Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

green grassy algae

In my 55g I have green algae that almost looks like grass growing in one corner of my tank. I just checked my parameters:

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:2.5

and they seem normal. What can I do to get rid of this algae? Also my sand is turning brown almost everywhere. My tank has been established for about 5 months and this started about 2 weeks ago. Could it be my lighting? I have two regular flourescent tubes as lighting (I am looking for t5 lights as replacements) since I have a FOWLER tank.
I was advised to get a sand sifting goby of some kind to help with the sand. Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks for the help
Old 10/19/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

How old is the tank?

Any clean up crew?

The bulbs may be bad check your phosphates also
Old 10/19/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

The tank is about 5 months old, I have maybe 10 hermit crabs and 3 small turbo snails. My big turbo snails have slowly died in the last 2 months. I dont think my phosphates should be bad because i fill with filtered RO water from the store.
Old 10/19/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Do you know if that's RO water or RO/DI water?
Old 10/19/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

its RO water
Old 10/19/2007, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

a sea bunny is great for eating all your green hair algae.
Old 10/19/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Since it is almost all located in one corner, do you think if I direct more flow in that corner it will help? Currently, I have only 1 Maxijet1200 in the tank
Old 10/19/2007, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

When I had mine it wasn't a question of flow the more I messed with it the more it grew. I even had it growing on the outlet of the pumps, so again I assume it wasn't flow. My problems were the nitrates. I kept getting low readings, but come to find out this was because the hair algae was eating all of the nitrates. Well this is what I was told anyways. I put some chaeto in my sump and bought a sea bunny that eat all the hair algae very quickly. Now I don't have a problem and the chaeto seems to keep the nitrates in check.
Old 10/19/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

You need more flow.
I have 2 maxi-jet 1200s and a Koralia #1 cross from the back.
My questions would be:
Do you dose anything?
How often do you feed and how much?
Are you feeding Nori to the tang and is it near that particular corner?
Old 10/19/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

I dose purple up once or twice a week. I feed 1-2 times a day for a total of 1-1/2 mysis shrimp cubes a day. Sometimes I replace the mysis with Rod's food. I dont feed the tang Nori but I hang seaweed for him to nibble on all day. It is not in that corner
Old 10/19/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Increased flow does not negatively affect hair algae. It even seemed to grow better with more flow. As for the brown stuff on your substrate, that will probably go away with more flow and time. Sounds like a pretty typical algae succession. I had the same problem right around the same time. I just kept up with water changes (10%) per week and made sure I was using good water and everything eventually went away. It took about 2-3 months to get rid of, but I don't have any algae anymore.

The snails dying could indicate something with the water. But, most people will tell you that they are not as hardy as you might think. Make sure you drip acclimate them well when adding. Oh, and make sure they didn't die because they fell off a rock and landed upside down. Those big turbos are not very good at turning themselves back over. If you don't notice and right them within a few hours, the other clean up crew members will make sure there is nothing left to turn over.

Regarding your RO water, I wouldn't be surprised if the grocery store RO machine had some phosphates. I have used that water before with no problems, but it really depends on how often the company changes the filters and how many people use it.
Old 10/19/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Whoa, 1-1/2 mysis cubes a day.
The frozen ones?
I have:

2 clowns
1 lawnmower blenny
2 damsels
1 green chromie
1 pink tipped Haitian anenome

And I feed less than a third of a cube if that a day.
And a couple sprinkles of Ora food for the clowns some days.
And some flake to break it up.
Some days I only feed a little flake.

I would cut that back.
I know I don't have much more experience with this than you do.
But I had a nano tank go HA to the max on me.It can be a real PITA.
Old 10/19/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

yeah I agree it seems that you are overfeeding. it can never hurt to add more flow since its only in one corner that may the case cause if it was through out the tank then you know that its not the flow.
Old 10/19/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Rinse the frozen food in DI water before you put it in the tank, theres loads of nutrients in between the chunks of meat.