Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/14/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

$%*&(* ETSS Skimmer

Ok,

So I got this ETSS ReefDevil for a steal.

It came with a Rio3100 pump, which seems to be adequate for this unit. It may even be too much, but I will get to that.

Problem is this, I have a 20G sump, and I set the skimmer in the middle of the sump, and dropped the pump in.

Turned it on, and voila, instant milk in the chamber. Looking like this is going to be the deal of the century.

Anyway, I let it run for 30 minutes or so to see where it would idle out, and turns out the gate was open too much, so i cranked it closed a turn or so and the column rose.
I raised the bubble column to just below the collection cup and let it run. Well, it ran and ran and after about an hour, it started to bubble some grayish looking skimmate over the top of the collection cup, so I thought all was well. It wasn't the swamp water i am used to seeing in other photos, but it looks like it's working.

Anyway, after another 30 minutes i checked it and found the skimmate cup full of water, and overflowing. So I opened the gate valve wide open, lowered the bubble column and removed and emptied the cup. It was clear saltwater.

I went through this two more times and still couldn't get it to run consistently.

So, I read and read and found some articles on placement of the skimmer in the sump, and thought maybe since my skimmer was sitting on the bottom, that there maybe was some backpressure or something on the gate valve causing this issue.

So, I set a tupperware bowl upside down in my sump, and set the skimmer on top of it to raise it up about 5 ". So, the drain is still underwater, but only an inch and a half or so.

Well, several tests later and same issue. I can't seem to get it tuned to the sweet spot where it will just skim.

Any recommendations ? It's the standard reef devil skimmer, with a RIO 3100. Could this pump be too much ? Do I need to maybe back down to a powerhead or something ?

Thanks,

BD
Reef Devil Skimmer
Old 05/14/2007, 11:01 AM
Flowalicious

First, get the return out of the water. Sit it so its totally out of the sump. No backpressure.

Second, set it below where you think its going to skim, and then leave it alone. If its overflowing, you still have it set way too high. They generally take a couple hours to figure themselves out after being adjusted.
Old 05/14/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Ok,

Thanks for the reply. I will see how high I can raise it out of the water and still being able to get the cup out when I need to empty it.

I have about 28" height inside my stand. It take 4" to pull out the cup, so that means I can only raise the skimmer about 4" out of my sump. (the skimmer is about 20" tall.)

Push comes to shove I may end up plumbing it for external use.
Reef Devil Skimmer
Old 05/14/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Reef Devil will overskim on and off until it breaks in. About 2 weeks before mine was settled in enough that the gate valve position could be left alone. It's just a pain in the butt until it is broken in. Nearly all skimmers go through a break in to one degree or another.
Overnight on the first or 2nd night mine overskimmed over 2 gallons. It just needs to break in and then it is pretty much set and forget. Just be patient and keep and eye on it. You are actually better running the water level quite a bit lower than normal for the first few days so when it does go nuts it won't overskim as bad. Make sure you set the water level so it is below the neck, down into the main body. Not the bubble level, the water level.
Old 05/14/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

reef devil

rio 310 is too much for that skimmer.
rio 3100 = 1000gph
mag 7 =700
Old 05/14/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

BTW, mine was run out of sump but the above still applies. Also, I was running it on a Blue Line 30HD and it would have been a little better with a 40HD. Both pressure rated pumps, the 30 is 600 GPH while the 40 is 800 GPH. Either way, it will tend to overskim during break-in.
Old 05/14/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Ok,

Well, I hate like hell to swap out the 3100, since it's a decent enough pump for the money. It's beat to hell but working.

You mention adjusting the water level in the skimmer "Tank", that's simply done by opening the gate wider. As far as I know thats the only adjustment.

So, are you saying I need to run it a few days with no bubble column and then gradually dial it up to raise the water level ?

Also, what is the elbow on the downdraft for ? Is that a vent or something ?
Reef Devil Skimmer
Old 05/14/2007, 02:28 PM
Rubberman

IMO the water level in the skimmer needs to be at the area where the riser meets the mixing box to skim consistant. What the means is a lot of skimmate gunk will be collected below the point where you can remove it for cleaning. For cleaning you have to either wipe it down the best you can or remove it from the sump and hose it out. I've run one on and off for years and it's far from perfect for sure.

Most successful time was sitting on the top rim of a 100g BTA tank with a mag 9 sitting in the tank hung for the input tube. Since the water needs to enter the downdraft chamber through the pinched off line you ned a biiger pump than you'd think or it needs to be pressure rated. Powerhead style pumps don't deal with that head pressure from the nozzle very well.

SteveU
Old 05/14/2007, 03:01 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by gtrestoration
IMO the water level in the skimmer needs to be at the area where the riser meets the mixing box to skim consistant. What the means is a lot of skimmate gunk will be collected below the point where you can remove it for cleaning. For cleaning you have to either wipe it down the best you can or remove it from the sump and hose it out. I've run one on and off for years and it's far from perfect for sure.

Most successful time was sitting on the top rim of a 100g BTA tank with a mag 9 sitting in the tank hung for the input tube. Since the water needs to enter the downdraft chamber through the pinched off line you ned a biiger pump than you'd think or it needs to be pressure rated. Powerhead style pumps don't deal with that head pressure from the nozzle very well.

SteveU
Very very true-It shows that u have experince with DD. I've been using them for years and its true far from perfect but at the same time once dialed in they need minimal tinkering unlike NW's
I currently run and 800 external and dont remeber last time I adjusted it, still getting consistent skimming.
Old 05/14/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

I agree 100%. My suggestion, to keep overskimming to a minimum while breaking in, was to lower the water level more than usual in the mixer box. Didn't mean to cloud the issue, sorry.
Old 05/14/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Is it the latest model reef devil? Either way start with the water 1 " above the bottom of the tower(wear the tower meets the mixing box . If you can do this or at least get it close to this level the pump is not to big. Let it run this way for at least 24 hrs with out adjusting. ETSS skimmers run better with biger pumps. It's possible it's to big but I highly dought it. Hang in there until you get it right, these are good skimmers.
Old 05/14/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Ok thanks this is good info.

I have it currently set where the foam is barely rising out of the mixing box and bubbling into the clear vertical tube.

Will leave it overnight and see what happens.

As for the pump, its a rio 3100 with a broken fin on the impeller.

Doubt its putting out more than 700gph to 800gph....
Reef Devil Skimmer
Old 05/14/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

If it has the outlet on the cup so you can hook up to an external foam collector, use it and provide a bucket for it to drain into overnight. Like I said, on the first or second night, mine overskimmed 2+ gallons. Overskimmed a gallon on a couple of other occassions. Once it is broken in, it is set and forget.
Old 05/14/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

it doesn't but since i bought it used and the collection cup is cracked, i ordered one from the manuf. with the acrylic cup and the drain hose.

So all in I am about $60 in this skimmer, incl. pump.
Reef Devil Skimmer
Old 05/14/2007, 08:51 PM
Boomer gave me this

I ran two ets devils on my 180, they were sitting out of the sump with the return's above water level. The returns had gate valves on them and you have a really slight amount of room to adjust, don't move the gate valve too much it is sensitive. I also had rio 3100's on them they worked great, you just need them above water and slowly adjust them.
Old 05/14/2007, 11:54 PM
Fantasy Coral

OT : reefkoi.........................dude you're avatar is just sooooooooooooooooooo wrong...................
Old 05/15/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Yes, that is WRONG.

How did you get that picture of my girl ?

LMAO.

Anyway, I woke up this morning and after no adjustment at all, the skimmer was oflowing.

I opened the gate valve even more, and adjusted it back down into the mixing tank.

I am going by HD tonight to pick up some eggcrate to make a sturdy stand for it to elevate it out of the water, I think I can "almost" get the drain totally out of the water.
Reef Devil Skimmer