Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/07/2006, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

Here's a closer shot. But I hope you know, even if yours looks exactly like the pink lemonade, it isn't because it's not from the same lineage.
Old 09/08/2006, 12:04 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ViPeR_930
Here's a closer shot. But I hope you know, even if yours looks exactly like the pink lemonade, it isn't because it's not from the same lineage.
That looks like the same as mine.

As for the lineage thing I will not get into that.MINE COST LESS
Old 09/08/2006, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maggiesaqsup
That looks like the same as mine.
With all due respect, the coralite structure on yours looks nothing like the pink lemonade.
Old 09/08/2006, 12:26 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ViPeR_930
With all due respect, the coralite structure on yours looks nothing like the pink lemonade.
ok
Old 09/08/2006, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Old 09/08/2006, 01:12 AM
Moved On

now that is way different than mine.Still looks cool.
Old 09/08/2006, 01:16 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Its kind of a crazy coral - especially seeing RF new blueish frag! My MH has been off for a couple weeks and he's been shaded - and the purple leading edge similar to fishypets has spread to axials. Its cool though - no matter what color it turns - its either green/yellow/purple or pink. How many corals turn purple when abused. ;-) I think the coolest thing about the coral is the polyp with the one extra long "tentacle".

Check out RF description. I think they recently changed it on their auction since I don't remember reading this a few days back (might be my mistake though)

Quote:
This Acropora is an exotic coral with brilliantly colored pink polyps that extend during the day. The main branch stems are colored bright lime green. One of the tentacles in each polyp will super extend and this gives the thin branching Acropora a hairy pink appearance. The coral also has some purplish/blue pigments that can appear in the base or on branches. The coral grows slowly and it has not been widely distributed. We currently believe that the coral was originally exported from the Solomons. Steve Tyree is maintaining a farmed section of this coral for Reeffarmers.com in one of his 125 gallon naturally filtered Tri-Zonal Reef Aquariums. In Steve's captive reef the coral is positoned to recieve strong light levels under a 400 watt 20,000 K Radium Metal Halide. It should be noted however that this Pink Lemonade Acropora has morphed within Steve's system (see last image below). Corallites have rounded and pigments have shifted. The brilliant lime green has been replaced with purplish/pink. Polyps are also more white pigmented and only partially extend. We do not know why this has occurred at this time. The coral is encrusting well in its base area which it was not doing within Hugo's reef. In his reef the colony consisted of numerous long vertical branches. See the above Web Page Link for the long interesting history this coral has had in captivity.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 09/08/2006, 01:39 AM

Well since this us about the pink lemonade I guess I should post a picture of the only serviving frag from Hugos colony. It only made it becuase it was in his frag tank and was one of the few pieces that I took in to bring back. As of right now its still some what stressed out and does not have the same pollyp extension on the parent colony but it seem to be recovering well. This was an almost dead frag but has since gotten beter.

"we are that which can not be seen, just shadows in the darkness that we call the light"
Old 09/08/2006, 02:03 AM
AIM: reefer on a budget

if anyone can go back in the day pull a pic of robz's. he got his frag from me several years ago and ive never seen anyone color theirs as crazy as rob. then again, everything in his tank was brilliantly colorful.
Old 09/08/2006, 04:21 AM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G Blenny
That's the closest I could come up with also. I don't really think it is an A. horrida but I can't think of anything else it could be. I guess I'll have to break out the Veron books again. I don't think they will help on this one.
Yeah, I think that someone would actually have to literally contact Veron directly to find out about this coral. It would probably be worth it considering the amount of craziness that it is causing in the hobby! But A. horrida probably is going to be the closest we can get and considering how corals could probably mutate or have different polymorphisms like other animals, it could be vrey difficult to be absolutely sure.
Old 09/08/2006, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

I have noticed my littel frag, pictured on page one, has gone more green this past week. I was pretty amazed when I compared it to the pic I took a week and a half ago. I run zeo and, as such, supplement various parts of the zeo "stuff" I wonder if this coral is responding to certain supplements that I started adding in the past few weeks. For instance, I increased my iron supplementation three weeks ago. This would certainly lead to more green pigments in certain corals if iron was a little low in the tank, which I suspected was. I have some frags that stay very consistant colors, others definately respond to my supplements and the colors shift depending on the week. Now, I am not saying they change color completely, I just notice some corals are more susceptible to the tank params. I think this lemonade might be one that shifts colors in my tank more than others. The purple leading edge is definately geting stronger as well.

Mchava, my frag from tubbs via Hugo back in May looked identicle to that one, only more green, the day I took the first frag pic. It was definately stressed out that first day but recovered quickly. This seems like a relatively hardy little coral as far as acros go. Sad to think of that whole lemonade colony, as well as all of Hugo's great stuff, gone .
Old 09/08/2006, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Mine

Hugo's

They look familar don't they, that is because that is where my frag came from. so I know where the linage is from?

That flourecent yellow nub with white polyps?????????
P
Old 09/08/2006, 01:44 PM
SPS nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Mchava
Well since this us about the pink lemonade I guess I should post a picture of the only serviving frag from Hugos colony. It only made it becuase it was in his frag tank and was one of the few pieces that I took in to bring back. As of right now its still some what stressed out and does not have the same pollyp extension on the parent colony but it seem to be recovering well. This was an almost dead frag but has since gotten beter.
I have a piece in my tank which also originated from Hugo's colony. PM me if you want details.
Old 09/08/2006, 01:46 PM
SPS nut

Quote:
Originally posted by gotfish8
Mine

Hugo's

They look familar don't they, that is because that is where my frag came from. so I know where the linage is from?

That flourecent yellow nub with white polyps?????????
To me they do not look the same. Did your frag actually come from Hugo?
Old 10/14/2006, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mchava

wow!!! mario my last piece of the pink lemonade now looks better than when you took it