Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 12/30/2005, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

porcupine puffer

i recently got a porcupine puffer and have a question about him. He spends the whole day sitting behind my powerhead or he tries to go behind the heater. But at night he swims all around the tank. Is it normal for these guys to do this during the day or is it part of acclimation and he'll drop the habit eventually?
Old 12/30/2005, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

We have had a Porkey for 18 months now (belongs to my youngest daughter (you know, like "dad I want a dog" and the dog belongs her???)). Anyways, these guys are nutty. Some come with real personality.

That said, our guy never hid much. We feed him raw shrimp (just like people eat). We get it frozen in 1lb or 2lb bags form the grocer, whatever is on sale, and he gets 3 each time we feed him. Here is what I can say about him.

He is not shy about feeding time.

He sleeps during the day and thus is more active at night.

If you keep the lid open and he wants food, and he just about always does, he will spit out the tank. kids love that, water everywhere and on everyone.

Once they figure out who food, they beg constantly (ooh what cute big eyes..., you hungry...).

He used to puff up when startled when he was new to the tank but not anymore, guess he feels at least a little safe anyway.

If you forget and don't feed him for a couple of days, he will make a meal of his tank buddies like shrimp smaller fish.

they do bite and can bit off your finger so don't let kids play in their house. Little fingers have a habit of getting into water so keep the lid closed. Also, be careful if you service the tank and have to put your hands in to do it.

If he is eating then I 'd say don't worry.

good luck, Kevin
Old 12/30/2005, 09:26 PM
CDMAS

Is he feeding okay? what do you feed yourf porc?

Hows your water conditions? Tank cycled?

My Porc. is 6" in length. They tend to be more active during evening hrs or lights out unless during feedings.

Mine also will sometimes sleep during the day on a piece of LR

Mine also eats fresh shrimp, fresh openned clams eaten from the shell, frozen blood worms-picks apart cubes and also likes leaf and romaine lettuce.

Mines does not like color bits/granulets..

Also have to watch for Ich. Porc's are known for it.