Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/27/2006, 11:58 PM
Premium Member

Why yes, this is another clown mixing thread...

So I have an ocellaris clown that's been in the tank for months. All this clown does is hang out in the corner of my 120 and he's kind of boring. This is actually my girls favorite fish.

Would it be possible to add a tiny maroon clown? I saw a real small one at the LFS that went anemone hopping in the tank it was in and I have some Xenia that I'm sure it'll host in.

Whats everyone think?
Old 02/28/2006, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Why not just add another ocellaris and see if you can get them to pair up? I personally wouldn't try it, because even if they get along for a while (big ocellaris and little maroon), the maroon is eventually going to get bigger and meaner. Then the ocellaris will be working on borrowed time.
Old 02/28/2006, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

i think it would be great short term.... but what about when the maroon clown gets big and aggressive? ( not positive that that will happen tho)
Old 02/28/2006, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

I would get another ocellaris but I would be afraid that I would have 2 clowns that wouldn't take to an anemone, that was actually my whole point in getting the stupid clown fish. :/

I was thinking that since it was small it would be okay. Kind of like my apbt and my cat. Don't know if such rules apply to fish.

If something did start to happen it wouldn't be an overnight thing, would it? I'm sure that my girl would notice that it was picking on her Lawrence and make me get it out quick fast.

I don't want to seem like one of those people who asks for an opinion then tried to question everyones, I guess I was just hoping that someone would have some semi-long/long first hand experience with the same scenario.
Old 02/28/2006, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

No I haven't tried mixing clown species, so I wouldn't know firsthand. I know what you mean about the ocellaris, they are otherwise a great fish but I hate the fact that they will typically only go into difficult (carpet, ritteri) anemones.

I would think you would have time to act before one of them winds up dead, but then again if you leave for work or something that could be enough time for one of them to snap and take the other out. That happened to me with a royal gramma and blackcap basslet. They were standoffish at first but then they went to their respective corners and seemed to settle down. The next day I went off to work and when I got home that evening, they were both dead (probably the worst experience I ever had with my fish; was the last time I took advice from my LFS, incidentally).

Anyway, if you do try mixing them and it doesn't work out which fish do you think you will keep?
Old 02/28/2006, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't put a Maroon in....My female maroon in my 92 is 5" to 6" and that is why that pair is in the 92. In the 150 I have a pair of black saddle back clowns and a Clarkii with no problems. But I think putting in the maroon trouble may follow
Old 02/28/2006, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

I have a Maroon with a false Perc. They get along fine but my Maroon is very docile. When I first put him in, he was even chased by my chromis and didn't retaliate at all.
Old 02/28/2006, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Come to find out it's a tomato, not a maroon.

I'm gonna go for it. Worst comes to worst I will have to remove the tomato.
Old 02/28/2006, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

I forgot to mention that both of my clowns are tank raised, which helps a lot. Also, my Maroon is a Gold Stripe. Many people believe them to be far less aggressive than the white stripe variety. Maroons are known for being nasty so you might not be as lucky as I was.
Old 02/28/2006, 05:58 PM

Your clown will be less boring if you get it an anemone and a mate

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 02/28/2006, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Just my opinion, but I personally feel false percs have the best personalities of all clowns. Mine is very interesting and swims around the entire tank while my maroon typically just swims near the surface of the water.
Old 02/28/2006, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

My false perc is taking bites out of the tomato right now.
Old 02/28/2006, 10:02 PM

Your earlier post concerning whether the oscellaris would accept an anemone was a valid concern. But with some effort and patience in my opinion you would most likely end up with a success. Why you would go buy a tomato clown has me at a loss.

Quote:
I would get another ocellaris but I would be afraid that I would have 2 clowns that wouldn't take to an anemone, that was actually my whole point in getting the stupid clown fish
I would never call a clownfish stupid. We as intelligent human beings are the ones who may or may not choose stupid behavior. And as far as I can tell, the little clown so far has had very little choice about anything.

Old 03/01/2006, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

I was joking about the "stupid" comment, I thought it was obvious.

My clown has a bubble tip in there that it could care less about. I tried mirrors and a clown nori clip. The fact that I put the bubble tip in my SPS tank in the first place should show where my priorities are.

As far as buying a tomato clown, I'll just return it if it keeps getting picked on that's all. If it doesn't take to the bubble tip, I'll be returning the tomato anyway. Maybe it's wrong, but I got this (tomato) clown for a reason.

I am actually thinking about maybe just returning it and getting another very small false perc, I would love a maited pair.
Old 03/02/2006, 12:12 PM

Sorry - It never fails...if I make a "mean" post, it is misdirected. I apologize

Old 03/02/2006, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

not to hitchhike, but i have 4 perculas and i have a sebae that is in a nano that i am taking down. do you think i can mix them?
Old 03/02/2006, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Get the first clown a mate. . . they do better in pairs.

We had a pair (until we moved and the boy didn't survive) that have made our bed of fuzzy mushrooms their home. They are very entertaining. One of the mushrooms started grwoing on a rock across the tank and the clowns tried to claim that one too. They finally gave up.

They are, by far, our favorites, although the Momma clown bites us if we try to get our hands near her rock when we clean.

Give the ocellarius a chance. He probably just needs a buddy!
Old 03/03/2006, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

I have wanted to add a second ocellaris to my tank for months. The current clown is healthy, but looks lonely. If I add a second, smaller fish do you think they would get along. If they do pair up would they terrorize the other fish in "their" tank? Thanks R
Old 03/03/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Just make sure the clown you already have is noticeably larger than the one you are going to add, the bigger the better. That way the newcomer knows that he won't stand a chance of dominating the established fish, and minimize potential skirmishes. When I formed my pair, my original ocellaris was already well established in the tank (over a year) and HUGE (for her species). The second clown I added was barely a third of the original's size, and immediately performed the "submission" dance for the larger one when first intoduced. To this day they have never had a fight for dominance. Just my own experience though, can't speak for everyone.

Anyway, in answer to your first question, provided you get a much smaller clown they probably will get along. As for the second question, they may or may not harass the other fish in the tank. My pair tend to guard a very small patch of the tank from the other fish (it is where they lay their eggs) that venture too close, but it generally is not a problem unless there are actually eggs present. Then no fish goes near that spot without getting chased off in a hurry. Ocellaris clowns are pretty laid back compared to the other clowns, though, so even when they are at their worst it is usually not that bad.
Old 03/04/2006, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, I think I will give it a try. R