Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2007, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

Ordering some fish-- anyone want in?(Palatine)

I live 2 minutes from Harper college. I am ready to stock my tank so I will be ordering some fish today or tomorrow. If you want in, let me know. I usually order from liveaquaria, but I will be looking for the best prices that has most of what I am looking for.
Pajama/spotted cardianal
firefish
Neon pseudochromis
green mandarin
dragon face pipefish
Anthsis
Blenny

Any reco's on anyplace other than liveaqiaria(which has been great) would be appreiated.

LMK

Keith
Old 10/24/2007, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Keith, Liveaquaira is great, as you know I'm rebuilding so I'm out. But if I may say so, adding a Neon pseudochromis with the other fish you have listed would most likely be a recipe for disaster. Especially with the pipe fish, mandarin and firefish. I know at 225g you have plenty of room, but the pipefish and mandarin are roamers, and I'm sure they would find their way in the pseudo's territory more than a few times. I love those fish, but they are down right nasty. I learned the hard way!

BTW-here is a pic of that Favia with the blob from a while back. It has been like that for as long as I can remember!

Old 10/24/2007, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice I definitely don't want any fish trouble. I won't mess with the bubble, I didn't know it was that way for so long. Unless somebody convinces me otherwise I will leave it. (the bubble on the favia)
Old 10/24/2007, 10:25 AM
A.K.A. colinadam

I had a peaceful pseudochromis, it is called a blue bar psuedochromis and I got it from www.marinecenter.com

Kept it in a nano with a firefish, YWG and a Blue Assesor w/o a problem, very nice fish if you want an alternative to the neon.

Liveaquaria's Diver Den had an ORA Indigo Dottyback a few days ago, beautiful blue color and a hybrid of 2 of the more peaceful dottybacks out there.
Old 10/24/2007, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Looks like live aquaria--here is what I am getting, Let me know if you see any problems. Anthais Lyretail, 1 male, 2 females, 2 spotted(pj) Cardinalfish, 2 Firefish, and a green Mandarin. I have about $75 more before shipping goes up so let me know if you want something with free shipping. I will be placing the order tonight, unless there is a LFS with similar prices(LMK). Thay were out of stock on the midas blenny and the dragon face pipefish. Debating on 3 blue/green chromis.

Thanks
Old 10/24/2007, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

How long has your tank been up and running Keith? You're making it sound like you really haven't had fish in the tank..am I wrong? You might want to hold off on the more delicate/ expensive fish...I'd start out with a small school of blue/green or blue reef chromis..a tank that large would give them plenty of room to swim and school. 5 or 7 would look great. If you like firefish, they are also comfortable in schools..you could go that route.Get 5 or 6 of them. Are you loaded with pods for the Mandarin?
Old 10/24/2007, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the help. The tank has been established for 5 years with 400lbs of live rock and a ton of pods. I have always had it stocked but recently got rid of my tangs to make room for more peaceful fish that won't mess with my corals. I was thinking that by taking out 15" of tangs would equal about what I was going to buy.
Old 10/24/2007, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

And then some....I'd go with an odd number for the cardinals...that would make the adjustment easier...3 or even 5 would be better...they are more comfortable in groups...induces feeding response...
Old 10/24/2007, 05:19 PM
CMAS Member!

Keith, I would suggest keeping the mandrian in a small preeders net untill you see him/her feeding. I saw an interesting thread about getting them onto pellet food. I feel this is a must for him to survive. Check it out.
Hope this helps....Carl
this is the link
Mandrian to pellet food.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:33 PM
WRS Member

I have about $75 more before shipping goes up so let me know if you want something with free shipping.

There is something I've been looking at in the divers den. I wasnt aware that you could get free shipping. Is that true. How are you going to handle this order, pick-up, etc.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Its not free shipping, I will pay for the shipping as long as your order doesn't put me over what I was going to pay anyway, if it does I think it is $5 more. You would have to pick it up from my house.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:42 PM
Moved

If you place your order with Live Aquaria, I'd be in for:

2x Green Mandarins (Medium) 1 Male and 1 Female
3x Blue/Green Chromis

Please LMK. Thanks.
Old 10/24/2007, 11:03 PM
barnacle boy

im also interested in a naso tang. the smallest one they have Naso lituratus, they just ran out of stock so if it comes back before you order let me know.

where are you located? hope its not more then an hour from chicago. thanks
Old 10/25/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

I teach in Harper Tuesday and Thursday. When are you ordering? I may be interested in a few things.
Old 10/25/2007, 07:22 AM
Premium Member

Already ordered--sorry
Old 10/25/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

No problem. Thanks.
Old 10/29/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Keith, I was thinking about getting some Anthias from liveaquaria. Did you specifically ask for 1 male and 2 females? How did you guarantee that you wouldnt end up with 3 males or something like that?
Old 10/30/2007, 07:12 AM
Premium Member

They sell them as male and females--they look like completely different fish. Male red female orange