Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/09/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Talking Calcium/Alkalinty/Barebottom

Hi all need some advice...........I have taken the hobby real serious these days. I want my tank to be like all the ones that we drool over. I have invested lots of time and patience and have been reading everything possible to keep a great colors/healthy system.
Ok on that note I was testing my water and found some shocking results. My calcium was at 420 and my Alk was at 5.9 now that’s low. I have been using Randy’s 2part for almost a year now and never had any problems. But is it better to just skimp on something else and just buy ESV two part instead?
From what I gather using ESV 2 part is more complete than Randy’s 2part and the addition of magnesium is also not needed if you use ESV brand. Can anyone testify to this or is this not a true statement? Ok I have been dosing 5ml an hour with a reef dosing pump that has worked great. But seeing that everything was so low I raised the dosing to 10ml an hour does this sound correct to raise the level to the expectable levels? Now I know that the levels are low but everything looks great full PE and very good color. I am sure the color could be better if the levels were higher but what gives?
Second question
I have been running the tank Bare Bottom and have found it to be very hard at first. But now it’s very easy to maintain/clean Hi flow and weekly siphoning has kept the tank CLEAN. But I would like to know why my Nitrates are at Zero. I know this is a good thing but what is eliminating them? I do not have a RDSB or any sand bed for that matter. I feed the tank 2/3 times a day and the 5 fish I have are fat and happy. I do run my skimmer 24/7 but it is run very dry. At one time I was running it very wet but it was pulling out to much to fast and corals were being starved.
Now for a third question
How often should water changes be made? I have not done water change in some time. The only way I add water to the system is with evaporation loss. I add about 5 gallons of water every 6 to 7 days RO/DI only. I will say that every time I remove the scum from the collection cup from my MRC/MR2 I add newly made up water( reefcrystals) I add about 1 ½ gallons a week. I know some are saying that can’t be his salinity would be through the roof, but this is not the case I keep it at 1.026. I guess the top off of water lowers it.
Fourth question
Am I even running a bare bottom system the correct way? Can someone please tell me if I need to be doing things in a different way? Like I love the way the tank looks but can it be better? Sure with every ones help. Also I have been using Zeovit but only the Amino Acid Concentrate, Potassium Iodide Fluoride Concentrate, Iron Concentrate. I am also using purigen resins instead of carbon.
Ok i have given as much info as i can so please chime in and lets get this popping.
Thanks
Michael
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 10/10/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

wow 44 views and not one reply no thats sad
Michael
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 10/10/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Mike, I'm essentially running the same system. Try the calculator on twopartsolution.com.
Adust the alk up slowly. Too fast and you'll get hurt like I did. The one thing that really helped me was adding the RDSB for stabolity. I'm only adding the Mag once a month and I do like Randy's 2 part. Any questions onESV ask the guys at HOF. They're probably the largest distributor in NY.
HTH.
Ken
Old 10/10/2007, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Michael,
Have you tested for Mag? Just wondering, I thought I was good given the recommended dosing for the 2 part system, and ample water changes led me to believe I was right on. I tested after using for over 2 months, and came back at 1150ppm. I have since upped my Mag, and also now use a CA reactor, and dose 12.5ml of Mag every 48 hours, and kalkwasser every hour at 50ml. I can honestly say that I have been testing 2-3 times per day, as the Reactor was setup a few days ago, and so far not much fluctuation on any of the tests. I have been reading 1250 Mag, 420-430 CA, and 8-8.4DKH. It may be coincidence, but since I upped my Mag, I have encountered alot less shifts in these params...... Good luck to you!
Perry
Old 10/11/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like Water Changes with Instant ocean will really help you. It is high in ALK and low in CA which is what you need to bring your levels back to being balanced. Also, MG as mentioned before is an issue. I dose MG through water changes. I add lots of MG when doing them with ESV brand. I suggest doing more WC's than you do now.
Old 10/11/2007, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

You are doubling your alk supplement so that is a rather large increase. While it may not raise your values fast enough to get into a danger range, I would only do it for a day or two with testing am and pm to make sure the alk isn't going up too fast.

As far as switching, my opinion is there is no need to change if you have been happy with the 2-part. Your low alk issue was simply one of amount to dose, not the quality of the product.

I always recommend water changes every two weeks.
Old 10/12/2007, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

i use the ESV B-IONIC 2-part and I still need to dose Mg to keep it in check so the rumor you heard is not true
Old 10/13/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

kkris
Quote:
Adust the alk up slowly.
I am doing that Now raised it over the course of 5 days now from 6 Ml per hour and I am up to 16 ML per hours . I think the corals are pulling more then there share. I knew it would be a matter of time before the Calcium/Alkalinity that i was doising would not be enough for the supplie and demand. But now i got a handle on it as my DKH is 7.4 and the calcium is 460 At least this is going in the right direction
Micahel

plyle02
Quote:
Have you tested for Mag?
Yes and its around 1320 I have been adding it very slow to the tank to keep up with demand
Thanks
Michael

Serioussnaps
Quote:
Sounds like Water Changes with Instant ocean will really help you.
I have been using reefcrystals is this not the same company? Or is it better to switch? If so let me know its cheaper
Michael

DaveJ
Quote:
You are doubling your alk supplement so that is a rather large increase. While it may not raise your values fast enough to get into a danger range, I would only do it for a day or two with testing am and pm to make sure the alk isn't going up too fast.
Thanks have been adjusting the dosing pump very slow
Michael

JER-Z
Quote:
i use the ESV B-IONIC 2-part and I still need to dose Mg to keep it in check so the rumor you heard is not true
Thanks for the Information
Michael
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 10/15/2007, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

reef crystals is from the same company, they both cost about the same.
Old 10/16/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Magnesium