Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2005, 12:00 PM
Registered Reefer

Amazing reading about salt

This may be old news to some of you but wow

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

I have a line on the Crystal Sea Marinemix-Bioassay Formulation in 150gal cartons

$30 if anybody wants in I will order them

The answer is always no if you never ask the question.....
Old 11/26/2005, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

im 2 lazy 2 read it but does it say sumthin like u should try to use different salts or sumthin?
Old 11/26/2005, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

reading is important and i am defitantly interested in the salt mix how soon can you get it next sunday is monthly waterchange day so if possible before then if not thats ok too.
Rob
Old 11/26/2005, 03:56 PM
Registered Reefer

I will have some by Tuesday you can get it any time after that
Henrietta is where I will be
btw that was a landed price
That study is pretty powerfull

Old 11/26/2005, 04:20 PM
Parrotfish in Mexico

Better read this recent article as well, those of us in the hobby a while remember the "Great Crystal Seas Tank Wipeout" debacle after the origional Shimek article came out.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/11/aafeature1

Do a search, plenty of reefers lost a good portion of their tanks when jumping on this particular bandwagon, especially those switching from IO to Crystal Seas. Many of the experts feel the study was seriously flawed, and some of us feel that metals have little to do with the "old tank syndrome"--I personally feel that organophosphates accumulating and eventually released by old DSB's caused the eventual decline of my early reef(s).

PLEASE do some more research on this unless you're planning on setting up your tank from scratch with Crystal Seas. There should be plenty of threads on RC regarding tank losses, and I recall several URS folk had MAJOR problems with the switch.

John T.
Old 11/26/2005, 04:22 PM
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by drtango
Better read this recent article as well, those of us in the hobby a while remember the "Great Crystal Seas Tank Wipeout" debacle after the origional Shimek article came out.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/11/aafeature1

Do a search, plenty of reefers lost a good portion of their tanks when jumping on this particular bandwagon, especially those switching from IO to Crystal Seas. Many of the experts feel the study was seriously flawed, and some of us feel that metals have little to do with the "old tank syndrome"--I personally feel that organophosphates accumulating and eventually released by old DSB's caused the eventual decline of my early reef(s).

PLEASE do some more research on this unless you're planning on setting up your tank from scratch with Crystal Seas. There should be plenty of threads on RC regarding tank losses, and I recall several URS folk had MAJOR problems with the switch.

John T.
Thanks I will

Old 11/26/2005, 04:31 PM
Parrotfish in Mexico

Found a link from the URS, Dave Playfair, who hasn't been seen here in awhile, is/was one of the true Jedi Reefers, TOTM winner TWICE. Be very careful with Crystal Seas.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ystal+AND+seas
Old 11/26/2005, 10:38 PM
yes it's my aquarium

I agree: beware making a switch to "Crystal Seas"- no matter who tells you it's OK to do so.
Old 11/28/2005, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

I have been using crystal sea salt for over14 years, never had a problem. I have read all the link info and threads and it appears to be the best salt available. The neophyte reefers using it have had problems I believe because of its higher PH. They shock their systems.
Old 11/28/2005, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iamreef
I have been using crystal sea salt for over14 years, never had a problem. I have read all the link info and threads and it appears to be the best salt available. The neophyte reefers using it have had problems I believe because of its higher PH. They shock their systems.
hmmm, 1st post all for Crystal Sea's.... I think we might have a Chewlie's Gum spokesman in the URS!!!

Just kidding, but that does seem odd.
Old 11/28/2005, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Crystal Sea has two salt products. It's the Bio-Assay formula people had problems with. If you're not going to heed warning at least make the switch very gradually.
Old 11/28/2005, 12:08 PM
Moved On

For those considering a switch in mixes Just remember one of our most important rules in this hobby. IF IT IS NOT BROKE DON"T MESS WITH IT. In other words if you have not had any problems with IO for example why change and risk soething bad???I have used IO for years and never had anythng bad to report on its quality.
Old 11/28/2005, 03:11 PM
reefman

I hate to be the Devils Advocate, but I would love to find out that I could be doing something much better for my reef. If anyone here decides to take a walk on the wild side and go forth, please let us know how it works out. Just go slow.
Old 11/28/2005, 03:18 PM
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by kmagyar
I hate to be the Devils Advocate, but I would love to find out that I could be doing something much better for my reef. If anyone here decides to take a walk on the wild side and go forth, please let us know how it works out. Just go slow.
I got to tell you after reading all there is to read it sounds like this salt is superior. It appears the problem people had could not be fully validated as the Cause. The only thing I saw questionable was the mix with the declorinator built in which is not this version.

Old 11/28/2005, 03:21 PM
Registered Reefer

I started with this salt when I first began with no problem and for whatever reason switched to RC that's what I was told by someone that it was better and I didn't know any better

Old 11/28/2005, 03:31 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

Good reads all of you guys, pcialf, drtango, etc..
My Oceanic was higher than any other salt on a couple of the heavy metal tests... but I'm going to stick with it.
morartiholmes... yea.. good movie too. heh.
Old 11/28/2005, 07:50 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by iamreef
hmmm. Using 'Crystal Seas' for over 14 years, eh? Do I know you?
The folks having problems with 'Crystal Seas' were not all neophytes.
Old 12/01/2005, 08:37 PM
yes it's my aquarium

PCIALF- this thread might be of special interest of you:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...10#post6201610
Old 12/16/2007, 12:33 PM
yes it's my aquarium

PCIALF

first of all, you have a PM from yers truly

secondly, what salt mix(es) have you been using all this time?

thirdly (FWIW) I just mixed up a very large batch of 'Crystal Seas' Marine Mix (not the bio-assay).
Here are the results using Salifert tests @ a S.G. of 1.025:

alkalinity: 11.2dKH = 4.0 meq/L
Ca: 400ppm
Mg: 1260ppm
pH: 8.4

This would appear to be very good for a saltmix straight out of the bucket but make no mistake about it- I know the many bleaching problems associated with this saltmix in the past were no mere coincidences.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Reefer

Re: PCIALF

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
first of all, you have a PM from yers truly

secondly, what salt mix(es) have you been using all this time?

thirdly (FWIW) I just mixed up a very large batch of 'Crystal Seas' Marine Mix (not the bio-assay).
Here are the results using Salifert tests @ a S.G. of 1.025:

alkalinity: 11.2dKH = 4.0 meq/L
Ca: 400ppm
Mg: 1260ppm
pH: 8.4

This would appear to be very good for a saltmix straight out of the bucket but make no mistake about it- I know the many bleaching problems associated with this saltmix in the past were no mere coincidences.
I have only used Reef Crystals. My tank was set up with Crystal Seas but that was that.

Why do you have a batch of Crystal Seas mixed up did you take a wrong turn?

Old 12/16/2007, 12:41 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Re: Re: PCIALF

Quote:
Originally posted by PCIALF
Why do you have a batch of Crystal Seas mixed up did you take a wrong turn?
Yes- when I got married

Just kidding. Actually, I like to play mad scientist every now and then while I'm waiting for snow to fill up the driveway
Old 12/16/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Reefer

Re: Re: Re: PCIALF

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
Yes- when I got married

Just kidding. Actually, I like to play mad scientist every now and then while I'm waiting for snow to fill up the driveway
R U going to use it??

You know John still swears by it

Old 12/16/2007, 03:40 PM
yes it's my aquarium

I'm not using it.

John's running it in his SPS display.