Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Sanjay Joshi, Ph.D.
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/11/2006, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Light

Hi Sanjay,

much thanks for your great articles about light! I read them with pleasure.
You wrote, "...that photons are generated when electrons shift from a higher energy level to a lower level and these energy levels are discret." That´s right. But looking at figures 2,3, etc (of part II, photons) I see a continuous distrubution of wavelenghts. Doesn´t that mean, that a HQI-bulb emitts (sends out) all possible wavelengths between 400 and 700 nm?! But that´s an infinite number! So my question: Why are there no "black holes" in the distribution? Or in other words: Why is there a continuous spectrum instead of an expected line spectrum?
And by the way: In your figures sunlight is shown as a contiuous spectrum. But remember the Fraunhofer-lines - there are a lot of wavelenghts missing in the sunlight! Do you know, whether anybody ever checked out, whether the wavelengths corresponding to the Fraunhofer-lines are missing in the light from our HQI-bulbs, too? Otherwise we illuminate our corals with wavelengths, which they have never seen in their life ... Please excuse my bad English With kind regards, Erwin
Old 04/11/2006, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

Erwin:

The appearance of the spectrum depends on the measurement resolution and presentation. I do not think the spectroradiometers we trypically use can catch the Fraunhofer-lines. For most practical applications this is fine since most organisims have a very broad absorption spectrum. The data presented is taken at 2 nm intervals and as plotted it tends to appear smooth and continous.

The metal halides also have a very "spikey" output corresponding to the halide and mercury vapor mix and in reality it would be a lot of lines distributed throughout the wavelength range. Its quite likely that there may be similar Fraunhofer lines for MH but I have not seen them reported anywhere, or thier impact on corals.

Hope this answers your questions.

sanjay.