Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2006, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Triggerfish Whitespot or Sand ?

I have a Male Blue throat Trigger that has been in the tank for 2 weeks, and is settling in. Feeds voraciously, and is getting along with the Female Bluethroat. Every day late at night the fish appears to have specled all over, either sand or ICH. It doesn't seem to glow under actinics, so I think it is sand. AS Triggers have di fferent texture and composition of their scales, are they still liable to ICH. Can anyone throw any light on this please. I have 2 Tunze 600;s in the tank so there is always sand in suspension.
Old 11/03/2006, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

i would tend to say its ich.....triggers dont usually get sand stuck to them like puffers do for instance. Are the spots raised or even with the scales? Yes triggers are still very likely to come down with ich. They tend to be fairly hardy and usually dont have trouble getting over it. Either Qt ( best option ) or treat the tank. Triggers respond well to copper ( cupramine is best ), hypo and other treatments currently available.
Old 11/03/2006, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

The spots seem to be level with the scales. I have been puttig Garlic Extreme in the water and switching the skimmer off, and putting 2 drops in with the frozen food. The spots are gone by the morning, and only reappear in the evening.
Old 11/03/2006, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

So do they reappear every night?? Or evey couple of days? If its every night I dont see how it can be ich. Is te fish showing any other signs of disease ( scratching, breathing hard, cloudy eyes )??
Old 11/03/2006, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

For the past 3 nights hes been like that. He eats well, and the eyes are clear and the colouring is good. The fish is always moving about the tank, and has a quick turn of speed. I had an outbreak of ICH 2 years ago when the tank was 6 months old, and it doesn't have the irredescent glow that the fish had on them before under the actinics. The spots have a matt finish, similar to my aragonite sand.
Old 11/03/2006, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Sorry. No breathing problems and definitely no scratching either.
Old 11/04/2006, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

weird, I dont think its sand, could be wrong though. You say theres no scratching or other signs of ich......beats me! Keep us updated.
Old 11/08/2006, 03:05 AM
Registered Member

pics (if they are in focus and high res enough) might help but sounds like probably not ick. I would still be wary and I have to ask...what was your QT procedure when you got this fish?

IF you use copper please use the test kit from the copper dosing brand. Measure often and best do so in QT while you let the display go fallow for 6 weeks.

Hope this helps....

PS you could also try some RxP supplement/treatment and see what happens. Shouldn't have any adverse effects and is display safe. (certainly safer than copper)

Also, what substrate are you using? Oolitic aragonite? Mix of stuff? Most aragonite substrates settle in a couple days max and don't uber dust even with agitation. Thus its harder to think that the fish constantly has sand stuck in the slime coat.

Let us know....
Old 11/08/2006, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

I know what you mean Portsmouth Reef. I have seen sand on my fish before and freaked out. Now I can tell the difference. The sand has more of a dusty appearance then ich. Not to be confused with velvet that also looks dusty but I think you would know if is velvet. Your fish would be showing other signs.

The fish that I see it on sometimes are ones that go in and out of holes and the ones that sift the the sand. The sand is not constantly stuck. It falls off.