Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Question To dose calcium or use calcium reactor

I am trying to decide between:

DIY 2-part calcium solution using a dosing pump
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...f/index.php#12

or

Set up a calcium reactor (I have a Koraline 40002 calcium reactor already, still need a Co2 tank and regulator)

=======
Tank : 125Gal, with a many SPS, I am dosing 2 part B-ionic solution right now

-It will cost me another $200 bux to get the Koralin reactor running (ie Co2 bottle/regulator/media)

-I can get a dosing pump for about $100, not sure how much it will cost for the DIY chemical yet, guessing $100

Would it make more sense for me to dose the DIY solution than running the reactor?
Any benefit or disadvantage? between the 2 choice?

What do you recommend? I am thinking about selling the Koralin reactor, since the dosing seem to be more cost efficient?

Thanks
Anh
Old 01/07/2008, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

your call. no real pros or cons as long as you know what you're doing with either one. once dialed in, calcium reactors are great
Old 01/07/2008, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

ca reactor provides a smooth steady dose of calcium throughout the day...two part provides a 1 minute huge spike of part one and then two...

I would rather have the smooth and steady througout the day and night, not worry about missing a dose, dosing double the next day or over dosing...

CA reactor if you can afford it
Old 01/07/2008, 02:06 PM
Reef Chemist

two part provides a 1 minute huge spike of part one and then two...

Not with a dosing pump, as he indicated he would use.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Does the Ca reactor provide magnesium also? or still need to dose on the side?

Having a 5-10lbs CO2 tank in the house is a bit scary for me (with a new born in the house), that is why I am trying to find an alternative.

On the other note, look like all the DIY chemical are available at local store Homedepot/grocery, pharmacy

==> from the instruction, it stated:
============
Editors note (3/10/07): Note, the manufacturer of MAG flake has alerted us that they very strongly recommend against using this product in reef aquaria. While many reef aquarists have successfully used the product, the manufacturer does not claim to be able to provide this product at suitable quality in the future
============
==> what is my alternative for this? maybe ready made solution would work. since I don't need a lot of these anyway.?

Thanks
Anh
Old 01/07/2008, 02:54 PM
Reef Chemist

Depending on the media, it may provide some or all that you need, or it may not provide enough.

what is my alternative for this? maybe ready made solution would work. since I don't need a lot of these anyway.?

You can buy it from a vendor that stocks the pre bromide version (like two part solutions), or use a different supplier for the calcium chloride (like Tetra).

Or you can buy a pre made two part, like B-ionic.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

If you already have the reactor i would just go that route but either would work just fine.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

thanks. I think I got the answer I needed.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

On the downside, a calcium reactor doses effluent at a ph of around6.8. The CO2 can lower your system's ph to a chronic 7.8 or 7.9 level. Randy in one of his articles expalins this and notes that many systems work well at this ph.
I choose to offset it with limewater dosing at night from a still resevoir(ph about 12.5) The two balance each other off and enable a contiuous ph between 8.25 amd 8.34. For a large system, it's hard to beat this combination.
2 part may get expensive for a system as big as yours, particularly in view of the current bromide issues related to bulk products.