Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Sanjay Joshi, Ph.D.

Old 03/07/2006, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

quick a few questions on lighting

So when an atom is charged by adding additional energy, does the osciliating electron change it's pattern, or does the rate of which it travels increse/decrease?

And when the electron is charged by more energy entering the atom, does the atom gain more energy shells?

Cheers
Dean
Old 03/09/2006, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Dean:

I am no quantum physics professor...but based on my limited understanding, as the electron gains energy it moves into a different orbit and different orbits have different shapes based on the energy and possibly interaction with other electrons. The shape of the orbit at higher energy levels can become more lobed.

The orbit itself is really just defining a volume within which the position of the electron can only be statistically determined.

I am not a 100% sure if the electron gains velocity when moving to a higher energy level. If you are really interested I could look it up and let you know for sure. Also I am not up to date with all the latest developments in quantum physics.

What is important to us, is that photons are generated when the electrons shift from a higher energy shell (or orobital ) to a lower energy level and that these energy levels are discrete.

sanjay.
Old 03/13/2006, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

Dean