle but this doesn't seem to help. The directions state that the drain shouldn't be under the water line and if I turn the 90 elbow straigt down, it will be under the water line? Really, the only choice seems to be no elbow and have the water rushing right out of the drain or put the elbow on the drain and point it at an angle. Either way is loud.

What is everyone doing to calm down the waterfall? My two old ER's had the water draining from the top of the adjustment pipe and it would just gently flow down the pipe into the sump, hardly a sound at all.
I tried a couple of things:

1) submerge the drain half-way into the water
2) tie a filter bag to the drain

I stuck with option #2

My Gen-x pump is also very loud, and am also waiting for the redesigned part. In the meantime, I ordered the Eheim. While it is very quiet, performance doesn't match the Gen-X.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:36 PM
RC Sponsor

We will open a new thread in our forum to answers questions related to the new rotors when they are ready. It shouldn't be too much longer.

-Jeff
Old 11/14/2007, 01:41 PM
RC Sponsor

Hahn,

Regarding your EHEIM, please contact the tech support dept and ask for Robbert, our engineer. Chip will likely answer the phone or get the message, but I will let Robbert know to call you. Be sure to leave a ph# and a good time to call.

-Jeff
Old 11/15/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

RS135 Water level not consistent

I just picked up one of the RS135 Blems they had on the site… I have been fooling with it for a couple weeks now and the water level is very erratic… every time I think I have it adjusted I will find it has overflowed into the collection cup. Seems just the smallest amount of dust will clog the venture valve and the water level will rise in the skimmer. My tank is several years old and the water level in the sump is constant controlled by a float switch. Any help would be great?

Thanks

Steve
Old 11/15/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Where do they have "blems" on the site. I am looking for an RS135 as well....

Thanks,
Brent
Old 11/16/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Ok...Never mind the blems...

TADA>>>>My new RS-135

It is amazing the difference that this skimmer made in the cabinet.

Before with the MTC Recirc Skimmer.....

After with the ER....

Yummy....
Old 11/16/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

The only question that I have is with the drain pipe.

Has anyone cut theirs to be just above the waters surface? If I leave it on and try to adjust the gargling is too loud and the level seems to be inconsistent. I would hate to cut the pipe if it is not designed to be....

Thanks for the input...

-Brent
Old 11/16/2007, 09:37 PM
Blue

your water level in the sump looks a bit low. How many inches of water do you have the skimmer sitting in?
Old 11/16/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

There are 6" of water in the sump. it comes to just below the top of the 90 degree elbow for the pump.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:50 PM
Blue

Then take the drain pipe off and have the water just coming out of the 90 degree elbow. What difference does that make?
Old 11/17/2007, 12:13 AM
TRC Leader

If you want to stop the gurgling sound, make a cap for it. I did this:

I put a piece of rubber inside so it wouldn't make a sound due to it vibrating on the pipe.

Old 11/17/2007, 12:32 AM
Blue

melev, with a cap like that could I put the extension pipe back on the 90 and have it under water without making the gurgling sound?

I can't have the pipe because it's underwater and the 90 with the water pouring out is a little noisy.
Old 11/17/2007, 12:42 AM
TRC Leader

Yes, the end can be underwater. The cap is up higher on my skimmer. Here's an older picture.

Old 11/17/2007, 12:53 AM
Blue

I wonder if that cap will work on the newer style twist valve system they have? I have the new type, not the traditional gate valve you have.
Old 11/17/2007, 01:17 AM
TRC Leader

All it is is a silencer. I don't see why it would be a problem.
Old 11/17/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Yes, the end can be underwater. The cap is up higher on my skimmer. Here's an older picture.

I thought it was hard to adjust water level with the output submerged?
Old 11/17/2007, 04:52 PM
TRC Leader

No, it doesn't affect what I set it to because the water flowing through the gate valve is above water.
Old 11/17/2007, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

melev
Do you really have to have the air vent in the cap? Just wondering as I actually put a golf ball in the top of mine and it stopped the gurgling noise. I know its a weird item in a sump but my wife had some of her new Nike 1s sitting on the table and I decided to see if it fit and it did.
It didn't seem to make a difference in the performance at all but just the noise. I have the traditional gate valve assembly and I guess some air still gets by the nipples on the ball but could be mistaken
Old 11/17/2007, 05:23 PM
TRC Leader

Scroll up 7 posts to the pictures of the cap itself. Yes, it has an air vent drilled.

The golf ball system should work too, but occasionally you'll need to wash away saltcreep or it will glue solid and vaporlock your skimmer. My cap has done that a few times over the past year or so, so I try to clean it at least monthly.
Old 11/17/2007, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

Melev,
I knew it had the air hole but was just wondering if it "Had" to have an air hole.

I do pull it out and rinse it off every other time I /empty clean out the skimmer cup so I should be okay with the salt creep. I try to keep it cleaned up as well as I can as a general rule anyways.

Thanks
Old 11/17/2007, 05:40 PM
TRC Leader

Yes, it does. I tried it without one for a while, but it sealed up pretty quickly (within a week or so). I added the vent and even that hole clogs up with salt over time.