Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 07/13/2005, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

Question QT

Ok I'm ready to get some fish...I set up the QT today and will get a pair of clowns. I set up the 20L with water from the display (a water change) added a heater, and started a little external filter. Should I add a snail or smething to feed the bacteria?
Old 07/13/2005, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
I'm interesdted in the hydor thing too. I have been using 1 for about a month and I still don't know if I like it. The only thing I know for sure is that the gsp loves it.
I have a Hydor head on a MJ1200 just because I felt a corner did not have enough flow. So far it does what I had hoped it would.
Old 07/14/2005, 07:14 AM
Premium Member

Re: QT

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
Ok I'm ready to get some fish...I set up the QT today and will get a pair of clowns. I set up the 20L with water from the display (a water change) added a heater, and started a little external filter. Should I add a snail or smething to feed the bacteria?
Nirol, take the filter pad from the QT and put it in your sump for a while. That will help it get some bacteria.

Here are some of Bob's pictures he emailed me. He found a royal gramma somewhere.

Old 07/14/2005, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Alright Brian! Now you are going to make me want a clam.

Landon, your going to make me want to set up a whole new tank with just corals.

Well Phil maybe you are right about the clowns. Captive bred or not maybe they should be matched or paired or as you said one be way bigger than the other. I had to remove the smaller clown the other day because it is now missing 3/4 of its tail. I noticed the tail was damaged when I got home and when I was doing a water change the same night I noticed most of the tail was disappeared. My first thought was crab but after watching I saw the other clown go around behind this clown and nip at its tail. It looks like a semi-circular bite right out of the tail. Any suggestions? The clown is doing OK in the QT tank, still eating and swimming around and I think found a new friend in the blue tang. they like to swim together up and down the QT tank.

BTW the Sally lightfoot crab I got is coming out if I can catch it. Live and Learn and listen to Pat. Crabs = Bad.

I think I saw a mantis in the tank the other night. Very small though. I have always heard clicking but this is the first I have seen anything that resembles a mantis.
Old 07/14/2005, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Dennis, do you have a picture of the clown and it's missing tail?

Today is the big day for the gramma. Hopefully it likes its new home.
I want to order more fish, but don't know how many I can keep in a 10g QT at one time. I just hate to pay shipping charges if I can only keep one or 2 in QT. Both Bob and I would like a couple of new fish.

I also saw snail eggs all over my tank today.

Those pistol shrimp sure are fast! This morning when I was feeding, a large piece of flake food floated near it's rock, and this thing came out of the rock and grabbed the flake so quickly, I couldn't believe it. I never would have even had time to snap a picture if I had the camera focused and ready to shoot....that's how fast it was.

Have you seen any other signs of a mantis in the tank before you spotted it? What color was it. Could it possibly have been a pistol?
Old 07/14/2005, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Dennis, do you have a picture of the clown and it's missing tail?

Today is the big day for the gramma. Hopefully it likes its new home.
I want to order more fish, but don't know how many I can keep in a 10g QT at one time. I just hate to pay shipping charges if I can only keep one or 2 in QT. Both Bob and I would like a couple of new fish.

I also saw snail eggs all over my tank today.

Those pistol shrimp sure are fast! This morning when I was feeding, a large piece of flake food floated near it's rock, and this thing came out of the rock and grabbed the flake so quickly, I couldn't believe it. I never would have even had time to snap a picture if I had the camera focused and ready to shoot....that's how fast it was.

Have you seen any other signs of a mantis in the tank before you spotted it? What color was it. Could it possibly have been a pistol?
No picture as of yet but if I remember I will take one tonight. If the cable company comes to fix my cable/internet I will post it tonight but that is wishfull thinking because they were suppose to be out last night. Contractors for the telephone company cut my cable line when they were running new phone lines. .

No just clicking. I have heard clicking from the time the first rock went in from part 1 but have never seen anything until the other day. It was red, about 1" to 1-1/4" long and smaller in diameter than a pencil. It moved straight out and straight back. No turning around or anything.

Of all the snails in my tank I have never seen any eggs.
Old 07/14/2005, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
It moved straight out and straight back. No turning around or anything.
That sounds more like a pistol than a mantis. The pistols will back up without turning around. I had a small one that was red...so maybe it's not a mantis.

This is the first time in my tank that I've seen eggs. The snails have been in there one month today. There are some on rocks and a big long line of them on the back glass.

The gramma is in the tank. It's staying in the same position in some rocks for a while now. Hopefully it will get un-scared and start to swim around.
Old 07/14/2005, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
That sounds more like a pistol than a mantis. The pistols will back up without turning around. I had a small one that was red...so maybe it's not a mantis.

This is the first time in my tank that I've seen eggs. The snails have been in there one month today. There are some on rocks and a big long line of them on the back glass.

The gramma is in the tank. It's staying in the same position in some rocks for a while now. Hopefully it will get un-scared and start to swim around.
I haven't seen it again but I will keep looking.

Well we know what goes on in your tanks.
Old 07/14/2005, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

Looks like it's just you and I today Dennis.

The rg is in the tank and swimming around. It's bigger than the clown fish.

Old 07/14/2005, 01:45 PM
Tang? What Tang!

The royal looks nice Pat, tank is looking nice also
Old 07/14/2005, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

Tank looks nice Pat. Do you only have one clown in your tank?
Old 07/14/2005, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

nope, your not alone,
Old 07/14/2005, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

2 of them. You can see them both on the upper right hand side in this picture.

Does anyone have any experience with a copperbanded butterfly? I was thinking about getting one for Bob's tank.
Old 07/14/2005, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Oz
The royal looks nice Pat, tank is looking nice also
I'm pleased with the way the tank is coming along so far. Little by little it will get better.

The seio has been behaving for the past 24 hrs, but you can see that tank shot I just posted how it's re-arranged the sand bed for me.

It's just way too quiet here today. Nobody's posting anything.

Bob, what type of fish do you have in your fish only tank?
Old 07/14/2005, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

You do not want to put a Butterfly fish in a Reef tank. They eat corals. Just a warning Pat.
Old 07/14/2005, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Phil thanks for the tip in the PM. i searched the commands again and again. i dont know how i missed the crop command.

Pat, Phil is right. the red coral in my tank is a brain from the family lobophyllia (sp?) and the two blue things are crocea clams. i like the croceas because i can keep them up on the rock, and they come in some pretty neat colors. the one on the right has some green and gold in it if you look at it from the top. looks like i need to give clamsdirect a call though

Brian/Dennis, patience will bring you the tank of your dreams its taken a lot of time and effort to get my tank the way it looks. if you put effort into researching your corals (getting stuff that you like and will do well in your tank) you will end up as happy as i am
Old 07/14/2005, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Things move really fast in this thread!!!

Going back a page-- if you want an easy way to resize pictures, and you have XP-- you can download from Microsoft a FREE image resize tool, that works right from Explorer.

This allows you to select multiple pictures, right mouse click, select 'Resize' then choose the resolution. The orginals stay put; new files of the correct resolution are created.

These new files are a lot faster to upload to photobucket, and I think are a nice size for viewing on a PC. This is a picture I took on the 'medium' setting:

Let me know if you are interested and can't find it; I should be able to locate it tonight or tomorrow.

--Mike
Old 07/14/2005, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Pat .. you should be able to put a couple of fish in the 10g qt .. just make sure to keep an eye on your Ammonia levels. Depending on how much filtration you have you should be ok .. depends on the bioload of the fish. You don't want to have too many in case you need to pull a fish from your Display to put in the qt. Best to have a seperate tank for fish so you don't give something to the fish already in your qt tank. Hope that all makes sense. At least thats my opinion.
Old 07/14/2005, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bstear
You do not want to put a Butterfly fish in a Reef tank. They eat corals. Just a warning Pat.
Thanks. I knew it wouldn't be good in my tank, and wanted something for Bob's tank. But now that he's starting to like corals, I guess I need to re-think what to get.
He needs a bright larger fish. It's hard to find one that is reef safe.
Old 07/14/2005, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Pat tank is looking great.

ive heard the green clown gobies are safe, but the others (yellow, black, citron, etc...) will nip at SPS coral polyps. the CBB is a beautiful fish, but they are a little hard to get to eat, and they like worms (ie featherdusters, christmas tree worms, horshoe worms, etc...).
Old 07/14/2005, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho.../bllps502f.htm

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
Pat the wierd sound and the mb is from sucking air from the surface. try moving it down a little and aim it up at the surface. this should help with the surface noise and the SB problem.

how do you have it mounted? mine are silent.

does any one know how to crop in photoshop? i have version 6.0.
Old 07/14/2005, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

pat, the copperband is one of the hardest butterflies to keep,imo and is probally not reef safe. i have a y tang, pj cardnal, 7 yr old perc, firefish and a coral beauty not to mention all the tbs rejects. urchins, crabs, snails and whatever, plus a 6 yr old banded coral shrimp. this is in my 55
Old 07/14/2005, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Do many of you have a problem with the tangs and ich? That's my biggest fear about getting one. I did love the picture Dennis posted of his new one the other day.

Also, does anyone know anything about this coral? Is it good or bad?
http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=179700L
Old 07/14/2005, 03:08 PM
Tang? What Tang!

I have a few tangs Pat, and I have never had an ich problem of any kind. Of course I QT all fish and I know you do also, so I would not let that hold you back, they are beautiful fish and fun to watch
Old 07/14/2005, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Pat - Your tank looks very nice - sort of serene, Japanese or something - I keep coming back to the pic

Dennis - I missed the tale - what is wrong with a Sally Lightfoot

[QUOTE]Originally posted by patsan
[B]Looks like it's just you and I today Dennis.

The rg is in the tank and swimming around. It's bigger than the clown fish.