Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 09/15/2005, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Longnose Butterfly

Hey guys,
I have a 75 Gallon reef and im looking to add a longnose butterfly as they are one of my favorite fish. i have heard many different oppinions on whether these guys are reef safe.

this is a list of livestock currently in my tank.

- pair of ocelaris clowns
- flame angel
- banggii cardinal
- pair of orchid dottybacks

- cleaner shrimp
- squasmosa clam
- maxima clam
- bubble coral
- range of zoos
- hammer coral
- cataphilia
- varied mushrooms
- fungie
- favites

so i guys my question is what are my chance of keep a longnose Butterfly in my system without causing the original livestock stress, and is there anything i can do also help the longnose not harm anything!

cheers guys
Old 09/16/2005, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Anyone?
Old 09/16/2005, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

I believe most of the butterfly fish aren't reef safe. If I remember correctly the long nose butterfly is one of the worst ones out there besides the racoon butterfly. I may be wrong though.
Old 09/17/2005, 04:07 AM
Registered Member

Actually, it's the opposite. It's one of the closest "reef-safe" butterflies there are. Closer to the copperband and the pyramid butterfly in terms of being reef-safe.

With that being said, it is still not very reef-safe. Your odds are getting one that doesn't initially pick at corals or clam mantles is probably 50% and the chance that it will always be reef safe is probably maybe a 1 in ten chance. If kept well fed, they can behave, but there are more stories of them either going all out on a clam or specific coral or at least constantly nipping. In a tank this size, I wouldn't try it unless you are willing to potentially lose some of your corals or clams.

Just my $.02 I love this fish as well and wanted to keep one in a reef tank someday, but eventually let the idea go.
Old 09/17/2005, 05:49 AM
Registered Member

cheers 4 the response guys, if that is the concensus then i think i will not worries about getting one of these guys.

thanks
Old 09/17/2005, 04:53 PM
FishBoi

Aidos,

I have just purchased a mertensii butterfly (chaetodon mertensii) for my 55g semi-reef. So far he has been a very good citizen in terms of nipping corals etc. if he keeps going like this he will soon be in my 110g reef. Very nice fish, i highly recomend one.

mike
Old 09/17/2005, 10:30 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

What kind of coral do they usually nip at?