Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods

Old 10/20/2006, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

Roy, I have played with these in the wild and spent many roles of film without ever getting a picture of the quality that you did. Definitely not a trivial thing to do and that individual is magnificently colored.

~Steve~
Old 10/21/2006, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

that picture is amazing.
Old 10/23/2006, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

I definitely want to beat that very dead horse--what is going to happen to your family if you die from the sting of a BR octopus?
You know, your family loves you. Studying them in a professional laboratory setting is one thing--getting one for a home aquarium because they're "cool" is another story. And, what is going to happen to the BR octopus if you would get stung and die.
Old 10/29/2006, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

(oj simpson's voice) beating a dead horse
ok everyone just calm down, i think the guy gets the point geeeze
lets repeat BLUE RING BAAAAD
BIMAC GOOOD
Old 11/01/2006, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

(sorry to change the subject but i had to get it out.) love your gaboon viper hatebreed, you know they have 3-4 inch fangs when they are fully grown right?
Old 11/03/2006, 10:23 PM
I am Nano

Octopuses don't sting, they bite, they don't climb out all that often, and they don't ALWAYS inject venom into whatever they're biting.

All that said, if you like blue rings, maybe get either a dwarf octopus, or a larger species. Not only are they not venemous (well,as venemous as BR) they are probably MUCH more enjoyable. Some of the comments posted here are way out of line. Some people have extremely severe reactions to ANY octopus bite. it depends on wether or not you're allergic to the venom. For example, today, I got squirted right in the eye with about 4 polyps of zoanthids that I was fragging, and accidentally pinched them in a crack in the rock they were on. Nothing happened. No numbness, swelling, temporary blindness, etc.

I've always wanted a blue ring myself, but not until we have completely automated fish tanks that I don't have to stick my hands in ever.
Old 11/06/2006, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

I've heard that they are super boring in terms of a comparison to most other octos - I spose you could make a comparison between a black widow spider, they are very shy and have very powerful venom as a last resort.
Most of the people who have been bitten were idiots, one famous example was where a tourist placed one on his shoulder. While they look cool and it would be cool to have a "danger pet", I'd rather have one that didnt hide all the time and had a decent lifespan. I think the quoted life expectancy for one of these after you buy it in a store is 3 months.
Remember that for collection they tend to find older individuals who are perhaps settling down (ie nearing death) so not too wise an investment IMO.