Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Old 06/02/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

3 Different Algae Id's please

Thanks for any help!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Its the red stick like looking things they are hard to the touch, and under halides it was a huge mass and the arms criss crossed over eachother, under pc it doesnt grow very well.
Old 06/02/2007, 09:04 PM
Here's lookin at you

The first 2 pics are Codium, 3rd pic is likely to be Porphyra, and 4th pic not sure maybe Scinaia.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 06/03/2007, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

the first two ids seem dead on but the third I have also had that kind before but this one i have now is not the same its really hard to the touch and its like individual hallow stems. I think it might be calcerous though im not sure. Are most hard algaes calcium based?
Old 06/03/2007, 11:39 AM
Here's lookin at you

Not sure about hard being a rule that the algae is calcearous. Codium BTW is a calcearous algae. I've got one very similar to the last one pictured, and so far no positive id. I call it red branching, maybe scinaia. Close enough. There are alot of very similar reds which can be very difficult to distinguish from one another.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 06/08/2007, 02:51 AM
Premium Member

I'm also curious as to what these two are called and they look sort of similar to your dilemma. Both seem to be calcareous. I think the second is a type of Dictyota. I've no idea what the first one is. It is very small and wire-like. I know the brown alga in the first is the beginning of sargassum. The fourth one of yours, does it look like this...

or this...

?

I also have some codium, and it is awesome. Mine has started to grow holdfasts--at least I think so, it's bound to the rock now--and a part of the original piece you see I broke off. I put it in a different area in my tank and it is growing as well! Happy, happy, joy, joy! Down with caulerpa (BORING), up with calcareous algaes!

Hope that helps some.

Last edited by WarEagleNR88; 06/08/2007 at 03:00 AM.