Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/22/2006, 04:29 AM
Registered Member

Speaking of squids , Yum ink

I was talking to my importer of car parts from japan and kept hearing him munching on something , we get along good since ive met him and stayed at his place while I was visiting . ( He has a jelly fish tank which is beautiful ) ... Anyway I was pretty hungry and asked him to shove whatever he was eating in the crate too . He then said "You like squid ink pizza" , now I have heard of it , But I didnt think people actually ate it . Supposidly its pretty popular over there . Has anyone actually tried squid ink? if not wanna take a squirt in the mouth and report to me your findings? .... I dont know HOW that crap cant be harmful to you but supposidly its used in a wide variety of countries , from doughs ( bread , pasta ) to "pizza" , and just a normal sauce with the ink by itself.

mmmm
Old 08/22/2006, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

I haven't tried it, and dont plan too lol. But I also dont see how it could be harmless... Are you going to try it?
Old 08/23/2006, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

hahahaha no , The other day ( I tend to eat everything and force myself to like something ) I was like "k im ganna try this sushi thing again" so I get salmon and basically vomit in my napkin ( haha they give you cloth ones too ) ....

Anyway , someone needs to taste squid ink and tell me what happens .. I hope this doesnt get me in trouble , last time i got suspended cause i was trying to sell a blue ring octopus as "friendly and hand feeds well" I guess not all enjoy my immature humor .

What exactly is the "ink" composed of , how is it processed and made inside the squid ? Im just trying to find out how it isnt poison to us.
Old 08/23/2006, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

I am wondering the same. Ity doesn't look like ink, only the color. It basically just looks like black frosting!
Old 09/03/2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

squid ink pasta is very popular in italy
Old 09/09/2006, 07:06 PM
my member is registered.

it looks like a chocolate pizza with shrimp..... mmmmmm.... lol.
Old 09/12/2006, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

with chopped marmaicicshoni choni whatever cherries? hehe I tried the pasta the other day and it didnt taste any diff from normal pasta ( kinda tasted like that green pasta. ) Im still waiting on someone to take their mr squid out of the tank and have a taste .. hey it would be freash and probably taste "the best".

Wonder if it has a shelf life.
Old 09/12/2006, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

I was once watching the iron chef and saw one of the chefs make squid ink ice cream. the judges liked it, so i dunno
Old 09/13/2006, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

Ya but then again they make some gross crap the judges like .. Lobster brains and salmon livers . YUM!
Old 09/24/2006, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

squid in risotto here.

The cooked ink has an undescribable taste. The closest i cant get to is like a metal type taste (like blood), it has the slightest bit of bitterness yet is still sweet.

quite nice if you can stop thinking about the fact that its ink.
Old 10/07/2006, 05:08 PM
my member is registered.

Quote:
Originally posted by metalManiac
squid in risotto here.

The cooked ink has an undescribable taste. The closest i cant get to is like a metal type taste (like blood), it has the slightest bit of bitterness yet is still sweet.

quite nice if you can stop thinking about the fact that its ink.
I dont understand how a metallic taste can be considered delicous
Old 10/11/2006, 12:06 AM
...this is only a test...

Squid ink...

Squid ink is used in the culinary world for color and shock value...it is mainly flavorless however, adds a beautiful black color to almost everything. The pizza that was shown at the top of the page was probably topped with a squid ink bechamel. Bechamel is a thickened cream sauce which sometimes contains cheese. "shocking...isn't it?" Bechamel is also the base to a good homemade mac and cheese!!! Now who's hungry???
Old 10/12/2006, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JmLee
I dont understand how a metallic taste can be considered delicous
dont mock it till you tried it.

It is very hard to describe the taste. It is not exactly like metallic, but it kind of has that subtle bitter/metalicy feel to it.

BTW, its not flavorless.. trust me. I made black risotto (risotto with cuttlefish ink) and it tastes way different to risotto with no cuttlefish ink (but still cuttlefish flesh in it).
Old 10/15/2006, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

i had a squid ink dirty martini at a bar in nyc once...it tasted a little different than a regular one..a bit briny perhaps?...i think it was in my head, though, knowing well that there was squid ink in it...i had a friend taste it and she said it didn't taste any different than her grey goose dirty martini
Old 11/06/2006, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Squid ink is concentrated melanain, the same pigment that makes you get a tan and what albino peole lack the ability to produce.

Cool thing is it supposedly makes your stools go black.
Old 11/09/2006, 11:35 AM
Moved forward

Quote:
Originally posted by Feelers

Cool thing is it supposedly makes your stools go black.

Yes it does!

It's a delicacy and a natural food coloring in different cuisines. I've seen them in various culinary dishes from Italian risotto to Filipino Squid adobo and French sauces. It has a slight taste to it, but not overpowering as say, oregano. Used in a small amount, it's a very faint flavor, not metallic per say, but a little bittersweet. (It's very hard to describe) If you know of any Filipino restaurants (polynesian restaurants too), try the "adobong pusit" (squid adobo). It's quite good.

Home of the Little Brain that could