Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 11/27/2007, 10:43 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerarmy40
I dont want to read the entire thread so here we go, I was wondering if a icecap 440 will overdrive my 39w t5's? I will be using a 4 bulb retro to suppliment my single hamilton 250w 10k and was considering 2 x b+ and 2x ati act. any input would greatly be appreciated!
That will work EXCEPT that the 430 ballast can only run 2 T5's. If you want to add some PAR run the blue pluse on the 430 and the actinics on a standard T5 ballast./
Old 11/28/2007, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the reply! I guess the math doesnt quite add up with the icecap ballasts? Im thinking 430 is plenty for 4 39w bulbs...but I guess it doesnt work that way! I know a guys who is running three 36" vho's on a 430, how is that doable? should I just invest in a 660 if I want to overdrive all the bulbs?
Old 11/28/2007, 02:55 AM

According to Ice Cap 2 T5 of any length on a 430. They wont make any promises about 3
Old 11/28/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I might start with that setup, for simplicity. So would a 54 X 6 (324W) system put out more light than an 80 X 4 (320W) system? I know that with t-8's the NO are more effieciant than the HO, and the HO are more effiecient than the VHO on a lumen/Watt basis. If I can fit 6 under my hood, would I be better off?
Old 11/28/2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reeformadness
Thanks for the reply. I think I might start with that setup, for simplicity. So would a 54 X 6 (324W) system put out more light than an 80 X 4 (320W) system? I know that with t-8's the NO are more effieciant than the HO, and the HO are more effiecient than the VHO on a lumen/Watt basis. If I can fit 6 under my hood, would I be better off?
The overdriven aka VHO system will put more intensity to the bottom of the tank and is more efficient than HO T5's.
Old 11/28/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Hi Grim,

I hear you are the man to talk to regarding lighting fixture and bulbs. I've been reading your threads and would like to say thanks for the advice you provided to others. I have just purchased a Aquactinics Constellation fixture.

My question for you is what 7 bulbs would you choose for the best lighting effect? Ill be keeping mostly SPS and fish if that matters.

Thanks in advance,
John
Old 11/28/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Lights for my 240...

I am setting up a 5' x 3' x 24" deep 240-gallon tank. I found some 60" ready-lights from sunlight supply. I ordered 5 fixtures (2 lights/fixture).

A) Will 10 60" T5's be too much? Previous owner did well with 2x400W Luminarcs, and some VHO actinics.

B) Suggestions for type and layout of 10 bulbs would be appreciated!

(SPS-dominated, but quite a few chalices on/near the bottom, and a little blasto garden planned)

Thanks,
bob
Old 11/28/2007, 04:58 PM

Phanman1

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
ATI BLue Plus
ATI Aquablue

That should look nice. Kinda like 14K halides with actinics running.
Old 11/28/2007, 05:27 PM

Re: Lights for my 240...

Quote:
Originally posted by lanman3
I am setting up a 5' x 3' x 24" deep 240-gallon tank. I found some 60" ready-lights from sunlight supply. I ordered 5 fixtures (2 lights/fixture).

A) Will 10 60" T5's be too much? Previous owner did well with 2x400W Luminarcs, and some VHO actinics.

B) Suggestions for type and layout of 10 bulbs would be appreciated!

(SPS-dominated, but quite a few chalices on/near the bottom, and a little blasto garden planned)

Thanks,
bob
I would grab one more ready fit so you have 12 lamps

front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic

ATI Aquablue
GE 6500K Daylight

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic

GE 6500K
ATI Aquablue

ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus

You could run the two with the blue plus and actinic for dusk dawn then add the 2 with the Pro Color and blue plus for sunrise/sunset and then the two with the 6500K and Aquablue for midday.
Old 11/28/2007, 05:41 PM
Thinking Too Hard

Grim, I was looking for ATI blue plus and Premium Aquatics is out of the ATI Blue Plus. They recommended a geisman brand though. What do you think? These lamps would be paired with 10k 250W halides.. (2 24W Blue Plus and 2 24W SuperActinics on each 10k Halide).

Also, I was asking earlier, would a 6x39W powermodule be overkill for a frag tank about 12" Deep???

Mike
Old 11/28/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Lights for my 240...

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
I would grab one more ready fit so you have 12 lamps

front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic

ATI Aquablue
GE 6500K Daylight

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic

GE 6500K
ATI Aquablue

ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus

You could run the two with the blue plus and actinic for dusk dawn then add the 2 with the Pro Color and blue plus for sunrise/sunset and then the two with the 6500K and Aquablue for midday.
I'm on a short timeline (trying to get set up from someone else's breakdown), and don't know if I can get another fixture in time. Is 10 bulbs going to come up short on light?

If I actually need 12; which of the above can I 'leave a space for' (i.e. - which pair could I most easily live without for a while?)

Thanks,
bob
Old 11/28/2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
Grim, I was looking for ATI blue plus and Premium Aquatics is out of the ATI Blue Plus. They recommended a geisman brand though. What do you think? These lamps would be paired with 10k 250W halides.. (2 24W Blue Plus and 2 24W SuperActinics on each 10k Halide).

Also, I was asking earlier, would a 6x39W powermodule be overkill for a frag tank about 12" Deep???

Mike
Can you really go overkill on a frag tank? Assuming it was SPS the powermodule would be OK.

As far as lamps I have heard Rumors Geisemann may have changed their supplier for lamps and the new blues arent as good. I don't know if thats the fact jack but it is something to keep an eye on. The Narva manufactured Actinic Plus is a good alternative to the Blue Plus.
Old 11/28/2007, 05:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Lights for my 240...

Quote:
Originally posted by lanman3
I'm on a short timeline (trying to get set up from someone else's breakdown), and don't know if I can get another fixture in time. Is 10 bulbs going to come up short on light?

If I actually need 12; which of the above can I 'leave a space for' (i.e. - which pair could I most easily live without for a while?)

Thanks,
bob
Try this for ten.

front

Open Space

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic

ATI Aquablue
GE 6500K Daylight

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color

ATI Aquablue
GE 6500K

ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
Old 11/28/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lights for my 240...

Quote:
Try this for ten.

front

Open Space

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic

ATI Aquablue
GE 6500K Daylight

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color

ATI Aquablue
GE 6500K

ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
Thanks! Order placed!

bob
Old 11/28/2007, 07:07 PM
Thinking Too Hard

Quote:
Can you really go overkill on a frag tank? Assuming it was SPS the powermodule would be OK.

As far as lamps I have heard Rumors Geisemann may have changed their supplier for lamps and the new blues arent as good. I don't know if thats the fact jack but it is something to keep an eye on. The Narva manufactured Actinic Plus is a good alternative to the Blue Plus.

If I threw in a few LPS and zoos for softies, what do you think. I ask you since you're a T5 Guru and I have this gut feeling the they shouldn't burn/kill the zoos like a halide might since it's a concentrated beam...

I'll just stick with the 50/50 combo of Blue+ and Super Actinic, I hope it gives me a killer look paired with the 10K halides...

Now, what should go in that powermodule!?!
Old 11/29/2007, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Hello Grim-

Thanks for you advice last week on my situation for a 4x54 setup. However, since then, I have decided to go w a 75g tank over a 55 and thusly plan to do 6x54.

I currently have 4x54 tek 5 retro kits. For two of the bulbs, I have icecap reflectors. The other have standard Tek reflectors. I plan to buy another 2x54 Tek 5 retro kit to complete a set of 6.

Based on your 4x54 recommendation, I already have the following bulbs:

Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus

My questions are:

1. Adding the add'l 2x54 tek light, which 2 add'l bulbs should I buy to add to the 4 above and what order should they be placed in the tank?
2. Which bulbs in the new 6x arrangment should I put the icecap reflectors on?

Thanks much for your advice. I've read a good bit of this thread and you are the T5 oracle!

Matt
Old 11/29/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

I have standard 55 with a four bulb tek about five inches above the water. The tank is open top. I noticed that my temp is up to 80.5 when all four bulbs are on. Before the lights turn on in the morning the temp is down to 78. Is this a normal temp increase? Room temp stays a consistent 70.
Old 11/29/2007, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

Grim, please bear with me...I know I keep asking you questions about my bulbs...

here is my current configuration: 14 bulb Constellation
front
ATI blue Plus
UVL Super actinic
GE 3000K
ATI blue Plus
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus
Ati Aquablue

so...I know you recently said to put a Pro color in there...BUT I really need is a little more blue in there... things that have great color when all the lights aren't on...just look brown when all the lights are on...reds are good, but greens become brown... so is a Por Color really what I need since it is more in the RED specturm? What I am looking for is just a tad more blue color when all the lights are on to help with those things that are brown under all the lights...I like the pinkish/red also, but just need a tad more blue....SORRY to drive you crazy, but you are the T5 man!

Thanks!
Old 11/29/2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
If I threw in a few LPS and zoos for softies, what do you think. I ask you since you're a T5 Guru and I have this gut feeling the they shouldn't burn/kill the zoos like a halide might since it's a concentrated beam...

I'll just stick with the 50/50 combo of Blue+ and Super Actinic, I hope it gives me a killer look paired with the 10K halides...

Now, what should go in that powermodule!?!
For a frag tank I would use a 50/50 mix of UVL Aquasuns and ATI Blue Plus.
Old 11/29/2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattmck73
Hello Grim-

Thanks for you advice last week on my situation for a 4x54 setup. However, since then, I have decided to go w a 75g tank over a 55 and thusly plan to do 6x54.

I currently have 4x54 tek 5 retro kits. For two of the bulbs, I have icecap reflectors. The other have standard Tek reflectors. I plan to buy another 2x54 Tek 5 retro kit to complete a set of 6.

Based on your 4x54 recommendation, I already have the following bulbs:

Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus

My questions are:

1. Adding the add'l 2x54 tek light, which 2 add'l bulbs should I buy to add to the 4 above and what order should they be placed in the tank?
2. Which bulbs in the new 6x arrangment should I put the icecap reflectors on?

Thanks much for your advice. I've read a good bit of this thread and you are the T5 oracle!

Matt
Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun With Ice Cap
Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue with Ice Cap
ATI Blue Plus
Old 11/29/2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtbetta
I have standard 55 with a four bulb tek about five inches above the water. The tank is open top. I noticed that my temp is up to 80.5 when all four bulbs are on. Before the lights turn on in the morning the temp is down to 78. Is this a normal temp increase? Room temp stays a consistent 70.
That seems about right
Old 11/29/2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
Grim, please bear with me...I know I keep asking you questions about my bulbs...

here is my current configuration: 14 bulb Constellation
front
ATI blue Plus
UVL Super actinic
GE 3000K
ATI blue Plus
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus
Ati Aquablue

so...I know you recently said to put a Pro color in there...BUT I really need is a little more blue in there... things that have great color when all the lights aren't on...just look brown when all the lights are on...reds are good, but greens become brown... so is a Por Color really what I need since it is more in the RED specturm? What I am looking for is just a tad more blue color when all the lights are on to help with those things that are brown under all the lights...I like the pinkish/red also, but just need a tad more blue....SORRY to drive you crazy, but you are the T5 man!

Thanks!
Try swapping the GE 6500K for a blue plus
Old 11/29/2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Grim.I know you must be sick of all of these questions... but we really appreciate it..... will I still have the same par or close to it.. I think I remember you saying that the Blue Plus has pretty good par...
Old 11/29/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

I'm a total newb. I am converting my planted 55g to salt. I dont know what I'm going to be keeping as of yet. I want a 14k look though. What do you recommend for a 4x54w TEK? Right now I have 2 GE 6500k bulbs and 2 Giesemann Midday 6000K running for the planted tank.
Old 11/29/2007, 07:46 PM
Thinking Too Hard

Thanks grim, now I was just curious. Why for a frag tank, 50/50 aquasuns and ATI blue + where in some other tanks, you have a wide range of different bulb combinations? Also, the tank will actually be part frag part display... A display frag tank if you will. So I'm going for a nice look too not just super growth.

Mike