Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

calling all tek t5HO users.

please help me make a decision correctly by answer the following questions ( I need new light and want a light that will be good for now and future).

1. how hot does the unit gets?

2. acrylic shield since the endcap is not waterproof - yes or no

3. is the fixture worth for the price.

Thanks for helping out. see ya.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

I have the TekLight 8x48" T5 fixture mounted with L-brackets in my canopy, over a mixed softie/LPS reef (48"x24"x24"). This is a nice fixture and is worth the price IMO. This actually ended up being cheaper than the equivalent retrofit setup, and oh-so-nice to be a single unit.

It does get hot, I had to install a fan. I don't know what sort of measure you are looking for here. I got the large IceCap water-resistant canopy fan and this stabilizes the temperature nicely.

I am using the acrylic shield because I'm running the tank "topless" under the lights. I get a fair amount of salt accumulation on the acrylic that would otherwise be on the lamps. For me I consider it essential. It would be less so if the lamps were higher; for me, being a few inches over the water, I wouldn't think of not having the shield.

Hope this helps!
Dan
Old 01/06/2008, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

I'm a little surprised about the heat you mentioned. I'm looking at a 6x36 unit or my alternative is an outer orbit 2x150w with 4 T5s.

I'm a little concerned with cost and heat for the MH's but I really am having trouble getting past the shimmer look of MH's. If you think the Tek light is hot also, then that might change my mind.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

i just sold my 6 x 54 unit, and i had the buyer place his hand on top of hte lights after being on for 7 hrs and it was cool as can be. So i'm a bit surprised you say it was hot
Old 01/06/2008, 04:10 AM
Reef Ready

I only have a 4 bulb Tek, but it isn't hot unless you're talking about touching the bulbs/reflectors. I like my Tek, but I wish I had more bulbs, so I may be upgrading once the funds are available.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

maybe the acrylic shield is trapping the heat in DanInSD unit.
etrigo29- did you have the acrylic shield on your unit at that time?
Old 01/06/2008, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

no i didn't, I had glass tops on my tank. I figured since I had anthias that it served dual purposes of protecting the lights and making sure the anthias didn't jump
Old 01/06/2008, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

My temp problems happened before I had the shield -- I had to special order it.

I'm not sure where you guys are coming from when you say that T5s don't put out any heat. Mine are quite hot -- I wouldn't want to try to change a bulb with them on. This goes for all the T5s I have ever used. With a fan they are great, but they *do* put out heat, just like PCs.

As for concrete numbers, I have a 4x39w unit over a 30 gallon tank. This fixture comes with a little 1.5" fan for ventilation. The output air from this fan, measured with an instant-read digital thermometer, is about 110 degrees. On my Tek unit (8x54w) with four of the lights on, the air coming out of the 4" circulation fan is about 80 degrees, or about three degrees above the tank temp -- and the fan moves a fair amount of air.

Dan
Old 01/06/2008, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

I never said it didn't put out any heat. In addition the original question was about the unit and not the bulbs themselves being hot or not.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

well so i guess there are pros and cons with the tek fixture. I will take time and think about it. I might go with the new nova extreme pro but we'll see. thanks for all the input.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

I think hot is relative, the with T5 you can touch the bulbs or reflector and it will feel hot but it is not going to give you a burn. If you touch a MH bulb or glass cover or even the fixture you will most likely have some flesh seared. The Tek would be the hot tub and MH a pot of boiling oil.