Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/27/2006, 01:25 PM
metalheadreefnerd

Boyds chemi-clean?

Anyone have any luck using this stuff to get rid of red cynao? I just tried my first dose, and im really hoping it works.
Old 01/27/2006, 01:29 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

I have heard of several reefers, even a local one here in my club, that have lost most of their livestock using it.

I would not.
Old 01/27/2006, 01:30 PM
Registered my member

It worked for me. But it will come back after awhile if nutrients aren't reduced. I usually use a little under the reccommended dose and don't forget to do the water changes that the instructions say to do.
No damage to any livestock and I have everything from fish, to sponges, to urchins in my tank.
Old 01/27/2006, 01:33 PM
metalheadreefnerd

My problem was overfeeding, i was feeding waay way to heavy when i first got the tank going. I have cut back on feeding to a cpl times a week and have been doing water changes weekly.
Just checked my water parameters and all are great.

SeanT, that makes me nervous, i wonder if they didt have proper aeration. It says in bold letters that this is very important.

www.greateriowareefsociety.org
Old 01/27/2006, 01:44 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Yeah it would make me nervous too.
Here is the post from one of my club members:
Quote:
I forgot!!!! I hae a 125 AGA with a 55 gal sump that is filled with about 35 gal. of water. I want to do a water change but I just want to know how much would be to much. I had cyano outbreak and i treated my tank with cemi-clean and my whole tank went south with about 65% of coral death, the cyano still there and i dont want to add chemi-clean again so i want to know if doing water change will help. im running carbon and i added 4 MJ1200s. What else?

I have used it in the past with great results and i used the same amount I have always used. I used 7 spoons (the little spoon that comes with it) i dosed 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon, the next morning I woke up to a white tank with all SPS bleached, all my softies, zoos and LPS closed and on the brink of diying, so I did a 40 gal water change and the cyano is still there.
Old 01/27/2006, 01:51 PM
metalheadreefnerd

Yeah thats scary....i sure will be ****ed if i lose everything. I wasnt gonna use it all, but the red cyano is driving me crazy and im tired of sucking it out everyday. I guess only time will tell....

Old 01/27/2006, 01:59 PM
Member of SEA-T

i have used chemi-clean myself. i didnt even loose a snail. i have read the post SeanT quoted from, and i dont know what that guy did. make sure your skimmer is off for 48hrs like the instructions say. then do a water change once the 48hrs is up. it works but like mentioned its a temp. fix. if you dont have the nitrates, and phosphates down it will come right back.
Old 01/27/2006, 03:55 PM
metalheadreefnerd

Paintbug, glad to hear, thanks for putting my mind at ease.