Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/20/2005, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

What is this?

Here's proof you find things for months. Tonight I found this, this, thing?

Anyone have a clue? It's living in a hole in the rock, and the plant-root looking things are its tentacles. It holds them in the current then obviously captures stuff and one by one brings the tentacles in to its mouth (?), then back out.

Easily the strangest thing I've seen in my tank - and new to me three months after I started.

Anyone got a clue what it is?

I took a video of it "eating" but I'm not sure if there's a good/easy way to post a small video...

- Michael
Old 05/20/2005, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

That is awesome Michael! I would imagine it has to be some sort of worm by the looks of it. It almost has an appearance of the little thing you see right near the pictures of the Christmas Tree worms we've seen posted.
Old 05/20/2005, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

freaky.........
Old 05/20/2005, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

I'm finally done. So far all I have to say "This TBS rock is absolutely unbelievable!" THANK YOU TBS! This is all just from what I saw right out of the bag. Pics to follow.
Old 05/20/2005, 09:10 PM
Soul of a Sailor

It's a filter feeding cucumber.
Old 05/20/2005, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
It's a filter feeding cucumber.
Bingo - I was actually thinking that may be what I was seeing (no really - I was!)

So this is the "business end" of the ugly donkey dung thing that's moving around the tank ? Would it have a "standard" lumpy brown body?

So cool...

- Michael
Old 05/20/2005, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Here are my TBS pics.
Here is the rock at the SW cargo area.

All loaded up.

5 boxes and 270 lbs.

Checking the boxes.

Box contents.

More to come!
Old 05/20/2005, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Looks great so far Dennis!
Keep the pictures coming! I've stayed up all night waiting to see what you got....
Old 05/20/2005, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

A bit later than intended but I said I'd post some more pictures tonight.

Full Tank Shot:

Left Side:

Right Side:

Same Flower Anemone as before but a bit better picture.
Old 05/20/2005, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

The pics looks great Dennis.

We found where are problem is coming from. We found one rock that had a few dead sponges on it and a dead turkey wing. Then we found another rock the same way. It was so smelly. So we pulled out the rocks and i used a toothbrush to brush away the soft mushy part. The we pulled the rest off. We had to use a screw driver to get the turkey wings off. Arthur is now doing another water change and i just did one a few hours ago. Hopefully in the morning we will see a big drop in our ammonia. The ammonia staying at 1 & 2 is killing my sponges
Old 05/20/2005, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

OK, here are some more.

Here is the sand going in.

Here is the coolest rock out of them all IMO. I had a tough time deciding what side to put in the front.

Here are some of the other rock. I got a total of I think 8 rocks.

Old 05/20/2005, 10:32 PM
My Kung Fu is strong!

i dislike turkeywings
Old 05/20/2005, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

Dennis, congraats! Looks familiar! A lot of work getting that stuff in the tank isn't it. But pretty cool when the water clears. Looks like yours leaked too.
Old 05/20/2005, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

The only gorilla crab that I saw and it was a big one. I think it had eggs too. I will have a better pic later on this bad boy (or I should say girl)

What are all these things?

Some of the extras that were left in the bag.

Emptying the bag to make sure I didn't leave anything good behind. I swirled the water around in the bucket like I was panning for gold to search for hitchhikers.
Old 05/20/2005, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Full tank shot.

Here is a crab that came to the front for his picture. It looks like it has hairy legs but I can see the feathery appendages filtering the water so I think he is OK.

Rock shots.

Sorry for so many at once. That should give everyone their TBS fix for the night.
Old 05/20/2005, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dood68
i dislike turkeywings
What's a turkey wing?
Old 05/20/2005, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

wow! Dennis your rocks must have been beside mine! They are identical...same little star, gorrillas, worms, etc. Cool!
Old 05/20/2005, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
wow! Dennis your rocks must have been beside mine! They are identical...same little star, gorrillas, worms, etc. Cool!
I think I pulled about 5 of those stars out of the bag nad put in the tank along with 2 crabs that I thought were OK.

I did only find 1 gorilla and 3 urchins that I removed. I did see some snails or what I thought were welks that I didn't put in either.
Old 05/20/2005, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

I did have 1 rock that smelled really bad right out of the box. It was small and didn't have much on it so I left it out. I only smelled some nasty stuff on one other rock and I rubbed it off until I couldn't really smell it anymore.
Old 05/20/2005, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
What's a turkey wing?
It looks like an ugly clam to me. If i am correct there is a pic of one on the TBS site. We got alot of them on our rock.
Old 05/20/2005, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Dennis, congraats! Looks familiar! A lot of work getting that stuff in the tank isn't it. But pretty cool when the water clears. Looks like yours leaked too.
Thanks. That is alot of work. This stuff is fairly heavy but not too bad. The worse thing is placing the rocks after the sand because you can't see what you are doing.

I don't see how any of my bags leaked. I had lots of water in each bag and they were like quadrupled (sp?) bagged. Some were in like 4 other bags and all rubber banded. TBS does really take alot of effort in their shipping procedures to make sure your rock gets to you still in water.
Old 05/20/2005, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Signed, sealed, delivered!

Just a quick update:
My wife and I picked up our rock late last night from the airport. The whole trip went smooth (except for the forklift driver dropping a box off the pallet).
We opened the boxes and WOW! The rock crawled out the of box and did a swan dive off my couch into the tank. TBS is not kidding when they say there is alot of life! The pictures I've seen don't lie! These rocks are amazing. I had a hard time deciding which end to put on the bottom.
We have done many water tests and Am. is staying around .25. So far so good!
My wife spotted a red crab hiding in a cave. Its still too hard to get a good look at him. Hoping he will make an appearance soon.
I did take lots of pics, which I will post in the next few days. I'm a little worried about getting part 2. I can't figure out how I'm going to place it on top of part 1 without crushing something.

A big thanks to Richard and the TBS crew. The boxes were shipped extremely well packed, and no water was lost in route to Colorado.
Now to sit and watch the rock come to life!
Old 05/21/2005, 12:10 AM
Yikes!

Great thread, I hadn't realized this was here!
maybe I'll add a pound or 20 to my setup, thanks patsan!
Old 05/21/2005, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

We got a 29 gallon package from TBS. This rock has more color and life on it than i can ever find at a lfs store. You will always find some new life down the road. Seems like new things pop up all the time. I enjoy looking for all the hitch hikers...bad and good. We just got our part 2 a few days ago and now our tank seems over crowded..lol. I have no clue where we will be able to add any corals when it comes time to do so. I will somehow find room tho..even if i have to super glue the corals to a rock. I find that loctite super glue glue works well. I use it to glue my zoos and kenya frags. Its not good for the xenia and palys...they slime. Buy i figure if i have to i will glue a coral to a rock and then glue that rock to a TBS rock.
Old 05/21/2005, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

turkey wings

Well there seems to be a lot of us getting started together - which is great. I got 4 (that I've found) rather large turkey wing mullosks - I had been calling them clams and then bi-valves - but on TBS they are identified as turkey wings...on one really nice piece of rock there are two of them together, and they are positioned in a way that I have to place them on the sand or place some nice sponge on the sand, which I don't want to do. Is it possible to remove these guys and place them elsewhere? Or do I really need to figure out a compromised placement?