Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

acan/micro placement in tank

Should acans/micros be placed on horizontal shelves (or on the bottom of the tank), or can they be positioned on the LR at
an angle?

Do they even care?
Old 11/05/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

People suggest keeping them low in the tank when you first get them, and slowly moving them up. I haven't had any problems with mine under 150w halide and T5HO actinics in my 10 inch deep tank.
Old 11/05/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

My purple acan needed to be at the bottom at first and was healthy, but after about 2 months it couldnt survive unless at the top of the tank.
Old 11/05/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

But what about angle? Should they be placed flat (horizontal),
or could I glue a frag to a vertical wall of live rock?
Old 11/05/2007, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

I've noticed that mine do best when placed flat. That way the larger polyps on top don't shade the ones beneath.
Drew
Old 11/06/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spsboy
I've noticed that mine do best when placed flat. That way the larger polyps on top don't shade the ones beneath.
Drew
Good point! Thanks.
Old 11/07/2007, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

could this be a problem with this lord--two weeks ago it white polyps were fully visible --now they have disappeared and it is all one uniform colour

two weeks ago

placement:

Old 11/08/2007, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

I don't know if I fully understand what you are saying about the color. Was it a pink/red/white colored acan and now it is mostly pink? If that's the case, the coral was probably bleached when you got it and it is turning back to it's regular color in your tank. If white is the color of the polyp normally, it could just be morphing in your tank because of the lights you have. It also looks like there is a few receded polyps at the top of the frag. If that is the while you are talking about (would be the skeleton), it is good that it is gone.
Old 11/08/2007, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Echidna09
I don't know if I fully understand what you are saying about the color. Was it a pink/red/white colored acan and now it is mostly pink? If that's the case, the coral was probably bleached when you got it and it is turning back to it's regular color in your tank. If white is the color of the polyp normally, it could just be morphing in your tank because of the lights you have. It also looks like there is a few receded polyps at the top of the frag. If that is the while you are talking about (would be the skeleton), it is good that it is gone.
when I purchased the coral it was twice the size--the coral provider fragged it in half on the floor and my buddy took the other half. That is collateral damage you are seeing at the top of the coral from being fragged.

as per the picture--the coral was pink with each head encircled in white---now the white has disappeared and it is one uniform colour. These are not polyps as I referred to them above--it is actually marking in the flesh.

Are you saying it is normal for these to dissappear--I've looked at picture of other Lords similar--they all have the pink and white flesh/markings
Old 11/08/2007, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

------Ill upgrade the picture later tonight--sorry I should have done that in the first place.