Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUA
did you have any pics of the moonlight in action
not really, none of themreally turned out. my camera is kindof junky, and I don't have a tripod (that I would need to take pics without the flash). I can say that it is probably the brightest moonlight you've ever seen, and it is a slightly whitish blue. it does look very natural which is what I was going for. I think a blue incandescent light would have made a better 'blue' moonlight, but I like mine the way it is. I'll try to get a pic eventually.
Old 12/10/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

About how much total in materials would you say it cost to build your stand?

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 12/10/2007, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

How much did the tank cost in glass?
Old 12/10/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JediReefer
About how much total in materials would you say it cost to build your stand?
If your just talking about the stand, about $350-500 for wood, screws, glue, paint, stain, ect. I also had to buy some tools (like a doweling jig and a rail and style) that I didn't factor in to this price. If I were to build this stand for someone ells there would be some seriouse labour charges as it was fairly work intensive. All these prices are in Canadian, so I assume it would be a bit cheaper for a yank.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Zedar
How much did the tank cost in glass? [/QUOTE]

$350 plus tax was my glass bill. Well worth it to have the glus cut proffesionally as everything fit perfectly. A reef ready 90 gallon tank at the LFS runs about the same. Again, price is in CAD
Old 12/19/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

I started moving some live stock from the old tank. My sumps are nowhere near finished (or started) yet, but I figured it would be fine to start setting up the main display. Like my rockwork so far?

all my rock has across, monties, zoo’s and other corals growing all over it, so aquascaping is going to be a challenge as I have to make sure everything is in an upright position and exposed to a good amount of light. I generally wanted my monties and zoos to be lower in the tank since they don’t need as much light, and my across I would try to put up high, but not too high so they are getting fried by the 400W halide. My plan for aquascaping is one large central pillar of rock, and I thought of a clever way of doing this (well I think it’s clever.. we will have to wait and see). I am going to use a central pvc pipe and attach the rock to it using zip ties. The pipe will be supported by an acrylic base that I painted white to match the white tank bottom. The pipe itself will be black so it is not noticeable, and I used black zip ties.

I used a bulkhead to hold the pipe up.

Here we are with the beginnings of the aquascaping. I tried to put the big rocks on the bottom to keep the center of gravity low. The last thing I want is an avalanche.

Just about finished

and done

I tried to spread the corals around so all the sides were equally colorful, but it didn’t work so well. Oh well, guess I’ll have to get more!

A couple days later and it was time to move the fish in to their new home. Seem pretty happy so far

and the last pic after everything was all cleaned up.

Hopefully I’ll start work on the sump. I’m thinking about building it out of glass, not acrylic.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

Nice touch stacking the rock.

Marty
Old 12/31/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

I like the rock column! Can you explain how the PVC is connected to the base please?
Old 12/31/2007, 04:36 PM
NaCL-H20 REEFER EXPERT

What type of paint did you use on the pipe that the rock is on, I hope it's reef safe......
Old 12/31/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

You have mad tyte skillz sir!
Old 12/31/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

sweet build, nice stand/canopy... love that rock pillar as well. There must be some crazy flow with those vortechs in there , would love a pair in my tank. Keep it up

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 12/31/2007, 06:53 PM

Love the aquascape.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

How about an update.

Marty
Old 12/31/2007, 10:52 PM
Obsessed

call me a cop but thats a 30 inch tank and you have a tang in there..
Old 12/31/2007, 11:17 PM
I <3 Fish.

Wow that looks awesome. Sorry if I missed it, but are you going to be adding sand or going BB?
Old 01/01/2008, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

So exactly what are you saying?

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by Zestay
Old 01/01/2008, 12:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I guess there can never be thread that goes without somebody bashing on what fish they have in their tank.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:00 AM
Premium Member

Zebrasoma flavescens, Yellow Tang, 75 gal (285l). From the moderators of reef central.
Marty

Quote:

Last edited by martinphillip03; 01/01/2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01/01/2008, 08:59 AM
Moved In

[flamealert]

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 01/01/2008, 09:01 AM
Moved In

Another note here folks, instead of everyone quoting something like this, just ignore and report it.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 01/01/2008, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
That overflow kind of makes me nervous. Do you thing it would be advantageous to cut two glass triangle pieces for support underneath?
Old 01/01/2008, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Question. What's the advantage of using styrofoam only on the bottom edges instead of across the entire floor?

Great work by the way....especially on the rockwork. I've learned a ton reading your thread.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:42 PM
RC Staff

Great job!!

These pretzels are making me thirsty...
Old 01/02/2008, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Sweet Rock Design! How did you get the rock to stack? Did you attach the rock to the pole for safety?
Old 01/02/2008, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

I really think you should consider putting that acrylic gaurd that you mentioned making on that reefkeeper. I have had salt creep far from the source it came from.

On a happy note, everything looks fantastic. I think you did an excellent job putting everything together, and I especially like the rock!

the little read house is just my myspace, I do not have a cool reef website yet ):
Old 01/03/2008, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys
So sorry I haven’t been replying, been busy with the holidays and some un-aquarium related home renos. Honestly I haven’t done much to the tank since the last post, but I will be starting up with the sump build very soon.

Quote:
Originally posted by kipher
I like the rock column! Can you explain how the PVC is connected to the base please?
The pvc is connected to the acrylic base by a bulkhead. I thought about trying to glue an acrylic rod, but I decided to go with a bulkhead as I thought it would be simpler. I also have a trick planned for the sump return. I’ll give you a hint, it involves all the holes I drilled in the pvc pipe.

Quote:
Originally posted by asmodeus
What type of paint did you use on the pipe that the rock is on, I hope it's reef safe......
Krylon fussion. All my research tells me it is totally reef safe and I have used it a few times before with no adverse effects. It should be left ot offgass for atleast 48 hrs, and I tent to leave it for a good week or so just to be safe.

Quote:
blahhh pish posh, he’s a yellow tang, he’ll be fine. So far he seems happier than a termite in a lumber yard. I won’t be putting any nasos or sohals in here.. I know a thing or two about this hobby, so rest assured.

Quote:
Originally posted by InvaderJim
Wow that looks awesome. Sorry if I missed it, but are you going to be adding sand or going BB?
Not sure I really talked about this much already, but I’m going BB. Under everything, I put a piece of 3/8” acrylic that I painted white. This will protect the bottom of my tank if I have an avalanche, and I’m hoping kick some light back up at the corals. At least until It cakes over with coralline. I like sand bottom tanks but I thought I would try BB this time.

Quote:
Originally posted by wabio
That overflow kind of makes me nervous. Do you thing it would be advantageous to cut two glass triangle pieces for support underneath?
I though about it, but I decided that the sided and back were more than strong enough. It will only hold 4-5 gallons or so as the overflow will only be half full once the drain pipe is in. never the less I will keep a close eye, and if I need to put some supports in I will.

Quote:
Originally posted by wabio
Question. What's the advantage of using styrofoam only on the bottom edges instead of across the entire floor?

Great work by the way....especially on the rockwork. I've learned a ton reading your thread.
As per proper glass tank design, the bottom pain of glass does not rest on the stand. Infact it site ¼” above the bottom of the sides. The sides and front / back should cary the weight of the aquarium. This being said the bottom won’t touch the stand, so I only need styro around the perimeter where the tank will be in contact with the stand. Styro is great, helps level off your tank like measuring and shimming never could.

Quote:
Originally posted by druluv
Sweet Rock Design! How did you get the rock to stack? Did you attach the rock to the pole for safety?
yupp that’s exactly what I did. I used black zip ties to attach the rock to the central pvc pole. Worked great. Not all the rock is attached, only the big pieces. I will use epoxy putty to attach the rest once I get the chance. For now the small pieces are just sitting there loosely.