Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 09/14/2005, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Ideas for new fish in 90

Right now my 90g has a Hippo Tang, Smith's Blenny, and pair of Pink skunk clowns. I would prefer to have a small group of fish that are , small, interesting to watch, and interact with eachother. Any ideas?

Thanks,
DAnny
Old 09/15/2005, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

I'd say a couple of Jawfish but they usually have a tougher time adjusting if they aren't the first fish in the tank, or at least the most aggressive fish at the time. The Tang (and maybe the clowns) would probably freak a new Jawfish out. Aside from that, I think they fit your description snugly: They are very interesting in their habits, they are gregarious and watching a group together is pretty entertaining, but I would consider them a small to medium fish (the Yellowhead can get up to about 4" I think), so they may be bigger than you are looking for (I consider a "small" fish to be one that is 3" or less). You also need a suitable substrate for them (There is a feature article about them on the Reefkeeping.com website, "Let's Jaw about Jawfish" or something like that).

Most of the fish in this hobby can't be kept in groups, at least not with conspecifics. The few exceptions I'm aware of are: Jawfish & Chromis. If you have some skill and/or knowledge of how to mix them: Cardinals, Royal Grammas (at least in Europe, lol), Anthias and Fairy Wrasses. I know there are others, I'm just giving you some options off the top of my head. Note that some of these probably won't work in the 90 gal., such as Anthias.

I almost forgot to mention: If you do go with Jawfish, make sure you enclose the top of the tank, at least until such time that you feel they are completely settled in. They are known for being jumpers during the transition phase, as they have not had time to construct their burrows.
Old 09/15/2005, 01:17 PM
Registered Member.

get either anthias or green chromis they are both schooling fish and very nice to watch also you can get a male/female wrasse of any kind
male/female lineatus wrasses are beautiful alot of activity and will interact with the tank.

there are a few options

you can do cardinal fish also

i mean there are a few options just a matter of trying to figure out what you do and dont want.

you can even do a harem of 3 pygme angles 1 male and 2 female
Old 09/15/2005, 06:18 PM
FishBoi

you will need to find that tang a bigger home sometime in the future.

As for fish, what about a small group of gobies?

mike
Old 09/15/2005, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Grimmreefer and Keefsama,

I don't have a sandbed though, so the Jawfish are out. I had a pack of 4 longfin fairy wrasses a couple years ago, they were fine for a year, but one started taking over, now he is the only fish left. They were really fun to watch, but I don't want to try it again. Grammas sound interesting in a group but it doesn't sound too good in a 90. MH lighting so Anthias are out. I've been thinking about green chromis a lot, but I hear a lot of bad long-term success stories mixed with good ones, so I am pretty skeptical about them. Angels are a little too sketchy for me, and mixing them sounds rough.

Perky, I did research when I bought the tang, I saw a lot of them living a long time in 48" tanks. I have had this one for about 3.5 years and it is healthy. I would like to hear more about gobies. Anyone keep groups of gobies, if so what kinds? I like Ptereleotris zebra (zebra dart goby, or bar goby) Think a small school 5ish would be okay? My tang is pretty mellow.

thanks,
Danny
Old 09/15/2005, 08:26 PM
FishBoi

i used to have a school of zebra gobies. they look really good in a school. not shy at all. i would recomend them. that species of tang grows fairly large so i would recomend that you get a bigger tank or get rid of the tang imo.

mike
Old 09/15/2005, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

How many did you have? What other fish did you have with them? Do you think they need sand? And can we please focus on the other fish and not the tang, the argument could go on for ever.

thanks,
Danny
Old 09/16/2005, 02:36 PM
FishBoi

i had 5 or 6 in my 110g. i could of had more. they look so cool.

you should get some.

mike
Old 09/16/2005, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

i would do a harem of fairy wrasses