Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/22/2007, 08:42 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

another suggestion for tunze, i found alot of the vibration noise is coming from the back of the ball, where it sits in the mount. If there was some sort of foam, or rubbery pad to go between the mount and the pump it quiets it down sufficiently. I currently have a small piece of foam glued to the back of the pump, and it works great, its only a quiet humm now

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 01/23/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joeychitwood

My noise problem went away when I epoxied the shaft into the hole in the pump.
Can you explain that in more detail?
Old 01/23/2007, 09:41 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by Rook
Can you explain that in more detail?
My 6025 became noisy when the metal propeller shaft came loose from its mounting hole in the body of the pump. The propeller started to rattle around on the loose shaft.

I used a two-part marine epoxy to glue the shaft firmly into the hole in the pump body. Be sure to center the shaft perfectly. After epoxying the shaft, the noise stopped.
Old 01/23/2007, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

I performed the "nano mod" last night and have to say that the flow in my 55 is now the same as it was in my 30 with 2 6025s. Very pleased with no regrets. I tried to make slits in the tube with a dremel but it was too difficult. I decided to go all the way, and I am happy I did.
Old 01/23/2007, 09:49 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

I tried to cut slits in mine also, but the flow rate wasn't really increased very much. I finally cut the tube back to the cover. The propellers run perfectly. One even had to reverse itself without problems. The flow rate is phenomenal
Old 01/23/2007, 11:55 AM
Keeping It Real

Very intrigued by this mod... Going to wait a week or so before I do it myself... Please post if anyone has found a downside after doing the mod... TIA

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 01/23/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

tagging along here also
-cleaner shrimp

Opinions are like nipples on a man.....
Old 01/23/2007, 12:08 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

its been about 24 hours, probably had 5+ restarts to test and doing a waterchange and such, no downfall

i tried to superglue the prop bar in place, didnt work to well, didnt silence it

but i found takign a sock, folding it up so 3 sides of the sock are between he glass nad outside magnet it quiets it down, less pressure on glass i guess.

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 01/23/2007, 12:11 PM
clownfish fan

or the sock muffles it
Old 01/23/2007, 12:18 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

either way it works haha

its still fairly noisy for trying to sleep, and once you like "tune" into the sound it seems like its louder, so if you just try not to pay attention, or listen to music its fine

Old 01/23/2007, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Mine are quiet.
Old 01/23/2007, 12:38 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by mr pink floyd
I tried to superglue the prop bar in place, didn't work to well, didn't silence it.....
I tried plain cyanoacrylate as well as a two part CA glue with no luck. I used a marine-grade epoxy, and the pump has been silent for several days now.
Old 01/24/2007, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcr6479
Per Roger, "The problem is that the tube is actually there to correct the prop rotation. If the prop spins backwards the magnet/ prop assembly flies down the tube until it breaks contact with the electromagnetic field, in falling back in it spins the right way, like a falling maple seed and syncs up with the magnet correctly. The tube is to keep the magnet from flying out of socket or hanging up on the intake screen. Contrary to popular belief the 6025 and 6045 use the same front cover."
Ahh... So I would imagine that drilling holes in the tube would be best b/c it will keep the proper rotation direction and increase the flow.

Whoops... It pays to read on before you respond.
Old 01/24/2007, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
oh well, so far it seems worth it, and i hope it stays this way. Since i didnt mess with the impellar, or motor at all i doubt this will have any really bad effects
If it doesn't work out, you can always purchase a new front cover for ~$10 (part #6025.130)

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C...spare_9999.999
Old 01/24/2007, 03:12 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

thats a good idea, i actually might grab one of those to try another pod out,

takign off the tube on the inside and outside, then somehow putting mesh covering over the front hole, make it much wider flow, and probably more flow

Old 01/24/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rook
It is curious as to why the pump had decreased flow in the first place, unless there was something clogging the intake or something got into the shaft.
Well, I think as the name implies, these were designed for smaller tanks. We know Tunze knows how to generate flow... so maybe this is one way for them to minize it IN CASE someone actually wants one of these in their 12g nano.
Old 01/24/2007, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

I like the idea of being able to control where the nano draws water in from. right now, I get a bit of a circular flow across the top, down the other side, back across the bottom, and then up back towards the pump. If I can make it draw from the bottom even more, this would (in theory) create an exponential increase in circulation as a swirling vortex is created. Kinda like the little merry-go-round thing at the local park. You only put in a little extra effort on each push, but over time the constant additions of "energy" add up and you really get it moving.
Old 01/24/2007, 09:11 PM
Unregistered Member

wow, what a sweet mod. when i get my nano i will definetly be doing this

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 01/29/2007, 02:57 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

Well its been a week, and its still working fine, flows still strong, no more noise, restarts every time

Old 01/29/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

how many times have you stopped and restarted?
Old 01/29/2007, 03:02 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

My noisy 6025 has once again begun rattling. I've already glued the shaft into place twice, but it keeps breaking loose. I'll try once more. Has anyone tried to heat the shaft and melt it into place?
Old 01/29/2007, 03:03 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

easily 20+

the first day i did it i kept testing it, adn over a wek i tried a few thigns, it started int he air, under water, i stopped it with my finger underwater, held my hand coverign the output and it always restarted itself fine

Old 01/29/2007, 03:04 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

joey, it just needs to find a sweet spot, mine will center istelf perfectly over the course of a few days and the moise will go away, it has alot to do with the mouting clip too, how it puts pressure on the sides

IMO if they made the next one with the magnets adn attatch them liek the koralia it would help alot

Old 01/29/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

I think I'll do mine this weekend... I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and I think I noticed a slight decrease in flow... can't be sure if it's the slime building up or if I'm just imagining it. They actually look pretty good today.
Old 01/29/2007, 03:10 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
joey, it just needs to find a sweet spot, mine will center istelf perfectly over the course of a few days and the moise will go away,
I'll give it a few days to see if the noise goes away. Thanks for the idea.