Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 09/13/2005, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Are Frogfish Reef Safe?

Most websites list them as reef safe, would you agree? I've always been intrested in these fish and their whacky using "bait" to catch prey behavior and how they can open their mouth huge. If I got one I'd get a Wartskin Angler because they seem to be the smallest. The tank mates as of now (tank is about 3 months old) are a solar wrasse (about 3") a oc. clown (was a male, his female pal died today It was somewhat of a relief because she had been sick for 10 days and kept getting worse and nothing I did was helping, hes pretty small about 1") and a LMB (1.5") As far as invertebraes go - hermit crabs (10) nass snails (20) astrea snails (10) peppermint shrimp (2) emerald crabs (3) a small zoo frag and a small ricoridia mushroom.
Old 09/13/2005, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Oops scratch that, I'm not getting a wartskin, they're $150, maybe what LiveAquaria has listed as "Assorted Anglers" small is 1-2" and $39.99
Old 09/13/2005, 07:45 PM
Girl Geek

I'd stay away from it if you want to keep your other fish. I'd agree that they are reef safe if you don't want any crabs, fish, or shrimp, but the corals woud be safe. I think I've seen some tanks with these fish in their refugiums. Sorry to not be of more help.
Old 09/14/2005, 06:21 AM
Premium Member

The wartskins usualy don't get bigger than 4" in length. Some of the "Assorted" species can get to be twice that size so make sure to keep that in mind when you purchase one. Anglers can typically swallow any fish up to one and a half times their own length.

They don't bother corals, but will inhale just about anything else that will fit into their mouths!
Old 09/14/2005, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

Okay, I think I'll pass on those, maybe get one for a species only tank, maybe a small one in my nanocube (thats in my basement at the moment)
Old 09/14/2005, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

Wartskins (Antennarius maculatus), painted (A. pictus), Longlure (A. multiocellatus), and coinbearing (A. nummifer) will stay under 5". There are other dwarves but they aren't often collected or seen in captivity. Watch out for commerson anglers (A commerson) as, when young, they are very similar to pictus and multiocellatus but grow to 10-12". The small one would do well in a nano cube until they grow too big (+/- 2-1/2"), they'd need new digs in a year or so.

Since the nano has no skimmer, I'd keep up on the waterchanges. Have lost a few anglers to high (25>) nitrate levels.

See

Zubi's frogfish site
Old 09/14/2005, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

They aren't considered reef safe because they eat reef fishes.
Old 09/14/2005, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Is it a bad sign if their stomach looks all bloated? I am afraid my newest one might have eaten too much as it never moves or could be pregnant and I dont know how to be a frogfish father. Oh yeah, they dont bother your corals or even your fish if you feed them when you see that little lure come out.

Eric
Old 09/15/2005, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Their stomaches can look bloated after a feeding or because they have ingested air. Was the fish eating at the surface or exposed to air during acclimation?
Old 09/15/2005, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Bloating is usually caused by:

1) Ingestion of air, but this usually only happens when the fish is removed (netted from the tank). In my experience, they've all burped out the air quite quickly and it hasn't been a long-term issue. You can hold the frogfish underwater, with his head pointed towards the surface and give a GENTLE shake. This may dislodge any trapped air.

2) Your fish could be female and gravid. She will eject her egg raft within 24 hours, male or no male.

3) Excess food. I try to limit my larger (3"+) anglers to 2 feedings of a silverside or two a week. They will eat much more if the food is available but they become more prone to hunger strikes. They can go a week or two without eating if they are healthy. Often, the bloating will subside after a few days as food is digested.

4) Infection. Bloating in frogfish often accompanies cryptocaryon and amyloodinium. Whether it is from the treatment that kills intestinal fauna or simply a case of the animals digestive system shutting down, I do not know. But this kind of bloating from decomposition (be it food or frogfish tissue itself) is usually terminal.
Old 09/15/2005, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

I believe I read you feed yours like nonstop or something ergret, that is not good for any fish except maybe a Moorish Idol. Espeically for frogfish/lionfish they only need to be fed once or twice a week.
Old 09/15/2005, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I didnt want to invade this thread about a bloated frogfish, he may look like that on purpose. Uberfugu, if it is pregnant I guess it has to have a male present to fertilize whatever comes out meaning they are not live bearers I guess. And where are you from to say gravid, Norway? I took all the shrimp out that was in the tank, so there is nothing in there food wise now. I dont think it is going to make it as all it does is lay there. Well the Red one just sits there so maybe one is lazier than the other. Thanks for the advise and I will read up more on these freaky frogfish. I just picked it up and it got all swelled up and angry. When I let it go it just sank to the bottom, no swimming. Thought I would add that.

Eric
Old 09/15/2005, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

No problem, I, Unlike others, couldn't care less if you change the topic as long as my question has already been answered, which it has lol