Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/02/2006, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

Chris,

I'm really sorry to hear of your losses. Most of us know how devastating an event like this can be and once again, shows everyone just how important our roles of keepers-of-the-reef can be. Keep moving along and let it be another lesson learned that won't be forgotten and will increase your overall awareness, as I'm sure you will. Again, sorry for your losses and let me know when your tank is up and running and accepting frags.

Joseph
Old 03/02/2006, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

So sorry to hear Chris ............glad you didn't give in your tank will be even more amazing this time The stands woodwork is already very impressive so keep the pics coming as time goes on .

Chris
Old 03/03/2006, 12:55 AM
Moved On

been there before i think i had it worse with a mishap i could of kept from happening with a fluval canister filter hose coming out of the tank. and draining 90% of it onto my apartment floor around 2000 dollars later and a few months im back to where i was actually im further ahead now
Old 03/03/2006, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Haha I have something that will make you feel better. My car was broken into two weeks ago and about $1000 worth of audio equipment was stolen. Then I get a call tonight saying they found my car in Durham and its been stripped. I didn't even know it was gone! I REALLY hate this apartment complex right now...

So cheers!
Old 03/03/2006, 09:38 AM
Flounder - er

Thanks guys! The support means everything!

Go on, Click the little Red House!
Old 03/07/2006, 01:30 PM
Flounder - er

Well, the storm is over in every sense of the word

The temps are normal the sand has subsided and all the water parameters are getting back down to normal.

Here's a few shots of what I like to call... "The Survivors!" As you'll see the inside of the tank needs a cleaning from the sandstorm - there's a light film of sand on the walls. But pardon my lack of cleaning as I've had quite a few other fires to put out first

The brown SPS you see here at the top - a third of the way over is a Blue bottlebrush, BUT I'm happy to report (as bad a shape as it's in) the polyps are out and the color is coming back a little. Should be fun to save this guy!

Old 03/07/2006, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

glad to see those zoos still looking good.
Old 03/07/2006, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

did your mean greens make it?
Old 03/07/2006, 01:45 PM
Flounder - er

Aside from the mandarins, lawnmower blenny, fire shrimp, and serpent stars - you are looking at all that remains....

Well, I take that back, the are some mushrooms and kenya trees - but that's about it - in other words no to the mean greens...

Old 03/07/2006, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Hey Chris,

If you want to come by the house one day I'll give you some various SPS frags to get things going again. I'm sure I'll probably loose some stuff when I make my switch, so I'd like to give you anything extra I have so I can get a frag back, not if, but when I kill my stuff. I figure, if I have that attitude, I'll be less likely to kick holes in the wall when it happens. Then again, I'll probably still kick a hole in the wall.
Old 03/07/2006, 01:50 PM
Flounder - er

brandonberry - Will do partner! Thanks!

Old 03/07/2006, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

you are an inspiration thewuf
Old 03/08/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

gah, chris....

I'm so sorry, I had no idea that you lost so much when we were talking the other day, I literally gasped out loud. What a shame
Old 03/08/2006, 11:49 AM
Personna Non Grata

Beautiful stand. Nice work.
Old 03/08/2006, 11:55 AM
Flounder - er

11fishes - Don't know what I've done to deserve that, but thanks!

Jen - I'm staying positive by telling myself I get to start over - and this time there will be no chromis or mean tail orchid dottyback! LOL

MyMonkey - thank you very much!

Old 03/10/2006, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

good for you chris
Old 03/10/2006, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Man, you jinxed me. I had my tank filled with freshwater for several days with no leaks at all. I finished filling it with seawater the other day, and now 2 of the bulkheads are leaking. I just don't get it. I know seawater is slightly heavier than freshwater, thus causing more pressure, but you wouldn't think it would make that big of a difference. The same thing happened at the RM Children's museum with their new touch tank. They had it filled with freshwater for over a month, with all of the pumps running, and less than a week after mixing the salt in, whal-la, it started leaking everywhere. There has got to be something to this.
Old 03/10/2006, 01:01 PM
TRC Leader

Never test with freshwater?
Old 03/21/2006, 04:24 PM
Flounder - er

OPERATION RECOVERY is in full effect.

Well things have all settled out and I'm on the road to recovery. Here's a few pics to show a little status.

Snapped this right after lights on this morning. Caught it still feeding.

Full shot

Christmas in March!

Old 03/21/2006, 04:36 PM
TRC Leader

Alright - things are perking right up again.
Old 03/21/2006, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

It's amazing how much bigger that extra foot looks .
Old 04/01/2006, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

Hey Chris,
Found your thread on the OM forum and thought I would find something here too. I just read through it. Sorry for your livestock losses. This hobby will either kill us or make us stronger.

I did have a question about your durso and straight standpipe in your overflow. Well, actually moreso the straight standpipe with the strainer on top. I have two holes in the overflow in my frag tank. I put a stockman stand pipe in the larger 1.5" hole and I was planning on putting a second stockman stand pipe in the 1" hole but saw you just used a straight stand pipe with the strainer. How is that straight standpipe working for you and keeping the water noise down?

Hi Marc,
What do you mean not to test with freshwater. Is the weight difference between fresh and saltwater the issue? Can you elaborate on this further. Thanks.
Old 04/02/2006, 12:48 AM
TRC Leader

Because the water density is different, the water test results will be different. It may not leak with freshwater, and the noise factor will be 10x worse than it will with saltwater, and you may discover a few leaks as well.

I'm not opposed to freshwater tests, per se. However, when you fill it up with saltwater for the first time, I still call that a testing period.
Old 04/02/2006, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Because the water density is different, the water test results will be different. It may not leak with freshwater, and the noise factor will be 10x worse than it will with saltwater, and you may discover a few leaks as well.

I'm not opposed to freshwater tests, per se. However, when you fill it up with saltwater for the first time, I still call that a testing period.
I just tested with freshwater and all went well. I thought the worst was behind me .

Now, just to clarify. I am more likely to identify a leak with saltwater and it will be less noisy? I thought it was incredibly loud with the fresh water, so that does offer some hope.

Thanks
Old 04/03/2006, 07:55 AM
Flounder - er

Rebecca - When you have two drains in the same overflow, it is extremely difficult to "balance" them and get them quiet. So the setup I have here is that the Durso standpipe is setup as normal )1.5" below the waterline - hole drilled in the top, etc, etc). The other straight pipe is submerged and has a ball valve underneath. You completely close the valve at first and start your pumps, and then slowly open the ball valve just enough to take the "load" off the Durso - making it run super quiet (and efficient). My runs about 90% Durso 10% straight pipe. I used to run this setup with two Durso's and I could never get them quiet, so I strongly recommend this approach.