Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 07/12/2005, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Babies!!

I had the neatest thing happen last night. I was looking at my tank with only the actinics on and I saw a peppermint shrimp do this really strange acrobatic thing. It looked like it had kicked up a bunch of silt off of the rocks. Then I looked closer and it had just released a TON of baby shrimp. Needless to say my clowns, tang, & filter feeders just went nuts. I'm not sure any of them made it but maybe because there were hundreds of them. I thought about trying to get a pictures but they were only about 1/16" long. You could just make out the GI tract and tail. It was really exciting and very neat to watch
Old 07/12/2005, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
The super glue doesn't effect the other animals in the tank? I know lots of people use it to hold the corals in place but you'd just think it would be toxic somehow.
Not toxic. It is used in some surgical applications and, if I'm remembering correctly, the original formulations were based on secreations of certain barnicles.
Old 07/12/2005, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Re: Babies!!

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
I had the neatest thing happen last night. I was looking at my tank with only the actinics on and I saw a peppermint shrimp do this really strange acrobatic thing. It looked like it had kicked up a bunch of silt off of the rocks. Then I looked closer and it had just released a TON of baby shrimp. Needless to say my clowns, tang, & filter feeders just went nuts. I'm not sure any of them made it but maybe because there were hundreds of them. I thought about trying to get a pictures but they were only about 1/16" long. You could just make out the GI tract and tail. It was really exciting and very neat to watch
Cool! I actually saw 3 peppermint shrimp in my tank last night. I was only suppose to get 2 but I could swear I remember putting in 4. One of them I thought had eggs too.
Old 07/12/2005, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Danielle, isn't that just the neatest thing? I caught mine releasing a number of months back. I was trying to figure out why my water was suddenly "dusty" when I realized some of the "dust" was wiggling.
Saddly, the big peppermint that seemed constantly pregnant went missing a couple of weeks back.
Old 07/12/2005, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

my experice thus far reveals that the hammer likes it low in a t-5 tank if opening up big is an indication

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
OK, I got the corals in so here are some pics.

Here is where I placed them at least for now. They are starting to open up some more since I took these pics.

Green Hammer

Purple Tipped Torch

Close-Ups

Old 07/12/2005, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnb
my experice thus far reveals that the hammer likes it low in a t-5 tank if opening up big is an indication
The hammer has opened up more since that pic so I think I am OK with it. The torch or the other hand I wonder if I should move it up or over. I think the lighting is OK that far down but I think it may be too much flow for it. I could swear that it was opened more at Dr. Mac's.
Old 07/12/2005, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

My corals came. I was doing the dip for the zoanthids, and holy crap...a pistol shrimp scurried out of the rock. There were also tons of amphipods, copepods and even a brittle star. Too bad the dip kills them!
Old 07/12/2005, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

I'm curious but I don't want to split the thread with answers. So post http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=628720
Which camera do you use?
Old 07/12/2005, 10:25 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

ID please

Hey all,

I finally got my elusive snail that I haven't been able to ID, here are a few pics:

And here it is NOT happy about being out of the water

Any ideas?

Brian
Old 07/12/2005, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Sorry Brian, but I have no idea. You didn't really think I would anyway now, did you?
Marianna...I use an Olympus Camera. The C-770.

Here are some preliminary pictures. I need for everything to open first for better shots:

and finally, some of the rash I got. It goes all the way down the arm.
Old 07/12/2005, 10:45 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Very nice looking Pat!! WHere did you get this?
Old 07/12/2005, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Looks great Pat! Can't wait to see them when they start to open up more. What do you think the rash is from? Weren't you wearing your gloves?

Scuba- I think this was an order from Sharky's Reef

Marianna- I use a Kodak DX4530
Old 07/12/2005, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Yes, I got them from Sharky's Reef.

Here is a free colony they sent...I'll probably give it to Bob since I'm trying to stay away from browns:

I'm not liking the way the tank looks. Too much of the same colors. I need to re-arrange things.
Here's more pictures with them open a little more:

Old 07/12/2005, 01:15 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Pat,

Great looking zoas! I have ones almost identical to your #5 picture in your last post and they really POP under my actinics!

Nice pictures!

Brian
Old 07/12/2005, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Yes, I got them from Sharky's Reef.

Are the zoas on the top left hand side of the picture from Sharkys as well? I really like those ones! Very cute shark too
Old 07/12/2005, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Brian.
FedEx wasn't too gentle with the box, but luckily everything is alive.

I just gave Bob the free colony, and one of the leathers and the GSP.
He's so happy now. A hammer or frogspawn would look awesome in his tank under his blue lights. Next order!

What I'd really like to get now is something I don't know the name of....but it's very large and looks like a huge mushroom leather type thing. I know Landon has it in his tank. I'll have to search around for a picture of it so I can get an ID. Capricornis possibly?
Old 07/12/2005, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
Are the zoas on the top left hand side of the picture from Sharkys as well? I really like those ones! Very cute shark too
No, those were from Chad at ReefScience. The rock is totally full with them.

I can't say I am disappointed in what I got today, but I'm not as excited as I was with the reefscience order. I think that's because with that order, I got the hammer and frogspawn and RBTA, and this was zoanthids and the 2 leathers. The zoanthids from today's order are more colorful than the reefscience order, but they're not as large so therefore, harder to see that I really added something to the tank unless you're close up to it. They don't stick out in the tank like the other order. But Sharky's service was tops. He emailed me right after I got the order to see if everything went well, and if I wasn't happy with something to let him know. I guess he keeps track of the signature for FedEx and emails customers when he sees the order was delivered.

So all in all, I have to say both vendors were great and I would order from both of them again in the future.
Old 07/12/2005, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
I know Landon has it in his tank. I'll have to search around for a picture of it so I can get an ID. Capricornis possibly?
if its what i think you are talking about its Montipora Capricornis.

my friend (that i posted pics of) has a bunch of them in his tank.
Old 07/12/2005, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
if its what i think you are talking about its Montipora Capricornis.
my friend (that i posted pics of) has a bunch of them in his tank.
Okay, how 'bout a full tank shot of your tank so I can see what I want next!
Old 07/12/2005, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

after seeing all these pictures im taking the camera home tonight ill see what i can do for you.
Old 07/12/2005, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Unhappy Fish delayed in shipping

Of course the first time I order a fish for the tank ( don't want to buy anything from the lfs ) and the plane has mechanical problems and is delayed a day. What do you think the chances are it'll still be alive? It's a small kole tang.
Old 07/12/2005, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Re: Fish delayed in shipping

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Of course the first time I order a fish for the tank ( don't want to buy anything from the lfs ) and the plane has mechanical problems and is delayed a day. What do you think the chances are it'll still be alive? It's a small kole tang.
Where did you order from? Most places will guarantee "arrive alive".
But that does stink it happened to you.
Old 07/12/2005, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

well i installed the hydor heads on my powerheads. they rotate and distribute the water well. better than a single port powerhead,but, i feel that the flow is restricted. ie. not as much flow as an unimpeaded ph. wish i could test it someway.
Old 07/12/2005, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

I ordered from Petsolutions and I think I'll be fine if the fish arrives dead. Just the hassle and we were looking forward to seeing some activity in the tank soon.
Old 07/12/2005, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=629152