Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

thanks, id be curious about that to, I am just about ready to order my light
Old 01/08/2008, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsn112
hey Md, I just read through your post in the t5 thread, you said the opening at the top is 12", but the 6 bulb tek is 15" wide. How are you going to make that work?
Yeah, same as Donk. Basically it said 12inches wide but if you look at the fixture, I figured there was quite a bit of overhang and the bulbs would fit nicely.
Other fixtures like the outer orbit 2x150MH would have been a problem as the two outside T5s would have been right over the overhang and thrown big shadows I'm sure.
I actually ordered the acrylic shield too, which told me how wide the bulbs were.
I can't wait to get it all going!
Old 01/08/2008, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

The acrylic shield is 11.8W - perfect!
The mounting legs look like they'll just fit over the side as far as I could see. I'll let you know.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

Hi all sweet thread I am a proud owner of a 120 tech series as well.I will post some pics tomorrow.Just remeber all building there own stands for these tanks as the lifetime warranty is only good if you use there stand always.I was going to build my own stand until i saw that on the warranty card.Great thread,Chris
Old 01/09/2008, 03:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I was looking at those 2 pumps as well, but not quite sure what i need. I am planning on using a om 2way on the return through the eurobracing.
pumps, get a ehiem 1262 or ocean runner 3500. here's my om 2 way plumbed into the eurobrace:

Old 01/09/2008, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

NICE - let's see some more pics! It's a bit dark inside the tank, what do you have in there? Can I see the under-tank plumbing also?
It looks like the pvc is glued, but I presume you can unscrew from the middle to disassemble for maintenance if required?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Also, do you find it noisy? I'm toying with the idea of doing the herbie silent overflow method, but I see you're using the durso there. Obviously the herbie method would mean plumbing over the back of the tank which I'd rather not do.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

KMP thanks for the response, at 898gph for the eheim that wouldnt be too much though for a 45. I'm a noob at plumbing a tank so any and all help is appreciated. And does anyone know around what the wait time on the ati powermodules are, just curious
Old 01/09/2008, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

andrsn i have the tech 45 setup this has been my epseriance with the return pump and overflows

i ran a rio hyper flow 17 rated for 660 @ 6ft so @ the 5 foot or so height of the return on the tech 45 it was around 700 gph i guess and it wasnt really that it was too much flow but it did make the over flow VERY loud with "flushing" i think it was a bit too much for it to keep up.

since then i have modified to run both blukheads as dursos similar to the herbie method with the return coming up the back and through bulkheads in the eurobrace with a MAG 7 (claimed rating 420gph @5 feet) and its a pretty good.

i have opted to run 2 koralia 1's and 2 koralia 4's to get a good amount of movement in the tank with out running the water through my sump too fast but still getting a good rate of turn over.

the one issue i have with this tank is that is tricky to get the flow to move waste up to and out of the over flow with out it swirling around until it settles on teh botom and to achieve this while still providing water movement tht keeps my sps happy. this is mostly due to the short distance front to back.. plus the dimensions make it a big time PITA to get a good sump/fuge/skimmer set up with out getting custom tank for a sump. i love my tank but if could do it over again i would ahve gotten teh 70gallon
Old 01/09/2008, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Nismo Driver thanks for the explanation. I'm thinking maybe I should have gone with the 70 now too one of the reasons being is what its going to cost in a custom sump to fit the tight space. I just ordered so I may be able to cancel the order and pick up the 70 in stock. Guess i'm off to make a phone call
Old 01/09/2008, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

How does every one feel about one vortech powerhead for the 70g.

Do you think that would be enough, It can put out up to 3000gph.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

3000? I think that might be a bit high for a 70g!
Old 01/09/2008, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbrit
Although 3,000 gph is a ton of flow, Vortech's flow can be turned all the way down to 500 gph. Here's a link to cstires' SPS dominated 70g Tech with only 1 Vortech and it looks great:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1261609
Old 01/09/2008, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

You can adjust the Vortech. I have one in my 40 breeder. They are really nice. I'd get one for your tank if I was you.

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbrit
I wouldnt run it at full blast, but somewhere in the middle maybe.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Ah, sorry, thought we were talking about the return pump still.
I'd love to get a vortech, but my budget is out of control enough as it is. I'm going to have to make do with some koralia's at the moment.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

i thnk the money for the cost of 1 vortech could be better spent on several other powerhead and ultimately you would have more random water movement which is more important then just have a large total water movement..
Old 01/09/2008, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

I have 2 vortech on my 120. They are fully worth the money. They give flow to the entire tank. The flow is so random and its not a stream of flow.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

if you have the wireless vortech, you can do a ton of flow patterns with It. Totally random, I think there are a few different modes you can do with just one pump, and if you have more then even more options.

I just got a brand new one with the wireless for 380 shipped. Its about 40 plus shipping less than most places.

Heres what it can do alone:
Reef Crest Random Mode- set the potentiometer to your maximum desired speed and the VorTech Wireless Wave Driver automatically randomizes the flow throughout your tank. The pump will vary from one speed to another rapidly to simulate the high-energy conditions of a natural reef crest environment.

Lagoon Random Mode- set the potentiometer to your maximum desired speed and the VorTech Wireless Wave Driver automatically randomizes the flow throughout your tank. The pump will vary slowly from one speed to another to simulate a calmer, lagoonal reef environment.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

that does sound pretty cool, still not convince that one power head with a bajillion fancy setting is going to provide better random flow then multiple powerheads
Old 01/09/2008, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

I agree. It's still flow coming from one direction. The vortech may put out a wide stream at many different power levels but I don't think it's the best solution out there.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

i chose to go a different route with the flow. the OM Squirt will be pushing 587gph to either side of the tank in back and i'll have a wavysea in each front corner with a Tunze Nanostream 6025 attached alternating back and forth at 90 degree angles.

Last edited by KMP; 01/09/2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

mdbrit...the tank is still being built in the garage so cant' attest to noise yet. i did have a SCWD hooked up and the tank was running with fresh water. the SCWD is not designed to be run over the water level so it made noise. so i go the OM Squirt.

nothin in the tank yet and under cabinet plumbing will be done this weekend. pvc is not glued yet but will be. to remove i have a union on either side of the OM Squirt and below it. remove that, to take out the OM Squirt. then remove the nut from the bottom of each bulkhead and lift the plumbing parts right out as one unit on either side.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KMP
mdbrit...the tank is still being built in the garage so cant' attest to noise yet. i did have a SCWD hooked up and the tank was running with fresh water. the SCWD is not designed to be run over the water level so it made noise. so i go the OM Squirt.

nothin in the tank yet and under cabinet plumbing will be done this weekend. pvc is not glued yet but will be. to remove i have a union on either side of the OM Squirt and below it. remove that, to take out the OM Squirt. then remove the nut from the bottom of each bulkhead and lift the plumbing parts right out as one unit on either side.
VERY nice job man! So many ideas on what to do I'm getting nowhere fast trying to decide! lol.
I think I'll just have to take the plunge (no pun intended) and start. Lights should be here next week and new RO/DI!!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

KMP - I've an 8g biocube also - you must have great taste also ;-)