Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish

Old 12/31/2007, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

I would like to start a dwarf sea-horse tank but.(Basically a Brine shrimp question)

I have a aquarium set up currently and I want to practice hatching brine shrimp to get the hang of it and see if I can handle doing it religiously (as in a lot), I have a yellow clown goby, 2 ocellaris clowns, sand-sifting sea-star, 5 hermits. Could I hatch shrimp for them to eat as a snack I don't want to hatch it to dump out! Can someone send me some good links for hatching set-ups DIY or kits and reading on these little shrimps!

Last edited by KSwim_With_Fish; 12/31/2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Yea they will love those as a snack

a good site is seahorse.org that has all the information

but honestly you can have anything that holds saltwater- a lamp- and air line bubbling and viola a brine hatchery!

though again honestly i think that an inverted bottle works the best
Old 12/31/2007, 09:40 PM
--sister of geek--

I've done mine for baby fishes using a 1 qt deli cup, and an airline through the lid just to keep the water moving. Kits are probably not necessary--just give it a whirl.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

The kits work great, I like the ones that use an empty 1 or 2-liter bottle. But, as stated they are not necessary. Take an empty, clean plasic bottle with the lid on, and cut the bottom 3-4" off. Now invert the bottle and stick the lid end into the bottom that you cut off. insert an airline tube, I like to use a paperclip to hold it in place. Fill half to 3/4's full with seawater, you can use old tankchange water. Add your brine cysts and in about 24 hours (could be as little as 18 or up to 36) you will have hatched brine. The light is really only necessary to harvest them, turn off the air, put light near the bottom and wait 10 min. you will see like a red cloud nead where the light is concentrated and there will be gunk floating (the floating stuff is egg shells) siphon out the brine, I normally use the air tubing and start the siphon with a turkey baster that I bought for the tanks.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

brineshrimpdirect.com has a hatchery that a 2L bottler screws into. thats what i use. works great. They have great prices on eggs too.

Click the Little Red house for my New Tank Build!
Old 01/03/2008, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Consider decapping the cysts before hatching. Decapping is the process of removing the eggs' outer shell, and yields BBS that are much more nutrious.

Here is a link to instructions.

Here is another instruction link.

Seahorsesource.com sells eggs that are already decapped. They also sell a hatchery.

HTH

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

I hatch 2 batches of brine daily for my 4 week old erectus babies. I've tried all sorts of set-ups over the last 3 years and have settled on 20 oz Dr Pepper bottles turned upside down. I find the more funnel shape of the DP bottle improves the hatch rate. I put 2 lengths of rigid airline in each bottle so that there is very vigourous water movement. The hatching bottles are submerged in a small tank filled with tapwater and a heater set @ 82 degrees and a light on 24/7. I also use Embryon decapsulated eggs which hatch in 20-22 hours.

My routine is to feed a batch, wash the hatcher, start a new batch. If I'm late feeding and the naupli are past a few hours old I enrich with Selcon.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

my lfs sells decapsulated brine shrimp eggs you simple put a couple drops in your dwarves tank and BOOM 18-36 hours later baby brine shrimp it takes all the hassle out of owning dwarves