Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/16/2005, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

More than one species of clownfish

I have a 180 gallon tank and currently have one false percula. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep more than one species of clowns in a tank of this size. I want to get another false percula to pair up with the one I have and also get a mated pair of skunk clowns.

Is this possible or to much risk?
Old 09/17/2005, 04:15 AM
Registered Member

I had a pair of GSM and pair of Skunk clowns for over a year before I had an Ich attack in my 50g. I figured these clowns are pretty different in appearance and they would be okay.
Old 09/17/2005, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

I have a pr of each of the clowns you are talking about. First in pairing up the false I have done that my self the only thing I can tell you is to make sure the one you buy is very small so there is no chance it could have turned into a female all ready. Next make sure the top of your tank is covered well. The little guy will plung to his death to get away from the other one. In the end she will make him bend to her will. Just be ready to take him out if he is getting beat up to bad. The tail is the first thing to go so watch close. The pink skunks are a really pretty fish (my son loves them) but they do not like a busy tank. Ours hide all the time. (They have their own tank) They need a very quite tank with not much flow. I think your tank is big enough to put to sets of clowns in it but just be ready for a very excited tank until they all call a place of their own.
Old 09/17/2005, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

In a 180 I don't see a problem, I have seen it done just stay from the more aggressive Premnas or Ephippium. I would go with the Amphiprion perideraion.

Do you have any Anemones ? If you do try to place them at opposite sides of the tank.