Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/08/2007, 11:43 AM
High Plains Drifter

The eheim pump won't boost performance. It is just quieter than the genx. I have used both. The gen-x I ran for 2 years and the eheim I have been running for 1 year now.

I don't think Hahn is testing the eheim on an ER skimmer FWIW. He is trying to build a eheim NW pump using ER parts.

Jim
Old 11/08/2007, 12:03 PM
Blue

Thanks Jim for the quick responce.

The GenX is loud. More like a loud hum but I've only run it for less than 24 hours so I'm going to let it go for awhile to see if it becomes more quiet. If I don't have the air valve on the silicone tubing, it's brutal. Sounds like someone slurping the last bits of a milk shake.

I had a question about the output. The directions state the output shoud be above the water line but they give you an extension tube that reaches the bottom of the skimmer. If this was used, the output would obviously be way under the water line so I don't get what that extra pipe is for. I have my output drain turned at about a 45 degree angle and the water still gushes out and splashes. I can't seem to figure out a way to quiet this down, any suggestions?
Old 11/08/2007, 12:32 PM
High Plains Drifter

You do not want the output submerged in any way. This will create back pressure on the skimmer.

The extra pvc is for optional plumbing set-ups.

Yes, the gen-x hums. Thats why people complain and buy the eheim. The air noise you hear from the hose is unavoidable. That is the sound that any high quality, high air drawing skimmer will make. The only way to get rid of it is to make a silencer.

In my opinion, the air valve should not be used unless you want to REDUCE air intake. By placing that valve on the airling, even if you don't close it, you are reducing the amount of air the skimmer is drawing in. Thats why it quiets down.
Old 11/08/2007, 12:47 PM
Blue

I can see it making some noise without the valve but this is ridiculous. It's like I have a troll under my stand slurping down milk shakes! I'm wondering if I have a blockage somewhere, possibly on the nipple that the silicone tubing connects too.

Looks like I have to make a silencer. Can you buy these stock anywhere?
Old 11/08/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by euroreef
Call us anytime at 1-877-HEY-EURO
I have called nobody ever picks up and I have left sevral messages but never get a call back ??
Old 11/08/2007, 01:09 PM
RC Sponsor

Antman,

Please call me directly at 949-770-9913 ext 17. If I do not answer, PLEASE leave me a message with your contact info.

I apologize about the TS dept. Our Tech guys has been out of the office due to a family emergency.

-Jeff
Old 11/08/2007, 01:11 PM
Generic Member

The SP4 on the RS180 seems to be the one that always gets the complaints of being noisy. The larger SP5 of the RS250 doesn't. I had an RS250 and it wasn't bad at all.

For the airline noise, a silencer will fix you up.

My RS250 ran best with the airvalve removed. One thing that you should also realize. When you reduce the air, you also increase the water throughput. You are adjusting the air/water ratio more than you may think.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:13 PM
High Plains Drifter

They are really cheap to make. Get a small piece of pvc, 2 end caps and some hose that will fit around the OUTSIDE of the silicone hose on your ER. Drill a couple of holes in the end caps, stick the hose in those holes, place the ER airline inside the larger hose, and you're golden. Probably costs $5 and takes 20 min.

Jim
Old 11/08/2007, 01:14 PM
RC Sponsor

We are hoping to have silencers available soon for all skimmers.

-Jeff
Old 11/08/2007, 01:16 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
We are hoping to have silencers available soon for all skimmers.

-Jeff

It would a good idea to make them standard on the larger high air draw models. If the silencer has floss in it, there is a side benefit of keeping the airline clear of salt deposits.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:16 PM
Blue

I have no doubt that adding that air valve even if it's wide open is reducing the air into the skimmer but I have no choice, it's too damn loud.

I suck at DIY so I'm looking to see if I can buy one of these silencers.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:18 PM
RC Sponsor

We are also negotiating with Dwyer to have airflow meters included with ALL of our current skimmers...
Old 11/08/2007, 01:20 PM
Generic Member

Sweet.

There was also talk of new PW impellers that would reduce noise. What is the status on that?
Old 11/08/2007, 01:31 PM
RC Sponsor

We will have the new rotors shortly. They are scheduled to arrive in Dec. These will substantially reduce noise generated by pump vibrations and subsequent resonance.

We are not making new impellers though we will be offering mesh-wheel impellers for all of our pumps as an option in the near future.

-Jeff
Old 11/08/2007, 01:35 PM
Generic Member

By Rotor, you mean the impeller magnet minus the PW?
Old 11/08/2007, 01:58 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

Quote:
Originally posted by jimdogg187
They are really cheap to make. Get a small piece of pvc, 2 end caps and some hose that will fit around the OUTSIDE of the silicone hose on your ER. Drill a couple of holes in the end caps, stick the hose in those holes, place the ER airline inside the larger hose, and you're golden. Probably costs $5 and takes 20 min.

Jim
i used a 35mm film canister
Old 11/08/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Antman,

Please call me directly at 949-770-9913 ext 17. If I do not answer, PLEASE leave me a message with your contact info.

I apologize about the TS dept. Our Tech guys has been out of the office due to a family emergency.

-Jeff
Jeff thanks for your help I will let ya know how I make out !
Old 11/08/2007, 02:03 PM
RC Sponsor

The "Rotor" is an assembly which includes: the magnet with the bearing(s) inserted, protective casing, and the head, The impeller mounted to the rotor head along with the shaft and mounting bushings make the impeller "Assembly".

What we have done is re-design the rotor.

Hope that helps
Old 11/08/2007, 02:05 PM
RC Sponsor

Antman,

Anytime!! We're here when you need us!

-Jeff
Old 11/08/2007, 03:08 PM
Blue

Quote:
The "Rotor" is an assembly which includes: the magnet with the bearing(s) inserted, protective casing, and the head, The impeller mounted to the rotor head along with the shaft and mounting bushings make the impeller "Assembly".

What we have done is re-design the rotor.

Hope that helps
Is this going to be free for people who purchased the ER's with the GenX pump and are you making it for the 4100?
Old 11/08/2007, 03:10 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Jeff, any info on how to get the eheim 1262 pump running right then? I am 280lph short on the air intake using the ER pinwheel and volute/venturi.
Old 11/08/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Hey is there any upgrades or improvements I may need on my Bone stock ES5-2 ?
Old 11/08/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Antman...Put on a gate valve mod, it does a great job of controlling skimmate thickness. Easiest, and cheapest mod with best results in my opinion
Old 11/08/2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 11/08/2007, 10:19 PM
Blue

I posted this on my thread that I started about the new skimmer but thought that I might get some response here also:

I'm having a problem with the water rushing out of the drain. What is everyone doing to stop the water fall effect. This is especially bad if I start to adjust the pipe more towards closed. This makes the water rush out of the drain.

I now have the 90 elbow at a 45 degree angle but this doesn't seem to help. The directions state that the drain shouldn't be under the water line and if I turn the 90 elbow straigt down, it will be under the water line? Really, the only choice seems to be no elbow and have the water rushing right out of the drain or put the elbow on the drain and point it at an angle. Either way is loud.

What is everyone doing to calm down the waterfall? My two old ER's had the water draining from the top of the adjustment pipe and it would just gently flow down the pipe into the sump, hardly a sound at all.