Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2006, 01:08 PM
Moved On

Actually, if anyone knows how to propogate that algae, I'm all ears! The chunk that came off (and was put into the clownfish's tank) died off in only a couple days.

Matt
Old 11/01/2006, 10:57 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

We might be talking about different types of algae. There are several species that look similar.

I have a species of algae that looks very similar to that in my tank, but it came from TBS rock and is definitely a Gulf of Mexico species. It is quite pretty when it shows up, but only lasts a little while. Once it detaches from the rock it dies in a few days, it seems to persist though. I've gone as long as 6 months not seeing any of it and suddenly it comes back.

Brian
Old 11/02/2006, 02:05 AM
Moved On

Just a "BTW", I wanted to relay that I got some nice info from Rod over at Rod's Reef, aka. the Onyx Percula guru, via RareClownFish.com - He's had tailstripes take anywhere from 6-18 months to show up on his progeny! The next phase in coloration for my little guys should be the black that shows up between the first and second bars, along with the second bar. He put that appearance at around 30 days. We're at 32+ right now and while I've seen areas on the fish that look like they "could" be starting to be every so slightly different, there's nothing officially approaching stripe #2 or the black flanks yet.

16 months to get tailstripes? Wow! I've also heard around the water cooler that the Onyx percs may only develope the FULL black coloration upon sexual maturity...looking back at my pair I CAN say that they have developed more black as they've matured, and while our little guy's tailstripe is STILL not 100% complete, it probably has gotten a bit more developed over the last 1.5 years!

I'm not one for "misbars" and other strangely marked fish...so keep your finger's crossed that Batch II develops at least 2 nice fish Batch II is down to 2 that refuse to die (they appear to have kicked the latest round of ICH) and Batch III appears to be through meta at this time....I think the largest problem I had after the initial 24 hour die offs was that I wasnt' using enough algae in the tank...started putting more in, and clownfish stopped dying. Harumph.

MP
Old 11/03/2006, 05:07 PM
Moved On

11-3-06, 4:00 PM - the clowns are spawning again!

That's the news.

Matt
Old 11/03/2006, 06:47 PM
CMAS Member!

Interesting!......Mine are two Matt....4:30...Thay can maybe hang out together when the're older
Congrates on hopefully the mother load!

Carl

Here's a pic or two

Old 11/03/2006, 09:11 PM
Moved On

That's a pretty coool lookin' pair of percs - congrats!

Matt
Old 11/04/2006, 12:01 AM
Moved On

Well, it's another massive nest on the Percs...batch # IV is off to a good start.

Meanwhile, interesting happenings on Batch I - this evening 2 of them, the two that did not live in the algae, but rather 1 in a Ricordea florida and the other in a Blue-Striped Mushroom, DISAPPEARED!!! We simply CANNOT find them anywhere in the tank. Very, very strange. We found a big mass of "stuff" being regurgitated by our Tubastrea...thought it might be one or more baby clownfish, but on closer review it looked like an Asterina starfish!

Strange things happening in Renee's 6 gallon this evening...very strange. For now, Batch #I may be down to 4. ONE of them appears to be turning very dark along it's entire flank...maybe second stripes will show up soon (according to Rod's info we're behind schedule).

Matt
Old 11/04/2006, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

matt, i think its hard to compare pattern dev. from one group of clowns to another from diff. breeders. your doing an amazing job. i think rate of black dev. is just random in onyx babies with diff. parents.

regard to your two missing babies. i would be concerned adding these small babies with any ric/mushroom. etc. im not sure if they dev. enough mucous/immune. as in adults to fight off there host

i had a group of babies that dev. fungus while hosting in a frogspawn, even though many adult clowns were in the same system not too long before., and after. poor water quality is a variable also of course, but ive never lost a clown bec. of it.

my protocol now is not to let any juv clown host until i feel they ve reached a certain level of dev.

at the same time, others have proposed that hosting can inc. rate of majurity. its a balance btn developing a clown and its existence that i take into consideration.

this is just my random observation.

good luck with next batch.
Old 11/04/2006, 01:01 AM
CMAS Member!

Just a thought!!! Anyone ever use those Fake rubber anenomoes sold at some LFS. You think that would kill two birds(of fish) with one stone?
Carl
Old 11/04/2006, 02:47 AM
Moved On

Embryoguy, I can tell you that since the introduction at 25 days, the Juvies took to the Ricordea without ANY issues, rolling around in it like it was a bubble tip or something It's the TUBESTREA I'm really worried about, but I've seen them frolicking in it when closed...not when open. Some clownfish may have to learn the hard way LOL!

FWIW, this was a 1-time shot, our first batch of clowns, heck our first successful SW breeding ever, so they were destined to stay here at home..at least until they start killing each other when a real pair forms

BTW Carl, you are spot on and not the first to think of it - I've seen pics with swarms of baby clowns in those things..it's REALLY, REALLY cool!

Matt
Old 11/04/2006, 11:09 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Our club has a local breeder that is doing Onyx and she has those fake anemones and they love it:

http://www.marshreef.com/modules.php...r=asc&start=15

Brian
Old 11/07/2006, 12:17 AM
Moved On

Well, just an update - headstripes starting to show up on Batch III today...everything else seems to be going just fine.

Matt
Old 11/07/2006, 05:03 PM
Moved On

We need an update: how many and how old!
Thanks,
K
Old 11/07/2006, 05:31 PM
Moved On

Well Kathy, here's part one of the update.

First, I took some pics of Batch I - 38 days old at the time of photographing - 4 remain. 3 look stunningly orange and one, the one I think we've been calling "runty" for the last few weeks, is well, runty! The two largest appear to be developing black coloration on their flanks and orange coloration has spread well into all their fins now, but as of this time no second bars.

Batch II - 26 days old, still only 2 remain...one that looks good and one that color wise is pale pink and still appears to have ICH (turns out my UV hadn't been working and it was a BALAST issue - I've been doing what I can to control the ICH with 50%+ water changes + Marine Max dosing + the addition of a Cleaner Shrimp to the tank).

Batch III - they are currently 11-12 days old (if I've done the math right), all have headstripes now. There are one or two swimming around that look like they have massive overbites (likely will be culled in the future if they don't die off on their own). I was planning on putting them under the microscope tonight. There's a good 10+, but they move around so fast right now that I can't get anywhere close to a good headcount.

Next Up - Batch IV - a picture of Mama and Little Man and their eggs, now 4 days since being spawned.

That's the news!

Matt
Old 11/07/2006, 05:55 PM
Moved On

BTW, the macro algae in with Batch I was ID'd over on Nano-reef.com as Scinaia complanata. We've had to trim it back which it handled OK...I have many pieces of it sitting in a breeder net with Batch II at the moment...maybe frags of it soon?

FWIW,

Matt
Old 11/07/2006, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Im surprised that the cleaner shrimp and wrasse are aloud to get that close. Also, what kind of wrasse is that?

keep up the good work matt.
Old 11/07/2006, 10:35 PM
Moved On

Danfirth, the wrasse is Halichoeres marginatus, the Dusky Wrasee, or a very close match to that. It was picked up at a LFS that has since closed, and is apparently from Africa. When smaller, it was almost jet black with horizontal yellow lines and the big navy blue ocelli. It's grown QUITE a bit - for a long time it resided in our 6 gallon, but was moved to make room for Batch I.

Matt
Old 11/09/2006, 02:38 AM
Moved On

In preparation for the hatch of Batch IV, I'm being good about being semi-prepared for a change. Batch III is going to get moved to a breeder net by Friday. The BIG news though, I've tweaked my larval collector a bit. Upon closer examination, I realized that most of the larvae were going underneath the netting - that's how they were getting churned through the pump and killed. I simply had the screen held in place by a couple suction cups...I've since removed those from the configuration and run silicone sealant around all three sides...there's no way to bypass the screen except if the water level rises ABOVE the screen level. It my not be perfect, but it's what I cobbled together with stuff that, for the most part, I already had on hand!

I figured it's now "up to snuff" to share some pix with you guys!

Here's the rough materials list.

1 300 micron synthetic mesh filter bag - Seachem's "The Bag".
1 0.5 gallon Lee's Specimen Cup
1 $3 U tube from Drs. Foster & Smith (couldn't bring myself to pay $15 for one from the LFS)
The bottom frame from a "Breeder Net" (the Seachem bag is slipped over the frame
1 Clip-On mini light - actually part of a headlamp assembly for nighttime fly fishing
1 Minijet 404
Black Tubing for the minijet water return feed.

Now here's the really COOL part. IN THEORY, all I'd need is a surface skimmer on the other side and viola...simple mandarin egg collection device!!!!!!!!!

Thoughts?

Matt
Old 11/09/2006, 08:14 AM
Moved On

"Now here's the really COOL part. IN THEORY, all I'd need is a surface skimmer on the other side and viola...simple mandarin egg collection device!!!!!!!!!"

All you need is a hole in the side of that box( or a bigger box) and submerge/float on the surface of the tank. There is less damage to the larvae or eggs if they don't have to bang around inside all that U tube. They cross the threshold, and they are there. FWIW
Old 11/09/2006, 10:34 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy55g
All you need is a hole in the side of that box( or a bigger box) and submerge/float on the surface of the tank. There is less damage to the larvae or eggs if they don't have to bang around inside all that U tube. They cross the threshold, and they are there. FWIW
Kathy, you're a genius! Heck you could even just cut an overflow right into the side of the container.

Guess I'm building a 2nd one down the line

Matt
Old 11/10/2006, 08:00 AM
Moved On

At last, someone appreciates my greatness...

Too bad, I can't take credit for that one.
Old 11/10/2006, 01:09 PM
Moved On

Just a quick update:

Batch I - they are now 41 days old, 3 with bright vibrant orange and one that still looks more like a Pink Skunk clown The big news, two have small light teardrop shaped patches on their back, roughly where the first dorsal fin ends and the 2nd dorsal fin starts. Without a doubt, 2nd stripes are slowly starting to form on 2 of our little guys.

Batch IV - the eggs started developing eyes yesterday. Today the female has started showing a greater interest in egg care again. I'm tentatively forecasting hatch for Saturday night.

Matt
Old 11/10/2006, 01:26 PM
Moved On

Alrighty, here are the PIX to go with that update. BTW, Batch IV was laid last Friday afternoon, so these are basically 7 day old eggs.

Batch I - finally, 2nd stripes are just starting to develop..right now it just looks like a "tiny spot" on the fish!

Batch IV, 7 day old eggs, my chance at redemption

FWIW,

Matt
Old 11/10/2006, 01:32 PM
Moved On

So based on that photograph above, what's visible in the pictures is approximately 408 eggs....theres a few more behind Little Man.

408 eggs! (each color shift represents 100 eggs, the last one, pink, being the 8 eggs).

Matt
Old 11/10/2006, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

That is totally awesome!