Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

6ft tank HM help

Im am in the process of upgrading my lights on my 155g bow front. The tank is 6ft long and I really have no clue about lighing at all. Can you help point me in the right direction and explain what to look for. Most everything that I see is for 4 ft tanks.

My tank has well over 200 lbs of live rock but still an ample amount of room for fish to swim.

My filter is a 55g custom built acrylic sump with. The dual over flow goes into filter socks and then onto lr i have in the sump. The scond chamber has my 9watt uv ( i know this is small for a 155) my tunze 9015 skimmer, phosban reactors one with phosban and one with reef carbon and then returned in my mag 18 pump in the thrid chamber.

Currently I have no corals and little amount of fish. I want to upgrade to keep zoas, mushrooms, frogspawn, to start.

My stock list as of now is
2 Clowns
5 Reef Chromis
1 Royal Grama
1 Pixi Hawk
1 Damzel
Old 10/02/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

You could go with power compacts, but I bet in a year or two you will be asking for advise to upgrade so you can keep lps and then sps. For 6 footers there are several choices based on what you want to keep for livestock, how much you want to spend and what approach (retro, fixture, etc) you take. I have the Current USA Outer Orbit (combo mh and t5) - I like it alot - I have 1/2 lps and 1/2 sps - very pleased with these lights.
Old 10/02/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

I was planning on spending around 1000 or under for my lighings unless there is a huge difference for something over 1000. Can you post a picture of your fixture.
Old 10/02/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

what should i be looking for when selecting a bulb.
Old 10/02/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Im sure you are looking for a fixture im assuming you dont have a canopy, correct?
Old 10/02/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

correct
Old 10/02/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

I know Current makes a 3x150w HQI and a 3x250w HQI fixture that is 72" in length. For a tank with your height I'd go with a 250w model of whatever brand you choose.
Old 10/02/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

if i purchase a 150w fixture can i upgrade the bulbs to 250w later or does the fixture only support 150w. If I do purchase the 250w with t5's would the supply enough light to keep any coral?
Old 10/02/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

No, the lamps in the fixture are bulb/ballast specific. I'd go 250 because of the tank height. This will eliminate a foreseen future upgrade and will allow you to stock just about any type of light loving reef animal. You have too many options not to do it. I own and am a big fan of the Sunpod. It is a metal halide only sytstem. Supplemental lighting isn't necessary, although some may disagree. It is used to simulate a dawn and dusk and add more blue to some bulbs like 10k that may run a little yellow. Aesthetics. Plug and play all the way. They are also around or under your price range.
Old 10/02/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the help