Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/08/2007, 07:48 AM
Nano Reefer

New Product? Current USA's Subcurrent

Was browsing around the net this morning and came across this:

http://www.current-usa.com/subcurrent.html

Looks to be a sleek little unit for anybody with small glass aquariums. I wonder what the potential would be to add bigger pumps and make that a sole filtration /flow system for a 5.5 or 10g system?

Has anyone used the product yet? I'm considering getting one for a 10g QT tank I'll most likely be setting up.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:20 AM
------------

That seems like a pretty useful product actually.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

It does look nice. thanks for sharing your find. do you know where the sell them b/c i thnk i might get one for my lil sisters tank i am getting her for x-mas.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:29 PM
Nano Reefer

i originally saw it on nanotuners.com i believe.. $30
Old 11/09/2007, 05:58 PM
Genuine reef addict

Foster & Smith have them too. No reviews yet that I can find.
Old 11/09/2007, 08:04 PM
RC Mod

I did pretty much the same thing. Had a custom internal overflow built and that alone cost $30. That doesn't include the powerhead or plumbing.

I can attest to the fact that the "oil" (protein) slick is eliminated. It also looks cleaner than having a powerhead in the tank.

My 5.5 setup also has a powerhead moving about 150 gph and it's adequate for a 5.5 but hardly enough flow for a 10 gallon imo. Do they mention what powerhead they use and can it be upgraded ?

Also I'd be questioning using the suction cups. Looks like some kind of bracket could easily be retrofitted to that unit though.

Old 11/09/2007, 09:58 PM
A.K.A. colinadam

Great info, I just ordered one.
This comes in handy if you make your back chambers into a fuge or have a skimmer back there, you can still have room for Purigen and Chemi-Pure (What I'll be using it for).

It will be interesting to see how the inside is designed.
Old 11/15/2007, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

""Efficiently skimming the aquarium water surface, the SubCurrent not only removes organic film but improves water movement and increases vital dissolved oxygen levels. Unlike traditional power filters, the SubCurrent removes dirt and dissolved organics from the surface of the water - eliminating those unsightly oil slicks.""

you can eliminate that "film" useing an air stone or power head. notice that it uses the word "skimming" and we assume we wont need a protein skimmer. it might remove that film, but the organics are still in the water.
Old 11/15/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

I think that as long as it is removing the slick off of the surface, it is removing "some" of the proteins from the water column. Not as efficient as a regular skimmer, but skimming none the less.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

I ordered one for my 5.5 gal tank. It should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it works, I have been looking for something for that tank.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:25 AM
Nano Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by SugarFox03
I ordered one for my 5.5 gal tank. It should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it works, I have been looking for something for that tank.
Let us know how it works out for you. I'm curious how well its designed/funcions...
Old 11/16/2007, 01:56 PM
w3rd

did you get it yet?
Old 11/16/2007, 02:42 PM
Moved On

Why do they all continue to deluge us with bioballs?

Other than that, it's kinda cool. But it would probably stick out like a sore thumb in my aquarium
Old 11/16/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Got it! I really like it! I kept the bioballs in there. If I have problems I'll remove them later on (it's pretty easy.) Very simple to set up and install in the tank. I couldn't use the Y attachment, as it wouldn't fit in the tank along with the rocks, so I just used one of the nozzles. As soon as everything settles in the tank I'll get some pictures. May not be tonight, but definately by tomorrow.

The slick is already gone from the surface of the water...I wish I took some "before" pictures!
Old 11/17/2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

i was also considering one of these for my 30 breeder. i was trying to find something i could run carbon/purigen/phosban in. i had originally thought about getting a HOT Magnum to run this media periodically and also for micron filtering during water changes and whatnot. i like the way this unit looks better, plus it has a nice loc-line-ish "Y" return that will be good for extra water movement.

cant wait for pics
Old 11/17/2007, 09:56 AM
Nano Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by mikellini
Why do they all continue to deluge us with bioballs?

Other than that, it's kinda cool. But it would probably stick out like a sore thumb in my aquarium
Probably for people with Fish-only style aquariums. Sadly there are still a good population of people that don't use live rock, and bioballs work better for biological filtration than nothing, thats for sure.
Old 11/17/2007, 10:12 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

anyone have pics of the internals? curious as too how much carbon/etc you could fit in there...
Old 12/13/2007, 10:36 AM
RC Mod

Any updates from those who got one of these ?
Old 12/16/2007, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

Thanks.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

I have one and it works well for removing surface scum and for running carbon and stuff. You will need an auto top off since it is suctioned to the glass and doesnt float. Once the water level drops the pump out paces the flow into the unit and it starts sucking air, and blowing bubbles.