Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 11:04 PM
My tank is too full

Angels; who has/had them?

I am in the hunt for some good feedback on angelfish. I know that there are other angelfish lovers out there.

I know that I want to add 1 or 2 in the upcoming tank so your feedabck will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

To thine own self be true
Old 01/09/2008, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

Hey Mark,

I had a potters a while back. Very colourful fish... and it never really picked at my sps or my clam. I guess it was just my luck. It took me some time to get it to eat prepared foods.. but man.. it was one fat and happy fish. That is one of my favorites too.

Generally, I hear pygmies are 50/50 when it comes to nipping corals. I know Warren has a pair of multibars and I think he use to have a multicolour too...
Old 01/09/2008, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

I think 50/50 is accurate as well. I have kept coral beauties, golden's, multcolors, potter's flames and cherubs with sps. The best way I have found is getting trustworthy one's from other reefers.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:56 PM
Reef Cowboy

Genicanthus. If you can keep 'em. Yep. Definitely genera Genicanthus.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Mark, have you seen the new angel at John's? It was called something like 'semi lini-something angel'. It is very small and has a black spot on the back top. Really awesome looking.
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 01/10/2008, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

I've got a Fisher's Pygmy angel in a mixed reef tank that's been a model citizen. Never hassled any inverts or corals. Quite a bit of personality as well.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

Flame angels are my favorite. They like to swim through multiple holes in the reef and pick at stuff constantly. In the wild they live amongst broken staghorn rubble at about 70 feet deep and they will stay in an area of 15 square feet or so. I've had two of them during the past 15 years that were a highlight of the tank.

Their demeanor in my tanks has always been perfect-possibly because I've tried to make the tank as much like their natural home as I can.

If you get them small (young), I know of people who have had up to 5 individuals in a single 100+ gallon tank together. One becomes male and the others become the female harem until the male is gone.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Mark, Paul has a good sugestion by getting one from another reef tank were it has behaved around sps.I have a coral beauty in my reef which I bought from Pete and it has never nibled at anything but algae.If you look back at some of the tanks of the month some of them have had lrg angels in them with tons of SPS in them.I have a Queen Angel ,Macoulosus Angel,passer Angel and a Emperror Angel as well ,but not with corals in fish only systems.I love angels to as they have lots of personality and are very hardy if you get a good one.I am thinking of adding a very large Majestic if I can find one.What angels were you thinking of for your new reef tank? Chris
Old 01/10/2008, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Had numerous angels. Mostly centropyges. Model citizens in a reef habitat including clams. I know they are infamous for pinching mantles etc. never had a loss. Multi-color/golden/goldflake/etc. never had a problem with them.
I guess you can say I was lucky with them. You must keep them fed if not, then I think that is where they will start nipping at things.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Watanabe, bellus and japanese swallow tail are nice.

jesus
Old 01/10/2008, 11:31 AM
Lamda Lamda Lamda

I had a Flame and a coral beauty that were totally cool, but they died during my move.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:45 PM