Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
Wow...two achilles...cool!
I love achilles

There are 9 tangs in the tankurple, yellow, black, jewel, minic, kole ,hippo, and 2 achilles....

Believe it or not, they live peacefully...probably too many of them and they don't know who to fight with....
Old 09/13/2007, 11:41 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

From the pic they look quite different in size...I suppose that helps too.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 09/13/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zach0660
I second you, lol
It's amazing what people try to do for attention anymore, isn't it?
Dear Moderator,

Can I withdraw or delete this thread?
Old 09/13/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

ugly tank
Old 09/14/2007, 12:06 AM

Is that an anemone in the top left side? Euphyllia? Elegance?

Old 09/14/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is that an anemone in the top left side? Euphyllia? Elegance?
Yes. I think it is a Heteractis magnifica for its blood red column, but I am not very sure.
Old 09/14/2007, 01:26 AM

Beautiful tank IMO. I'm sorry you feel otherwise.. lol

Can you post more pics? Equipments? I'd like to know more.
Old 09/14/2007, 01:33 AM
Did I do that?

Wow, that is ugly!!! Can I have it?
Old 09/14/2007, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

sweet tank
Old 09/14/2007, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xtm
Beautiful tank IMO. I'm sorry you feel otherwise.. lol

Can you post more pics? Equipments? I'd like to know more.
I will if you like to, but please give me some time. I will have to figure out what's wrong with my photos first!

There is not much to say about equipment. Below is a list of what is running:

Tank size : 8'x2'x2', total volume around 800L
Skimmer : H&S HS 150
Lighting : 3x 400W 10000K + 2 x 250W 20000K MH
Cooling : 1HP Chiller
CA Reactor : Suchran JEtstream1
Water movement : Iwaki 100 (sump return), 2x Iwaki 40 (close loops), 3x Tunze stream 6100, Tunze Wavebox.
Old 09/14/2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by neoyhng
Yes. I think it is a Heteractis magnifica for its blood red column, but I am not very sure.
I thought so....very nice indeed! I'm very jealous. We almost never see the red bodied magnificas here in the states.

Old 09/14/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I thought so....very nice indeed! I'm very jealous. We almost never see the red bodied magnificas here in the states.
Well, there are also Atlantic and Caribbean species never seem in HK.....to a certain extend the world is fair

A few new pics. I started to get hold of the skill

Old 09/14/2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Well, there are also Atlantic and Caribbean species never seem in HK.....to a certain extend the world is fair

LOL...ok, I'll trade you the magnifica for a condylactis any day

Old 09/14/2007, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
LOL...ok, I'll trade you the magnifica for a condylactis any day
Seriously, If I have the chance I would be delighted!

Just took a look of your Web page and your tank is MARVELLOUS! What do you do to keep the vivid colour of your coral? This troubled me for a long time. By the way I have managed to keep NO3 and PO4 of my tank under control; both are below detectable range of Salifert test kits (the best I can get here) but the coral are still brown and brown.....
Old 09/14/2007, 08:55 AM

After stable water parameters (alk, ca, mg) in my experience, it's been as simple as keeping nutrients low. Not just PO4 and NO3, but everything else we can't test for. I have a high fish load like you, and if I'm not careful, my corals go brown very quickly (kind of like they are now ). Also, because fish are more important to me than corals, I've simply stopped trying to keep certain kinds. Many of the tricolors, humilis, etc will never be gorgeous in my tank. On the other hand, things like the cali tort look great. I've learned through trial and error which corals look best in my non-nutrient-poor tank

Thanks very much for the kind words, BTW! And FWIW, I don't think your corals look brown at all!

Old 09/14/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
After stable water parameters (alk, ca, mg) in my experience, it's been as simple as keeping nutrients low. Not just PO4 and NO3, but everything else we can't test for. I have a high fish load like you, and if I'm not careful, my corals go brown very quickly (kind of like they are now ). Also, because fish are more important to me than corals, I've simply stopped trying to keep certain kinds. Many of the tricolors, humilis, etc will never be gorgeous in my tank. On the other hand, things like the cali tort look great. I've learned through trial and error which corals look best in my non-nutrient-poor tank

Thanks very much for the kind words, BTW! And FWIW, I don't think your corals look brown at all!
Might be I set too high a standard to myself

Finally found someone same as me : fishes are more important. I feed them like crazy and my wife once said that I feed my fishes better than myself Anyway, still a long way to go.
Old 09/14/2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I feed them like crazy and my wife once said that I feed my fishes better than myself Anyway, still a long way to go.
LOL, so true...my fish get gourmet fresh seafood, while I eat tuna out of a can

Old 09/14/2007, 10:02 AM
DSB are gooood, mmkay?

I'll take that "ugly" monticap off your hands.
1 Coral Beauty
3 Wrasse
2 Clowns
2 Gobies
1 Yellowtail Damsel
1 Candy Hogfish
Old 09/14/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I will take anything ugly in your tank you dont want. Heck I will even pay for S&H. Maybe then my ugly bare tank will be less ugly and less bare. Any donations?
Old 09/15/2007, 03:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdentii1
I will take anything ugly in your tank you dont want. Heck I will even pay for S&H. Maybe then my ugly bare tank will be less ugly and less bare. Any donations?
If I am in the state I will be glad to have some donated....The stag horn is out-growing all others to say the least.

In HK exchange of life stock is very uncommon, and no LFS will take your things. Over grown is a big headache here.
Old 09/15/2007, 03:20 AM
This statement is false.

Quote:
Originally posted by kidchill
What kind of camera are you using? Try turning all of the lights off in the house and if your camera has a "night" auto-setting, use that. Forget about the flash, don't even use it. Most point-n-shoot cameras have large apertures and low zoom settings to allow for landscape shots easily as well as low light situations. Also, take pics straight on (keep camera parallel to the tank) to cut down on distortion. If, and it may not have it, there is an ISO setting. Turn the ISO up as high as you can, it may be a little more grainy, but at least you'll get the shot. I think most point-n-shoots have an ISO b/n 50-100, which isn't much, but it's worth checking out. Hope that helps you get a nice pic of your ugly tank!!! J/K If you want, we can trade tanks and then I'll take some nice pics of my new ugly tank!!! HeHe
I have to disagree with some points. Firstly the flash is useful to illuminate the tank's cabinet if that is to be included, but yes I agree not necessary for the actual tank's contents. Large aperture = small Depth of Field = NOT landscape. I think you swopped your terminology around. A small aperture = high F-number = large depth of Field. Taking pics straight on is only necessary when shooting something *inside* of the tank - this minimises distortion as you correctly stated. However taking a picture of the whole tank from that distance would not induce visible distortion but will allow him to exclude his own reflection as well as his flash's.

And with regards to ISO - his camera can do 100 - 3200. I agree boost it up as high as you can, but where I differ is where "as high as you can" is defined at. All point and shoot small cameras uses small CCD's, which translates to HUGE noise at higher ISO. So much the photo is utterly useless. Much better is just to use a tripod - even a cheap one will work wonders.

Look at the "Low Contrast Details" section:

Camera

It is clear any setting above ISO 100 is useless for preserving any kind of low contrast details.
Old 09/15/2007, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr31415
I have to disagree with some points. Firstly the flash is useful to illuminate the tank's cabinet if that is to be included, but yes I agree not necessary for the actual tank's contents. Large aperture = small Depth of Field = NOT landscape. I think you swopped your terminology around. A small aperture = high F-number = large depth of Field. Taking pics straight on is only necessary when shooting something *inside* of the tank - this minimises distortion as you correctly stated. However taking a picture of the whole tank from that distance would not induce visible distortion but will allow him to exclude his own reflection as well as his flash's.

And with regards to ISO - his camera can do 100 - 3200. I agree boost it up as high as you can, but where I differ is where "as high as you can" is defined at. All point and shoot small cameras uses small CCD's, which translates to HUGE noise at higher ISO. So much the photo is utterly useless. Much better is just to use a tripod - even a cheap one will work wonders.

Look at the "Low Contrast Details" section:

Camera

It is clear any setting above ISO 100 is useless for preserving any kind of low contrast details.
Thank you for your advice but, er, I don't know what you are talking about

By the way I used tripod from the very beginning....and for the latest pics I set the ISO to 200, with flash off.
Old 09/15/2007, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

I see that you have two different genus of anemones in the same tank. How long have you had them together in the same tank if I may ask?
Beautiful acropora colonies! Great job you've done!
Old 09/15/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shutiny
I see that you have two different genus of anemones in the same tank. How long have you had them together in the same tank if I may ask?
Beautiful acropora colonies! Great job you've done!
I have more than 2 anemones if you count Aiptasia.

Well, both are in the tank since the very beginning....some 5 years now. I am not sure about the exact species of them but when I brought them I thought one will be at the top and one at the bottom. Fortunately I was right.

Thank you for you kind words but the acropora are only big...colour is not satisfactory to me.