Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods

Old 08/24/2007, 03:33 PM
PKSN

Roy's point about escape proof not being escape proof is a really, really good point. A blue ring is not the animal you want to test escapability with.
Old 08/29/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Opcn
Zoa's can't do a thing to you unless you are really stupid and do one of the big reef no-no's like reaching in to the tank with broken skin or touching your face/mouth/eating with out washing your hands.

Have to say, this comment really hit a nerve. I used to have a mixed reef, soft and sps, and I was NEVER EVER warned that zoanthids were toxic. I was happily fragging away at some montipora, and unbenownst to me, I sliced a hichhiking zoa in half on the bottom side of the monti. I wiped my hair out of my face with my arm, not thinking a thing of it. Somehow a trickle of moisture got down to the side of my mouth, and within a matter of minutes, my mouth and throat went numb, my heart rate started getting erratic, and I began having difficulty breathing. My throat and esophagus swelled up and I barely managed to dial 911. After several shots of epinephrine and a ambulance ride, they had to force a tube down my throat. I recovered, obviously, but it sucked. All the skin on the inside of my mouth and throat turned white and molted off, I couldn't eat for days, I lost more weight than healthy in a weeks time. The doctors were completely puzzled, they had no clue what caused such a massive allergic reaction. I threw away the frags I'd been working on when I got home and didn't think about it until a few weeks later when I read the zoa's killed my dog thread. Then I went to the lfs and asked about it, thinking it had to be a joke. They said oh yeah, palyotoxin, it's nothing to worry about, just don't eat your coral.

So go ahead and point fingers and talk about how only stupidity can get people hurt. To this day, my sensitivity to coral is so strong that even normally innocuous things like plate corals and mushrooms can make my arm tingle and swell. I have a fear of zoanthids so strong now that just looking at them makes me sick to stomach. I research every fish and coral that goes into my tank now to the point of obsession.

DON'T TRUST THE LFS TO DISCLOSE ALL HAZARDS.

STUPIDITY IS NOT THE ONLY THING THAT CAN HURT YOU.

just my 02 cents worth.
Old 09/11/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Robert Fenner who is a noted Author on marine life, Marine Biologist, Diver and
who has been involved in the Aquarium industry and adviser to many Public
Aquariums for over 35 years... has said over and over again how these Blue Rings
need to be Boycott..

From the research he has done...and studying incidents that have happened. He
said if you get poisoned by a blue ring...most likely you will be dead in about 5 to
10 mins. The blue-ringed octopus is the size of a golf ball, but its venom is powerful
enough to kill humans. There is no known antidote.

The octopus produces venom that contains tetrodotoxin, 5-hydroxytryptamine,
hyaluronidase, tyramine, histamine, tryptamine, octopamine, taurine,
acetylcholine, and dopamine. The major neurotoxin component of blue-ringed
octopus venom was originally known as maculotoxin, but was later found to be
identical to tetrodotoxin, a neurotoxin which is also found in pufferfish and cone
snails. Tetrodotoxin blocks sodium channels, causing motor paralysis and
sometimes respiratory arrest leading to cardiac arrest due to a lack of oxygen. The
toxin is created by bacteria in the salivary glands of the octopus...

Surely not enough time for the ambulance to even get to you. I dont know who
would ever want to keep a species so dangerous...Leave it in the Ocean...
Old 09/11/2007, 07:33 PM
PKSN

Sadly, boycotts don't do much is a supply driven market.

And, again, there has not been one confirmed death in captivity due to blue rings. That doesn't mean anyone should run out and buy one, it's just that there is so much misinformation in the hobby, and even more relating to cephs, so its nice to clear things up.
Old 09/11/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

People want it because its challenging, and exotic. More people are killed in the ocean by sharks every year, so if you want to look at it that way, why swim in the ocean? On top of that, why drive a car? Your chances of dieing in a car crash are much higher. Don't leave it in the ocean, leave it to the very experienced hobbyists and research teams. Buy at your own risk, its not like people dont know what they're buying.
Old 09/11/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Jambi.. You comments are disturbing and outright stupid.

From Jambi:Buy at your own risk, its not like people dont know what they're
buying.

This is exactly the Problem!!

First off a Marine Biologist / Research team is completely different from a
hobbyist!!! Marine Biologists spend years and years in school and do alot of
research on what they are doing and know how to handle dangerous animals.
Unfortunately too many hobbiest dont... Yes some do take the time...like alot of
the people on RC.. who want to learn and share ideas..But face it there are too
many people out there in this hobby that have the "Hey that looks cool..lets buy
it!" attitude without researching what they are getting, how to handle it and
take care of it...

Also I love how the "people get killed in car accidents and by sharks" thing always
gets brought up on these types of subjects... Im sorry but those are very poor
analogies on why people should boycott such a dangerous animal for home
aquariums.

Ok, so you are saying that because people get killed in car accidents...we should
keep dangerous animals in our home?...animals that should be left in the Ocean!
Not every marine animal was meant for a home aquarium..

Also your Shark comment is bunch of BS.. I scuba dive and that is clearly not
true...Yes some people have been killed by sharks, buts it not the way you make it
sound.

Last edited by nynex; 09/12/2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09/12/2007, 12:18 AM
PKSN

Quote:
Originally posted by nynex
Also I love how the "people get killed in car accidents and by sharks" thing always
gets brought up on these types of subjects... Im sorry but those are very poor
analogies on why people should boycott such a dangerous animal for home
aquariums.
Those analogies get brought up because one of implicit ideas in these types of subjects is that death is imminent for those who keep these animals - which is just not true. There are good reasons most people should avoid these animals, however, with knowledge and precautions, keeping them can be just as dangerous/safe as diving in a shark cage.

Quote:
Also your Shark comment is bunch of BS.. I scuba dive and that is clearly not
true...Yes some people have been killed by sharks, buts it not the way you make it
sound.
Isn't that the same way you are making keeping blue rings sound?