Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 01:59 AM
Huge Member

Oh dude, I hate to harsh the buzz but you should have waited to add salt to water, not water to salt.

Most of the time it will solidify on the bottom and it can be a PITA, and it will sometimes mess with your Alk a little. Not to say it can't be fixed but next time...I actually just heard that on reefcast, so if I'm wrong, you guys should yell at Melev

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/05/2007, 02:47 AM
I <3 Fish.

Looking good. I'm not big on the color of the stain, but I like the stand.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

yea i think you're right about the salt. it's taking forever for the tank to clear (it's full, but no pics yet).. oh well.

haha, different strokes for different folks. the girlfreind picked the stain out. it reminds me of this big oak chest my parrent used to have in the dining room. it was like 100 years old. probably worth somthing, but my mom hauked it to a junk collector. anyway,, to be honest i don't like the stain much either, but i really have no say in the matter....
Old 12/05/2007, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Great work!!!

Nothing more satisfying then a DIY.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:24 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

regarding the reflector way back on p1:

play with slightly crinkled tinfoil. Its reflective abilities are almost the same as polished aluminum and that looks like the perfect application. and no matter what, slightly crinkled tinfoil >>>>>reflective than dull finish aluminum
Old 12/05/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

to be honest i'm pretty sick of talking about that reflector. but maybe i'll try the tin-foil trick before i pick up a lumenarch
Old 12/05/2007, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

Well I guess were done discussing the hood. Great job so far.

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by george1098
to be honest i'm pretty sick of talking about that reflector. but maybe i'll try the tin-foil trick before i pick up a lumenarch
Old 12/05/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

A day after the tank was filled. The water is still pretty murky from the salt… hopefully it will clear up soon. This pic isn’t the greatest, it makes the water look brownish, when in fact it’s more of a gray. I guess the lighting and room colors messed things up,, I’m no photog.

Here’s the back. I have pretty much all the electrical done. I had a hell of a time setting up the aquacontroller 3, but it is running like clockwork. Now I get to figure out how it works.

that’s all for now. Hopefully I will get the lighting over the tank soon and start work on the sumps.
Does anyone have any suggestions for some cool aquascaping methods???
Old 12/05/2007, 09:40 PM
Enjoying Life

Coming along nicely! Really like how you have set this up. Will be following this one
Old 12/05/2007, 10:00 PM
NaCL-H20 REEFER EXPERT

sweet build man looking SWEET
Old 12/06/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

Great setup. Keep up the updates.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'm coming in to a really b usy weekend, so i'm not sure if i will have much time for the tank, but I would like to getthe canopy built and over the tank so I can start moving in live rock early next week.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

Why did decide to use the Echotech Marine Votrecs? What advantages do they have over a closed loop system?

Marty

[QUOTE]Originally posted by george1098
[B]Here’s a shot I forgot to include last update. I couldn’t resist, and I had to try out my vortechs. These things are awesome! They generate incredible water movement, and I can’t wait to play with the controller (if it ever comes out)… They are a little loud, but the directions say they should quiet down.

I

[
Old 12/06/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

I went with the vortecs for several reasons: they draw less power, produce atleast as much, probably even more flow, are waaaayyy easier to clean and maintain, are very technologically sophisticated (can be used with the wireless controller if it ever comes out), and you don't have to drill the tank. when all is said and done a pair of vortecs are probably close if price, if not cheaper than a closed loop with all the plumbing and an expensive reeflo barracuda or hammerhead pump... since I had limited space in my stand I also didn't want to take up much room with a closed loop and all it's plumbing. Long story short, the vortecs are just less of a pain in the *** as a closed loop. check out my old tank thread for a monster closed loop. there is a link on the first page.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:42 PM
Psuedo Member

didnt see a return, did you drill for your return line from the sump or are you just going to return it over the top?

Any reason you drilled the back of the external overflow instead of the bottom?

Love the set up and time you took to design the tank. Great build thread. On a scale of 1-10 how hard was it to build the tank its self? Wondering how much for material to construct the tank? I've thinking of making a tank for some time.

fyi, keep an eye on the vortech driver...i guess they tend to corrode and they arent covered by ecotech. Not sure how much they run but the booklet said replacement was up to the owner not the manufacturer.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:50 PM
SpEd Man

Quote:
Originally posted by george1098
I went with the vortecs for several reasons: they draw less power, produce atleast as much, probably even more flow, are waaaayyy easier to clean and maintain, are very technologically sophisticated (can be used with the wireless controller if it ever comes out)
It is out http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...egory_Code=Eco ;I plan to get one soon for my 65 build up.
Old 12/06/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

WOW now that is a nice tank. Cool DIY.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stevedola
didnt see a return, did you drill for your return line from the sump or are you just going to return it over the top?

Any reason you drilled the back of the external overflow instead of the bottom?

Love the set up and time you took to design the tank. Great build thread. On a scale of 1-10 how hard was it to build the tank its self? Wondering how much for material to construct the tank? I've thinking of making a tank for some time.

fyi, keep an eye on the vortech driver...i guess they tend to corrode and they arent covered by ecotech. Not sure how much they run but the booklet said replacement was up to the owner not the manufacturer.
the return will just be over the top. it is my experience that this is much simpler and reliable than drilling the tank, and dealing with check valves and things, and it's one less hole in the tank. I drilled the back of the overflow because it is only 4mm glass, while the bottom is 9mm glass. the bottom of the overflow is also acting as a brace to the back pain since it is not braced at the top (because of the overflow). I wouldn't say building your tank is too hard. if you get you glass cut by pro's, and make sure your measurements are right. Also have plenty of wood handy, a good couple of squares (i made mine) and lots of clamps. It also helps to have lots pf paper towels and a strong solvent around, like ethanol or acetone, incase you get a silicone gob on your glass.... practive building a nano tank or sump first.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crab0000
It is out http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...egory_Code=Eco ;I plan to get one soon for my 65 build up.
woa that's cool. thanks, i might have to pick up a couple of those. i'm nto sure that's actually the wireless controller we've been hearing so much about or if that's some other type of wave device. i'll have to ask my wholesale guy
Old 12/09/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Canopies finished!
Well.. pretty much finished. It’s pretty much just a box that sits on top of the tank. the tank doesn’t actually support any weight, it attached to the stand by a 2 foot hinge. Anyway, here are some pics.
The aluminum frame is just screwed to some wood blocks inside the canopy box.

and here’s the box finished with the top put on before staining and painting. Like the stand, I will paint the inside white and the out side will be stained and varnished.

and she’s done!.. well, except for the doors. Those aren’t essential to the aquarium’s function, so they will have to wait until last. That 400 watt halide sure is bright.

Here’s what I am using for the moonlight.

and here’s a shot of the back of the canopy, from inside the stand. I used blue LED fans that make nice moonlights themselves, as well as cool the canopy. These fans blow air in, and I have a third fan on the top that sucks air out. Lots of ventilation.

Here’s a shot through the hole that will eventually be covered by a door. Notice the fluorescent spiral moonlight bulbs location at the back.

That’s all for now. I am going to start moving some rock over tonight, hopefully it will speed up the cycling. I also still have to put an acrylic water guard between the lights and the tank. I was going to incorporate it in to the canopy like I did with my other tanks, but I couldn’t think of a good way to do it. I decided the easiest way is just to cit a piece of acrylic to size, and plop it on top of the tan. Nothing too fancy at all.
Old 12/09/2007, 03:14 PM
Huge Member

WOW, I really like your 3 viewable sided idea. It looks great and the stand is so functional. The fact that the entire thing was DIY makes it all the better too. Keep up the awesome work!

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/09/2007, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Beautiful job so far. Can't wait to watch it progress.

Are you concerned at all having the ACIII over the overflow?
Old 12/09/2007, 05:46 PM
Moved On

Awesome job!
Old 12/10/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

did you have any pics of the moonlight in action
Old 12/10/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Beautiful job so far. Can't wait to watch it progress.

Are you concerned at all having the ACIII over the overflow?
To be honest I had a brain fart when I mounted the controller.. it is awfull close to the overflow isn't it. I was thinking I could make an acrylic sheild if I had to, or even just move it. (it's only attatched by velcro and all the wires are more than long enouph). I will see how it does when I get every thing plumbed up and water flowing through the system before I make a decide though.