Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/02/2005, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

over did it again...owww!

man i wish I could go back to my old presurgery self again. Last thursday I picked up a 250 plus pound log and put it in the back of my ttruck.I followed that up with a bigger one next(couldn't pick that up,just tipped it in) I guess I over stressed my disks in my neck again because I've got pain down one side again....grrrr. Now I have to take my muscle relaxer then a pain pill before bed so i can get 4 hours sleep.All this while I'm starting back on my therapy.Before i got hurt I used to pick up and move beams that weighed up to 1000 lbs.Now I can't
Old 04/02/2005, 08:20 PM
PARC Member & Reef Monkey

sorry to hear about your back. I used to rock climb, play football with the kids, etc. and then when I was pregnant 13 years ago was rear-ended and injured my back. I can't rock climb anymore, which I really don't mind, but it is the stupid day to day stuff that I always did for myself that annoys me--not that I could every pick up 1000 lbs. but then I am only 5'2" Just remember that you have to take it easy or you will be back in surgery again and will be able to do even less. The weather this weekend probably isn't helping any either.
Old 04/02/2005, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

thanks for your support. Actually my back is doing pretty good. My neck however is in sad shape. two disks removed and one metal plate and another fusion.Got three more disks about to rupture. lifes fun But I don't moan about it much. Got hurt on the job back in '89' and the docs never checked my neck so it went to heck in a hurry. OH... took my pills so I'm now seeing pretty colors
Old 04/02/2005, 09:42 PM
Fishaholics Anonymous

wow u got hurt the year i was born i feel so young

nano-cube dx
65 gallon african cichlid tank
2.5 gal betta tank

Adam
Old 04/03/2005, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

Unfortunately, I feel your pain, just lower. I had a harrington rod put in about 16 years ago, and this past January, I had a lamenectomy in my lower back. I also have fusion, so I have 2 discs that have movement. This past weekend, we went to Tampa to a Rennasaince Faire and the Aquarium, and I was in pain all weekend from the walking I guess. Even though I walk all the time at work.
Anyway, I just took 4 Advil ( I have no more pain pills) and am catching up on Reef Central while waiting for the pain to subside (it's not doing it too quickly)
I hope your's is feeling better today. And also, therapy has done wonders for me, so good luck with that!
Old 04/03/2005, 07:39 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Are you saying you were picking up 1000 lb. beams by yourself? How big are you? Man, that's alot of weight to be picking up by yourself. Hope you feel better.
Old 04/03/2005, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

from..freed...
Quote:
are you saying you were picking up 1000 lb. beams by yourself?
Not quite you just pick one end up and move it to the side or put some dunnage under it.The most weight is in moving barjoice across the bay.you pick one end up and move it to the side as far as you can,then your buddy on the other side does the same.By myself I was able to move nearly 5oo lbs on a good day......from mightymouse...
Quote:
wow u got hurt the year i was born i feel so young
and now I feel very old... But yea, it happened some time ago, I started getting the symptoms way back in 94-95',followed by surgery in '98' sinus correction surgery in late dec of '98'(neck surgery messed up the nerves on my right side of my face) then again in 2000. Haven't worked much since then,kinda in a legal limbo as contracters consider me a liability.the dogs
Old 04/03/2005, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

from freed...
Quote:
how big are you?
Ever listen to the song... Big John?.................................well that ain't me
Old 04/03/2005, 09:27 AM
Moved In

Well don't mess yourself trying to 'be like you used to' Do you still do therapy?

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 04/03/2005, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

yes I just restarted my therapy after nearly 4 years away from it(the doc who did my surgery doesn't belive in it....good surgeon,lousy post-op) I only have about maybe one third the muscle I had before '95'. less after the first and a lot less after the second neck surgery.After the second surgery I started therapy with set goals in mind but after 13 visits the doc terminated them over my objections where upon I fired him and went to my regular dr who said it was needed for me to return to work( It's a long story and I would certainly inconvenience a lot of electrons telling it.But I could
Old 04/03/2005, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

I feel your pain also...I'm at home right now recovering from discectomy and fusion of my 6-7 vertibre of my neck. It sucks, i'm still hoping that i get the feeling back in my left hand and my left arm feels like I smacked my funny bone constantly. I'm a bricklayer by the way. My rupture actually happened DURING a physical therapy session!
Old 04/03/2005, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

ouch! I had a metal plate put in between 6 and 7 and discectomy with fusion on 3 and 4. First one ruptured getting out of bed two days after I was laid off from a completed job. second one happened on the job thanks to some nimrod,but couldn't get comp for it....either one actually even though they were triggered from the accident on the job in '89'
Old 04/03/2005, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

oh and if I haven't said it yet..... I'm an ironworker from 207
Old 04/03/2005, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Yea...Igot the metal plate too! I'm self employed, and my disability doesn't kick in for 60 days so im gonna be broke by the time this is over....good luck to you, wish you a speedy recovery
Old 04/03/2005, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

oh man, i over-did it today. like every sunday for 6 weeks. dog agility classes. i asked the instructor to not tell the class (like she did last year) that i have 2 artificial hips. i don't wanna be treated like a china doll because God knows, i ain't one! had to pull 2 dogs apart today, my innocent *wink* little corgi and a basenji ***** that wanted a piece of her. no blood, just some hurt feelings. dogs!! anyhoo, i'll take a vicodin tonight and sleep like a baby and next week, we'll stay as far away from that basenji ***** as we can!
Old 04/03/2005, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

here's a thought.... if we all take our pain medication at the same time,would we still be nuts?
Old 04/03/2005, 09:45 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by saltycurofaseadog
here's a thought.... if we all take our pain medication at the same time,would we still be nuts?

I'm sure the medication makes no difference there! I can't even remember the last time I needed an aspirin, I'm very fortunate!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 04/03/2005, 11:49 PM
Fishaholics Anonymous

well after reading all this i will certainly be more careful lifting so i dont end up with problems later on i used to have contests with friends to see who could lift the most and i always had to win lol i think ill be more careful now and those steel beams are heavy ive helped out working with those b4 for a few days wasnt fun and was def hard on the back and will make your legs burn (assuming your lifting with your legs like i do)

nano-cube dx
65 gallon african cichlid tank
2.5 gal betta tank

Adam
Old 04/04/2005, 07:48 AM
cubed

Sorry about the back pain. When you mentioned you were picking up logs, I cringed. A couple of years ago my son, who was then 16 was helping my husband move some logs and three of his vertebrae collapsed. Just crushed. Nothing they could do about it because of their location.
Old 04/04/2005, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

I know how you are feeling. Two years ago I dislocated my 5 lower vertabrates (L1-L5) and ruptured two disks and I still have problems because of it. Now I shattered my right arm at the wrist and dislocated my left collarbone. It was really fun driving a 5 speed w/ my right arm in a cast shifting w/ my left arm. Everytime I shifted my collarbone would grate and feel like somebody was sticking a knife through me. Everybody tells me I need to rest but I can't becuase of work. I've had my arm get infected twice and almost lost it the first time so maybe I need to listen to them. I told the doctor to just give me a shot and some antibotics, but he told me I wasn't going anywhere and kept me in the hospital for two days until he got the infection under control. Last time I treated it myself w/ antibotics I had. Though the first night I woke up every two hours to make sure the infection wasn't spreading any farther. It made it up to my elbow then started going down slowly for the next two days.