Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/28/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

sally crab

would a sally light foot crab cause havoc in a fowlr tank ?thing is i was thinking on going to the beach this weekend and catching a couple of small ones.would it eat featherdusters or anenomes?
Old 12/28/2007, 10:33 AM
Team RC Member

I see them recommended in cleaner crews all the time, but i also read so many not so good descriptions of their feeding habits and wouldn't stick one in any of my tanks. Not sure on the anemones, if your talking aptasia's, probably not, more because of murphy's law versus any real reason, featherdusters, i can see em eating those guys, but can't say from any experience.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/28/2007, 10:33 AM
Team RC Member

It eats fish as it gets bigger, it is difficult to catch, and it grows to the size of a dinner plate. No kidding. I've seen photos of the adults and they're imposing. Very appealing crab. But all crabs will eat what will fit in their claws.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

I had two of these at the same time, i found out that was not a good thing to do. Alls they did was fight all the time, i finally gave the smaller one to my brother. As for the one i kept it was a eating machine. It wouldnt really bother my fish ubt the anenomes is a different story. The more and mor the sally got familiar or comfortable in the tank he would bother the anenomes. I had a pink tip anenome that got a hold of him and killed it. final thoughts, great to have but watch out for them.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

I think I have one now and have had not problems thus far, but it's fairly small. I wasn't aware that they grew as big as a dinner plate, so I'll have to watch him and see what happens. I only say I think I have one because I actually purchased one and for a few days was able to watch him walking around the rock and so forth. But, for the last 4 or 5 days I have not seen him at all and can't seem to find him either! But, I also haven't found any parts of him, so I have no idea if he's still alive or not!!
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 12/28/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys for the input i think i will go and try to catch 2 small ones,and take my chances
Old 12/28/2007, 04:31 PM
Team RC Member

At least when they ARE the size of dinner plates, they're easier to catch.

Me mum once had a Maryland blue crab chase her down the wharf at waterside...I don't recommend those critters.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/28/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

i hear you sk8r i was thinking on just having feathers,anenomes,and crabs,and hermits and maybe 2 fish it looks alot better my friend has his tank like that.