Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/13/2007, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

Squirrel cage design fan may be a quieter and stronger if somewhat larger. Trade offs
Old 05/13/2007, 03:30 PM

Another initiation.. this time its a Majestic Angel - Pomacanthus Navarchus. Its suppose to be the most safest out of the Pomacanthus family. The color of this fish is a great addition for diversity. No issues with any of the other angels. Everyone is happy.

Old 05/13/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Nice addition. A pair of pygmy angels would be nice... maybe a harem of 8 resplendens
Old 05/13/2007, 04:31 PM
clownfish fan

that is a awsome awsome fish. people who come to your house and dont know much about fish will think that one is the coolest(wow factor). also ive heard they have a nice personality. Are you noticing that the angels are pretty "smart"? do they interact or just pass each other?\

How is the butterfly doing?
Old 05/13/2007, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

Nice angel E! Majestic has always been one of my favorite angels.
Old 05/13/2007, 06:40 PM

Cantonesefish, you must be reading my mind! 8 Respelended's would be ideal, but im sure you and I both know that that would never happen especially since they are illegal. I do plan to add some pygmy's now. Those guys act more territorial and thats why I have been staying away from them right now. It would be a pain to get a pygmy out. I definitely want a pair of pygmy's or even 3 plus. I almost pulled the trigger on some that naka referred me to for 3 Potters, but wanted something a little more uncommon.

GSM, each angel has its unique personality. The Blue spotted loves to go around the sand looking for inverts to eat. The Flagfin likes to eat out of my hand. The Bellus is like any other fish and just swims around. He's the quickest. The Majestic is still getting acclimated into his new home and Im sure he will be fantastic. The bannerfish is very docile.. reminds me of a cardinalfish's personality. The reason I got the Majestic was because of its unique color over any other fish. It was either him or the Blueline. The risk of the blueline was larger though.

James, Thanks man! It's now time to concentrate more on the corals. Im in search for a nice anemone. Something different.
Old 05/13/2007, 06:59 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Im in search for a nice anemone. Something different.
what kind of anemone are you looking for?

also what kind of clowns would you want?
Old 05/13/2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
what kind of anemone are you looking for?

also what kind of clowns would you want?
Hey GSM.. im looking for a non RBTA or GBTA. I saw a purple anemone on liveaquaria recently which caught my eye, but it is not there anymore. No carpets.. just a nice colorful anemone. As for the fish, I got two perc clowns already.

Old 05/13/2007, 08:07 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

The purple one that you saw was most likely a purple LTA (Macrodactyla doreensis) I got one of these about 3 weeks ago from there, but its foot was damaged and it didn't make it. But I have one in my other tank.

Here is a bad pic of it.

BTW love your Majestic Angel, I have a juvi blue face.
And since I am showing pics. He was a little beat up from my Lemonpeel -- so the Lemonpeel was sold.

Old 05/13/2007, 08:22 PM
clownfish fan

the purples on divers den were H. Malu,

i think a nice H crispa or an S. gigantea would be best for them neither are big fish eaters like haddoni or magnifica.

P.S. your tank is perfect for another pair of clowns as well like a couple onyx, picasso, or snowflakes. 300g is definetly big enough for 2 pair of percs or ocellaris.
Old 05/13/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the link

I see you have to go to http://www.rpelectronics.com/ to order...
Old 05/13/2007, 09:52 PM

PLTAs can be a real hassle too. My GBTAs behave well and just get really big...like 20 - 26". My PLTA, just as I had been warned several times about, will stay in one spot for 2 - 3 weeks and then decide it wants to cruise around the tank tasting everything. Dring a visit with Steve Weast, he confessed that he had sold his to someone else for that very reason...bummer because I got mine becuase his was so beautiful!
Old 05/14/2007, 06:41 AM

This is good experience information guys on the LTA's. Im glad you guys are discussing this because it sways me from one anemone to another. If the LTA's move around so much, would it be an issue to sew into an LTA's foot and tie it up to a rock? I have done this with other softies and they grow very well. It's kind of like surgery for a human.. it doesnt hurt us and only helps us. Do the LTA's like to find a deep crevice to anchor their foot like a BTA or do they like other types of surfaces?

Todd, nice fish!! Thats what happened to my multicolor angel. My orange shoulder nipped him to death.

GSM, I like your thinking about the snowflakes. Where can you find those?
Old 05/14/2007, 09:07 AM

I haven't heard of anyone fastening an anemone down. My research does point to the PLTA probably enjoying a DSB, which I do not have. My PLTA will spend time under the rocks, but has also been right out front for extended periods. Often I have read that anemones find a spot they like and stick with it, and that when one is unhappy it will move around.

Both Steve Weast's tank and my own support other anemones quite well. Steve has 30+ RBTAs in his tank and I have 2 GIANT GBTAs in mine. I have had a struggle with the hPLTA and recently found out that it likes shrimp. It would not eat the silversides and other food the GBTAs eat. Since I have been feeding it shrimp, it has been much healthier, but then the latest release and ensuing fight with a Vortech pump caused it a grat deal of stress.
Old 05/14/2007, 09:12 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Thanks invincible -- I am sooo glad I sold that Lemonpeel -- I had even put in the sump for 3 weeks, and redid the rock work -- that didn't work at all. The blue face is so much happier now -- out and about and eats like a pig. But, sorry to hear that yours was nipped to death.

My PLTA hasn't moved in about 2 months -- just prior to that it got sucked into my SIEO --- looked awful afterwards, but has made a great comeback. IME, they will move when something (even minor) changes -- lazy on WC, move a powerhead, accidently drip too much Kalk (that is what I think happened the last time). But, mine doesn't anchor like a BTA, it likes to be in the sandbed with its foot attached to the bottom of the tank -- though it seems to like its foot attached to the part of the glass that is under a rock.
Old 05/14/2007, 09:19 AM
clownfish fan

i had my LTA for two years never moved...... they like to be in sand with foot on rock

do not tie an anem damage to an anemones foot is the hardest for them to recover from, sometimes a small tear can kill the anemone in a day.

there was a pair of snowflakes on divers den a few days ago but i will get you the number to somebody that can order them because the ones on divers den were expensive and went in 5 minutes.

the other option would be a pair of Rods onyx,(my fav)
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=833027
Old 05/19/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Hi Edward,

How's it going? Have you added anything new to the tank this last week?

How is the Majestic doing? Is he leaving everything alone?

How about the Bellus? have you found a mate to your female (??)?

Take Care,

Chad
Old 05/19/2007, 10:57 PM

Hey Chad!! Actually I have. I got some great frags from Kevin who is a local friend of mine. I also got a new BTA for my clowns. Not only that.. I've been on maintain mode since I have been browsing the watch forums looking for a new timepiece. Some people are very serious about their watches just like we are about our reef tanks. And of course.. I had to add the reef tank to the background pics for my watches!! Im not sure if there are any other watch fanatics on this forum or not? Check it out!

TAG HEUER CARRERA & TAG HEUER LINK with Diamonds

Old 05/19/2007, 11:02 PM

As for the Angels.. they are doing very well! No problems at all. The only problem I ran into was the Flagfin nipping at the pink chalice. Ever since I moved it to the very top, he has not touched it. The Majestic is also doing great. I noticed he is the Alpha Angel now and picked out his spot. No mate yet for the Bellus.

Here's a pic of the BTA. So beautiful.

Old 05/19/2007, 11:05 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

That BTA should color up nicely with your lights, but hope that it doesn't move too much on you right now, it is a bit bleached - IMO.

But, glad to hear that the angles are doing so well. I tried my hand with a Keyhole dwarf. It only made it 3 days. There was some sort of "sore" on its one side. Of course the day it died it was eating like a pig and swimming around fine.
Old 05/19/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

everything is looking great. Tag's are very cool watches...someday .

Chalice looks really nice

Love the french tips

Chad
Old 05/20/2007, 07:33 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

FWIW ... My RBTA used to move often, once my o. clowns began hosting it, it has not moved ...two years plus attached to the same spot on a relatively small rock (knock wood) ... I even upgraded to a 120 and moved rock, RBTA & clown pair on one shot on a 5 g bucket! I positioned that rock in a similar spot or light and flow in the new tank ... 9 months there and all are still staying put.

Good luck looks awesome!

... nice watches ... and your french manicure is impeccable as well
Old 05/20/2007, 12:45 PM
unorthodox reefer

Hey Ed tanks looking great, BTW your hands look very soft and gentle must be from the saltwater. is that the new Giesemann nail polish i keep hearing about? j.k
Old 05/20/2007, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

nice watches!...i have a Tag Kirium but will soon be upgrading to a Yacht-Master, graduation is just around the corner,lol.
Old 05/20/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Invincible,

Nice thread, cool tank. Are you just adding fish with no quarentine, what about a disease outbreak, arn't you worried. The quality of those fish seams great are they from one source, LFS, or an online vendor.

MGB